HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I've eaten at that Caspian restaurant but based on the sign in the window it was about to change hands/names. Great Persian food in the past.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Pizza Pizza is extremely soul-sucking. Remember the old radio commercials, with Pat Finelli (why do I even know his name), talking about Hot, Fresh, Hot, Fresh, Fresh, fresh, FRESH (how many times did the guy say 'fresh' in a 30 second spot?) pizza deals..."637-11-11 come to Cardboard Cardboard, hey hey hey!!"
Yes..I remember that jingle ha!!..What gives this little strip mall a grand slam whammy is the fact that that Pizza, Pizza is right next to a "First Choice" haircutters, and next to anther strip mall (second link), that has a 1 for 1 Pizza and a Rent To Own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I've eaten at that Caspian restaurant but based on the sign in the window it was about to change hands/names. Great Persian food in the past.
Too bad about it's neighbours!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^That is too ugly to be soul sucking. The ugliness kills you in a single dose before you even have the chance to recognize that your soul is permanently sucked away.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:04 PM

Quote:
^That is too ugly to be soul sucking. The ugliness kills you in a single dose before you even have the chance to recognize that your soul is permanently sucked away.
OK, so that also excludes Waterloo Student Housing. In that case, here is the template for most apartments across Ontario. Ugly or Soulsucking? Both apply perfectly!

Created by HomeStead, the masterminds behind most soulsucking apartments!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Soulsucking. It causes you to gaze in wonder...at how banal the design is.

Mississauga City Hall (and Clockzilla), on the other hand, is so ugly that a quick glance will turn the viewer into solid stone.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
^Soulsucking. It causes you to gaze in wonder...at how banal the design is.

Mississauga City Hall (and Clockzilla), on the other hand, is so ugly that a quick glance will turn the viewer into solid stone.
I have been inside Mississauga City Hall and went all the way up to the top floor . While the building on the outside makes your eyes want to leak out of your brain the inside is actually quite nice.

Square One is a good candidate for this thread!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's funny how the name of that horrid apartment building is the "Aldershot Apartments".

Camp Aldershot in NS was established as a military training base for the Boer War, and was in continual use afterwards for about 100 years. It was well known for drafty poorly constructed military barracks for the recruits. Maybe this student residence drew inspiration from Camp Aldershot.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's funny how the name of that horrid apartment building is the "Aldershot Apartments".

Camp Aldershot in NS was established as a military training base for the Boer War, and was in continual use afterwards for about 100 years. It was well known for drafty poorly constructed military barracks for the recruits. Maybe this student residence drew inspiration from Camp Aldershot.
. I believe it is referring to the borough of Aldershot. Which is soulsucking

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3198...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3116...2!8i6656?hl=en

Hey look, a clock just for Molson!
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3074...2!8i6656?hl=en

Brutal!
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3040...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Aldershot in the UK is also an army town, and also a craphole.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Aldershot in the UK is also an army town, and also a craphole.
Just checked on Wikipedia, and Camp Aldershot, NS was named after Aldershot, UK "the home of the British Army".

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Raise you
Those buildings look like they were placed on the property to get maximum height and tick off some setback boxes. What is their vintage..they look like a 70's design.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 5:24 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Me too, and I don’t like how they often have a cosmetics employee stationed near the entrance who greets all customers, even as they pivot towards the rest of the store. (I’m not in the target market for those products) I call the pivot away from the cosmetics department as I enter the store the Shoppers Drug Mart Loop.
I can't stand that ritual as I call it...it just always feels so strange and unappealing to go through and AROUND the cosmetics section, mostly when a "friendly" greeting is passed off to you. I used to shop there a good bit, but ever since this COVID thing I've been happy to shop elsewhere, definitely less soul sucking.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:43 PM

Soulsucking!

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:45 PM

And that place is a complete zoo too. I genuinely don't understand it.

The Niagara one is at least a bit less busy. Still not really my kind of place.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Soulsucking!
I hate, hate, hate this place. Worst traffic nightmare, even if you are not going there (look at what this place does to traffic along the 401 there in beautiful Milton). Parking is a fucking nightmare (just getting in/out of the parking lot can sometimes take an hour or more!), and then you've got the parking vultures to contend with (those really aggressive drivers that try to outrace you to a just-vacated spot) The place is chock full of extremely shallow, materialistic women waiting in line to buy another Coach purse, and their douche-bag, sulky-faced male counterparts.

the money saved is not worth the time/effort/lousy experience.

Oh, and it looks like a soul-sucking anti-paradise.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
I hate, hate, hate this place. Worst traffic nightmare, even if you are not going there (look at what this place does to traffic along the 401 there in beautiful Milton). Parking is a fucking nightmare (just getting in/out of the parking lot can sometimes take an hour or more!), and then you've got the parking vultures to contend with (those really aggressive drivers that try to outrace you to a just-vacated spot) The place is chock full of extremely shallow, materialistic women waiting in line to buy another Coach purse, and their douche-bag, sulky-faced male counterparts.

Parking has gotten better with the parking garage now, but it's still crazy. Especially in peak season in the fall.

I've been there exactly once. Hated every minute of it. Reminds me of outlet shopping in New Hampshire, except the prices are terrible, the crowds are suffocating, and you still have to pay 13% sales tax. No thanks.

The Niagara outlet mall is smaller, but much less busy. Prices are still just as terrible but at least you don't feel like you are fighting through crowds to get to an overpriced shoe.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:

Oh, and it looks like a soul-sucking anti-paradise.
. I remember that I had to drop one of my friends off there to meet someone (even she mentioned that it was depressing) and we had to do a ring around to one of the entrances and even that took a couple hours! I would post the MacArthur Glen Mall but that is too ugly to be soul-sucking. This is just banal.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

"Canadian" outlet shopping...

Reminds me of the Oscar Wilde quote about the second-greatest disappointment of American married life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada