HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
understatement of the millennium.

but if you're in the market for a $20,000 sofa, he's your man!
To be fair, that was for the set. A large sofa (about 9' long) and two arm chairs. I also didn't pay retail.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Feb 2, 2018 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
That would be stretching it far beyond reality.

Even stretching 'Greater Cleveland' to far NE Ohio to places like Conneaut/Kingsville/Ashtabula area is pushing it, as those places are probably just as connected to Erie (if not moreso) as they are to Cleveland, i.e., Erie TV stations, commuting, shopping, etc.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I haven't skied since I moved to Texas. I'd ski if Houston had ski slopes and snowed but I'll have to wait 50 or so million years for that but in the meantime...has to be a pain in the ass to drag skis on a plane and then stay at some lodge in CO and be swamped by thousands of other assholes on the ski slope.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Both Ashtabula and Conneaut are in the Erie TV market. Not Cleveland.

https://nocable.org/availability-rep...abula-oh-44004

https://nocable.org/availability-rep...30-conneaut-oh

Not to mention that probably the entire populations of both towns invade Erie's crappy mall and big box stores 7 days per week.

Last edited by pj3000; Feb 2, 2018 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Skiing is an expensive hobby and no one should think otherwise.
Not really. Not if you live in Denver, Vancouver, LA, Salt Lake city... really anywhere in the mountain West.

I could drive an hour up the mountain and be on the slopes for less than $60 for an all day lift ticket including equipment rental. Not everyone wants to or needs to make a vacation out of it.

Last edited by badrunner; Feb 2, 2018 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I haven't skied since I moved to Texas. I'd ski if Houston had ski slopes and snowed but I'll have to wait 50 or so million years for that but in the meantime...has to be a pain in the ass to drag skis on a plane and then stay at some lodge in CO and be swamped by thousands of other assholes on the ski slope.

You could also take up water skiing! Fun, but not the same, definitely less painful when you take a spill on a jump.

The best part of the ski lodge is beer, bad hair, chapped face, ski bunnies and walking around really awkwardly with your clunky boots on.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:48 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:

Not to mention that probably the entire populations of both towns invade Erie's crappy mall and big box stores 7 days per week.
I still wish Erie would've landed that "Superstation" that was proposed back in the 1990s due to the city's equidistant location between three major markets (Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
You have to be a seriously skilled skier to travel with skis.

I travel with my own helmet and boots, because that makes for an enormous difference in comfort and fit (and wearing someone else's is kind of gross). But I don't even own a board and bindings. I do call ahead to rental shops to ask what equipment they have, but you can always at least rent last year's top of the line skis and snowboards.

Also, the key to avoiding crowds is to spend most of your time off piste.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Not really. Not if you live in Denver, Vancouver, LA, Salt Lake city... really anywhere in the mountain West.

I could drive an hour up the mountain and be on the slopes for less than $60 for an all day lift ticket plus equipment rental. Not everyone has to or needs to make a vacation out of it.
Lift tickets alone are expensive in the US. That's one thing that is dramatically cheaper about Alpine skiing.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
You have to be a seriously skilled skier to travel with skis.

I travel with my own helmet and boots, because that makes for an enormous difference in comfort and fit (and wearing someone else's is kind of gross). But I don't even own a board and bindings. I do call ahead to rental shops to ask what equipment they have, but you can always at least rent last year's top of the line skis and snowboards.

Also, the key to avoiding crowds is to spend most of your time off piste.
We always had our own skis, boots, poles and other crap that came with them. Brothers had boards. Makes sense to rent though if you're traveling by plane.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Makes sense to rent though if you're traveling by plane.
It's the same as traveling with golf clubs, I don't see what the problem is. I would rather ride my board than an unknown rental.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Lift tickets alone are expensive in the US. That's one thing that is dramatically cheaper about Alpine skiing.
Lift tickets are as low as $20 for all day passes in the local ski areas. As for alpine skiing, it costs nothing to be in areas like this if you don't mind a little hike:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I still wish Erie would've landed that "Superstation" that was proposed back in the 1990s due to the city's equidistant location between three major markets (Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh).
oh man i remember that.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
oh man i remember that.
I don't remember this at all.

Maybe this was around the time that I started smoking weed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
When I see the words "Erie TV market" I'm getting visions of the movie UHF with Weird Al Yankovic.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Most people who are avid downhill skiers don't have the luxury of choosing their home based entirely on its convenience for skiing. Nor is it their only priority.

My point, which was a pretty simple one-off post until two people decided to quote it and accuse me of pretentiousness, was more or less exactly that - there is no good skiing in the Great Lakes, and so the city with the best access to skiing is the ones with the most flights to places that do have good skiing.
Many people from Toronto drive to various resorts in Quebec for ski vacations, about 5-8 hours depending on where you go. Definitely can categorize the skiing there as "good". There's also Vermont, Lake Placid, etc.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i love how there is a town on the minnesota coast called "castle danger." really seems like the "lost coast" of the u.s. side of the great lakes. i've never been there, looks intriguing.
i've never made it up to the minnesota superior shore either (duluth is as far as i've gone), but it looks pretty wild up there from pics:

source: http://www.charismaticplanet.com/pal...lake-superior/

source: http://www.travelandleisure.com/slid...lake-vacations

source: https://explorationvacation.net/2015...ch-sliver-bay/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
When I see the words "Erie TV market" I'm getting visions of the movie UHF with Weird Al Yankovic.
I never saw it, but it might not be that far off...

Although America's Polka King Frankie Yankovic was a Clevelander... not sure if he and Weird Al are related though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Many people from Toronto drive to various resorts in Quebec for ski vacations, about 5-8 hours depending on where you go. Definitely can categorize the skiing there as "good". There's also Vermont, Lake Placid, etc.
I cannot imagine for the life of me why any Torontonian would drive 5-8 hours to Quebec, rather than fly to Alberta or BC. The only possible answer is that it must be much, much cheaper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions