HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 3:10 AM

Here is the link to the Ariel location of the Cedar City Temple

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/cedarcity/aerial/

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:05 PM

Nice to see that the unemployment rate is improving in St. George. This should really help the area out. Excited for the future!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:21 PM

This is news about Cedar City. . . which almost breaks my heart, because I would love to see something like this in St. George.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25488354&nid...s_cid=queue-10

1,200 new jobs means significant growth coming for Cedar City in the next 20 years.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 5:55 PM

That's great news for Cedar City, but I'm not worried that St. George is not going to see a lot of business expansion into it's metro over the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 7:25 PM

Deal will bring 1,200 jobs to Cedar City

Quote:
Development incentives from the Governor's Office of Economic Development have cleared the way for a Cedar City firm to continue manufacturing parts for the SyberJet SJ30 and hire as many as 1,200 employees over the next 20 years.
Brice Wallace

The Enterprise

MSC Aerospace will make Cedar City the headquarters and a manufacturing site for subsidiary SyberJet Aircraft and also expand its subsidiary Metalcraft Technologies Inc. (MTI) there, resulting in 1,200 new jobs over the next two decades.

The announcement came Thursday, one day after the Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) board approved a pair of tax credit incentives to land the projects in Utah. GOED approved incentives of $16.8 million for SyberJet and $15 million for MTI.

MTI, an aircraft parts maker, acquired light business jet company SyberJet in 2011. MSC Aerospace had been considering placing the SyberJet plant at existing facilities near San Antonio, Texas. The new SyberJet facility will be an assembly plant for its SJ30 aircraft and be adjacent to the Cedar City Municipal Airport.

The $380 million SyberJet facility is expect to result in 240 new full-time jobs paying an average of twice the Iron County average wage. The $20 million expansion at MTI will result in 960 new jobs paying an average of at least 40 percent above the county average.

“MSC is excited to continue its long-standing relationships with Cedar City, Iron County and the state of Utah,” David J. Grant, MSC chairman, said. “We are proud of our track record of success in the aerospace industry and hope for a bright future southern Utah.”

MTI currently has 400 employees at a facility that houses corporate and staff offices, sheet metal fabrication, machining, heat treatment, inspection, and shipping and receiving operations. Its customers include Boeing, Bombardier’s Learjet, General Electric, Gulfstream, Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, SyberJet and Vought.

MTI acquired SyberJet in 2011 after one of its investors, Emivest Aerospace, went bankrupt following a dip in light aircraft demand. The SJ30 program once had the financial backing of several individuals and entities, including Gulfstream Aerospace, General Dynamics (now Lockheed-Martin), a collection of Taiwanese financial investors and Emirate Investment Development Corp. PDC (Emivest Aerospace).

Before acquiring SyberJet for $3.5 million, MTI did wing and fuselage manufacturing for the company and MTI will continue to be a major SyberJet subcontractor by manufacturing and assembling the majority of the SJ30 airframe structure. SyberJet’s website describes its SJ30 model as the world’s fastest and longest-range seven-seat light business jet and “the first new concept business jet to come onto the market since 1963.”

GOED board officials were excited for a chance to get the project. “These are very, very high paying jobs in a rural community,” said Jerry Oldroyd, chairman of the GOED board’s incentives committee. “It is in an aerospace cluster — right at the heart of the aerospace cluster. …”

“This is really a big deal for Cedar City,” said board chairman Mel Lavitt.

Oldroyd quickly agreed. “It’s not very often that we have a rural incentive of a $400 million capital investment that employs 1,200 people,” he said. “This is a huge deal not only for Cedar City but for the state of Utah.”

In addition to the incentives approved for SyberJet and MTI, the GOED board also approved up to $350,000 to be used to make up any shortfall for work to provide direct access between the SyberJet facility and the airport, estimated at $1 million and to be funded primarily with a federal grant and a Cedar City incentive. SyberJet said that the combined incentives from state and local governments total more than $43 million.

GOED officials said the SyberJet incentive project will result in wages of $280 million and new state tax revenues of $67 million over 20 years. The MTI expansion will mean total new wages of $740 million and state tax revenue of $60 million over 20 years.

“For nearly 25 years, MTI has been a valuable member of our community and operates two manufacturing facilities with over 250,000 square feet in Cedar City,” Cedar City Mayor Joe Burgess said. “MTI and its parent company, MSC, are cornerstones of our manufacturing community, providing our residents with good jobs and supplying the nation’s aerospace industry with top-quality products.”

“Utah’s aerospace industry is rapidly growing. We have the physical space, the technology and the workforce for aerospace companies to rapidly grow operations in Utah,” Gov. Gary R. Herbert said in a prepared statement. “I’m confident the MSC expansion will attract additional support vendors and other aerospace companies.”

Read more: The Enterprise - Deal will bring 1 200 jobs to Cedar City

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:26 AM

Family Dollar to open Utah distribution center
- St. George facility will eventually employ 450.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ution.html.csp

The Salt Lake Tribune

Retail discounter Family Dollar is opening a regional distribution center in early July in St. George that will be used to stock its stores in the West.

The center will initially employ 200 workers, with a second shift added at the start of next year. The workforce eventually will grow to 450 over a 20-year period...

The 800,000-square-foot building at the Fort Pierce Industrial Park is Family Dollar’s 11th distribution center nationally. The Utah facility will ship up to 70,000 cartons of products daily.

The board of the Governor’s Office of Economic Development approved a $4.3 million tax incentive for Family Dollar to build the $80 million warehouse.

The incentive will be parceled incrementally in the form of a tax credit over the next 20 years and is contingent upon the company adding the promised 450 jobs in that time period.

Since its opening in 1959, the North Carolina-based company has expanded to more than 7,000 stores nationwide, including 23 outlets in Utah.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 10:54 PM

Holland Centennial Commons - DIXIE STATE UNIVERSITY

VCBO ARCHITECTURE... http://www.vcbo.com/dsu-centennial-commons.html

Last edited by delts145; Mar 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 AM
The Drifter

I love that building. Very well done.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:57 AM
Space Magi

Agreed; very nice.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 6:05 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Wow. Very well done. We need some 'a that in Salt Lake.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 10:56 AM

Agree, beautiful execution and use of materials. This is one project where the outcome far exceeded the renderings. These same guys(VCBO) have been a major factor in the design of many new projects along the Wasatch Front, as you will notice in some other posts of yesterday. Also, they will be the group reponsible for the upcoming Law School at the U. of U.

Among the many projects that amazed me, were especially the many elementary, middle, and high school projects VCBO is designing throughout Utah. Wow, are the kids of today spoiled or what. Far exceeds the buildings of yesteryear.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:41 PM

Wow, glad to see that building is finished and being used....

Good News! I'm about a year closer to moving to St. George! I can hardly wait!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 11:30 AM

Deek, there's a great commercial playing here now in the L.A. market. This L.A. businessman gets onto to a direct flight to St. George for a day business trip. A very attractive flight attendant asks him, so what brings you to St. George? He replies that he's there for business, and just for a day. Well, he lands at the new airport and is enthralled by the incredible surrounding scenery, so forget business and he goes on a whirlwind day of outdoor fun. Anyway, he's on the plane back to L. A., utterly exhausted, and anxiously anticipating his next trip back to St. George.

The more Utah pushes that new St. George airport to the So. Cal market the better. That easy flight and St. George environs should be pushed as much as Park City.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 11:46 AM

New Fifth District Courthouse

VCBO ARCHITECTURE...
http://www.vcbo.com/tablet/5th-district-courthouse.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 2:58 PM

I bet most people on this forum hate the new courthouse

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:19 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
FWIW: I like it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
That is exactly what I thought when I first saw it. I can hear it now. Talk about how its just a poor attempt to remake a specific style, blah, blah, blah.

Congrats on the new court house. I don't really care for its design but I don't mind it either.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:43 PM

I think it looks good, and fits in quite nicely to the area it's in.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 4:59 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I like it. But it's one of those buildings I hope I never find myself in.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:06 PM
Space Magi

The interior looks nice but I can't say I like the design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West