HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I didn't even mention Chicago. I can understand deleting my post so as to save Crawford some embarrassment, though.

Is this built on top of an existing building?
No. The building on the lower right hand corner is a landmarked structure on Madison. It just appears to be on top of that.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It will... serve as an observation tower, which explains the top.
Speaking of observation decks: I have a friend visiting from overseas and I want to take him to the Top of the Rock at a time when there's enough sunlight to see the details of the buildings, but late enough in the day for the lights in the buildings to be turned on. My weather app says the sun sets around 8:15. Any help would be appreciated. I'm mostly wanting to know generally when the lights are turned on.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:40 AM

I don’t care how it looks, is a tall building that’s all I care about. It will get lost in the mix and add to the overall skyline

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Speaking of observation decks: I have a friend visiting from overseas and I want to take him to the Top of the Rock at a time when there's enough sunlight to see the details of the buildings, but late enough in the day for the lights in the buildings to be turned on. My weather app says the sun sets around 8:15. Any help would be appreciated. I'm mostly wanting to know generally when the lights are turned on.
Be up there at 7:45 and stay for an hour. It’ll be a treat.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

This. You'll get some of the best views, and also reflections from the towers. Really brings the facades to life of many towers based on the current lighting that occurs at dusk or near-dusk.

Also, bring some binoculars as well. They have ones that are coin operated, but I'd recommend a small pair.

Currently, the best deck IMO. Although 30 Hudson's Edge might be able to rival it once it opens.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 12:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think this tower is fine, though like I must have repeated a thousand times, I wish the top had more of a "tallest in New York" vibe going.

I'm not sure why I've seen so many posts about the residential towers though. This isn't and won't be among them. This is an office tower on an irregularly shaped lot that will "float" above it's neighbors. It will also serve as an observation tower, which explains the top.

I really hope (though I sincerely doubt) that the north and west facades have setbacks, and that it's not just a square shaft like the south and east facades. That would save this tower from being utterly absurd.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Be up there at 7:45 and stay for an hour. It’ll be a treat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

This. You'll get some of the best views, and also reflections from the towers. Really brings the facades to life of many towers based on the current lighting that occurs at dusk or near-dusk.

Also, bring some binoculars as well. They have ones that are coin operated, but I'd recommend a small pair.

Currently, the best deck IMO. Although 30 Hudson's Edge might be able to rival it once it opens.
Roughly what time of day do the buildings turn their lights on this time of year?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:22 PM
BANNED

The tower has character, enough said. Plenty of dull boxes going up, you can keep them. I'd rather this than another 50 HY or Manhattan West.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:19 PM

No. This looks like 50 HY got punched in the teeth.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 9:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Roughly what time of day do the buildings turn their lights on this time of year?
7 pm you will start to see some depending on the building. But this can be influenced by lighting and facade. 7:30 to 7:40 pm is when it will be start to increase in magnitude.

I'd recommend 8 pm on the dot for that perfect balance of light that will start to bring the street lights and window lights to life. From 8 pm to around 8:30, the change will come quickly, but you'll really see the city transition in a short period.

Hopefully its a clear, visible day when you go.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 9:50 PM

Citigroup Center on steroids. This will be another engineering marvel for NYC.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
7 pm you will start to see some depending on the building. But this can be influenced by lighting and facade. 7:30 to 7:40 pm is when it will be start to increase in magnitude.

I'd recommend 8 pm on the dot for that perfect balance of light that will start to bring the street lights and window lights to life. From 8 pm to around 8:30, the change will come quickly, but you'll really see the city transition in a short period.

Hopefully its a clear, visible day when you go.
Thanks man, much appreciated. TBH I'll probably get there at 6:30 before the prices go up and we'll just hang out there for two hours.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
No. This looks like 50 HY got punched in the teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

At this point, I'm just interested in getting up there to that observation level and experiencing everything that would be up there. Won't get to do that at CPT.

Anyway, it's worth noting that they did give this a 2022 completion date though. That would place it ahead of 270 Park. I put the whole approvals process roughly a year behind 270, so I can't really see 2022 being a completion date, unless they are plan to begin work immediately following approvals.

https://www.adamson-associates.com/project/tower-fifth

Quote:
Completion: 2022

Quote:
If you have time, just get up there early enough to enjoy both the day and night views. I've done it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
That's what I always thought.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
* posts deleted *

i cleared out all of the chicago vs. new york stupidity.

carry on.
And some my sales stat links that were not chicago v. new york...but it doesn't matter. I kind like the base of this tower from the renders. The transition is a bit awkward. But the base is pretty interesting and cool.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Thankfully, the plan to include a design approval in the midtown east rezoning was scrapped.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
And your point would be?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
And your point would be?
They have a right to build it, but it still will be hideous. You can't hide 1,550ft of uninspired crap. Can't stop it, but save for the observation deck it's never going to resonate with most New Yorkers. Just because people criticize something doesn't make them automatically right.. but in this case they wouldn't be wrong either even if the floor plans are all the rage with the tech companies now. I'm generally pro development. I loathe the NIMBYism of groups that want to not build large towers on the Lower East Side for instance who think they can get that done while maximizing affordable housing and minimizing the market housing that would make having sizable affordable components, well...actually affordable to developers. And I'm actually with you on 270 Park questioning the advisability of 10,000 square ft outdoor plaza when public access might well work better even if partially or mainly indoors, and not as large overall. It's just there never seems to be any question that sometimes, corporate decision making doesn't get things right. What is built is out of our hands, but it doesn't mean we have to love it, even admire it. Maybe I'm wrong, but if built I just don't see New Yorkers bursting with love and pride for that building.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
They have a right to build it, but it still will be hideous. You can't hide 1,550ft of uninspired crap. Can't stop it, but save for the observation deck it's never going to resonate with most New Yorkers.
Your subjective opinion. I believe, given the developer and architect, it will be stunning, and a landmark.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Your subjective opinion. I believe, given the developer and architect, it will be stunning, and a landmark.
Which is why we can't have a panel of "people" deciding what's good and bad for the skyline of the city. Some seem to think that a panel would equate to bold and beautiful designs, when it would ironically be just the opposite. Any design panel would for sure stick to the conservative guidelines of the city, made up of the likes of Amanda Burden. Remember when she decided that the Tower Verre just didn't cut it at a greater height? Well, it was her decision to make. Developers have enough hoops to jump through just surviving the approvals process. We don't need nitpickers trying to put their hands in the design process as well. Whether we get good buildings or bad, it needs to be left in the hands of the architects and developers who are designing and building these towers. Not people who may be pushing to meet their own agendas.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 3:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Which is why we can't have a panel of "people" deciding what's good and bad for the skyline of the city. Some seem to think that a panel would equate to bold and beautiful designs, when it would ironically be just the opposite. Any design panel would for sure stick to the conservative guidelines of the city, made up of the likes of Amanda Burden. Remember when she decided that the Tower Verre just didn't cut it at a greater height? Well, it was her decision to make. Developers have enough hoops to jump through just surviving the approvals process. We don't need nitpickers trying to put their hands in the design process as well. Whether we get good buildings or bad, it needs to be left in the hands of the architects and developers who are designing and building these towers. Not people who may be pushing to meet their own agendas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals