HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Hequals2henry is the forum's photoshop master but I haven't seen him post in a while. If you are still out there h2h, how 'bout it please.
I'm here the Genral. I just photoshopped the building into a recently taken aerial photo just south of the river. I understand that this wasn't the most sunny day, but I think it makes it look more real. The 1040 ft would be dreamy, but I think either one of these would be a big win for the skyline.

870 ft

1040 ft

All credit of the original photo goes to the user Riverranchdrone, thanks for the photo.

Last edited by hequals2henry; Aug 10, 2017 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Wow. That thing makes a statement!

Thanks h2h

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:22 AM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hequals2henry View Post
I'm here the Genral. I just photoshopped the building into a recently taken aerial photo just south of the river. I understand that this wasn't the most sunny day, but I think it makes it look more real. The 1040 ft would be dreamy, but I think either one of these would be a big win for the skyline.

870 ft

1040 ft

All credit of the original photo goes to the user Riverranchdrone, thanks for the photo.
Wow great photoshopping. It is like it was originally in the photo.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:58 PM

Wow! Thanks h2h, that looks amazing!! Obviously the taller version is preferred, it may be our best and only hope of getting something in the thousand foot range, but either height will do. You are the best!

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 10, 2017 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:58 PM

Nice work!

Now, has anyone come up with a picture of the entire north shore skyline from Lamar to I-35 and up to the Capitol that has identifying labels for all the high rises completed & under construction?

I have no idea what the names are for 3/4s of those towers.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
How long does it typically take to get the site plan approved? Then how long till ground breaking would you guess? Thanks man.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:19 PM

Great 'shops, H2H.

This, coupled with the Independent (when finished) will utterly change the downtown silhouette.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:18 PM

Thanks for the photoshop.

Massive Building. Blocky Building. It looks a bit awkward with the flat top.

Now if we get a crown and spire on top, as Chiveman posted...WoW. It will be stunning!!! Even as photoshoped, Austin will enter the big league of skylines when this is finished. My, My, how Austin has changed since I moved here in 1993 to live in a "Big Town, Small City" 850,000 metro population. I had no idea I was moving to the future fastest growing region in America.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
How long does it typically take to get the site plan approved? Then how long till ground breaking would you guess? Thanks man.
6-12 months

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
One thing that I really love about this design is actually one of the smallest details: the small balconies on the bottom section get progressively larger as the building gets taller. It adds depth and dimension to the design. Another nice detail is that the setbacks take their cues from two existing height plateues: the first is around 400'-450' and the second is around 600'-650'. That helps to tie the building into its surroundings.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Glad to hear that my intuition about this tower seems to be right. The developer is not messing around.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:24 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I was really hoping you'd use your previous version with the other under construction buildings in the skyline as well.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:44 PM

How difficult would it be to rotate the new library by 180 degrees? Seems like the ugly, screened backside of the building is showing to the south while the north side got all of the nice looking rock...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:19 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
How difficult would it be to rotate the new library by 180 degrees? Seems like the ugly, screened backside of the building is showing to the south while the north side got all of the nice looking rock...
Just hire out the UT offensive line for a couple days. As long as they all lift and set down at the same time, shouldn't be an issue.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Remember to lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:29 AM
World Traveler

I do agree - if this design (at either height) had the angled roof with a spire, that'd be pretty sweet. Either way, it looks good. Needs a more creative crown, but I can live with it if it doesn't have it.

And it still begs the question of what the Post Office site will have someday....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I was really hoping you'd use your previous version with the other under construction buildings in the skyline as well.
Hey wwmiv, I previously thought that the building would be completely blocked by Third + Shoal and Austin Proper from that angle, but 1/8 of the 870 ft. building peaks above them, which still isn't a good angle to do a rendering imo.

Last edited by hequals2henry; Aug 11, 2017 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:11 PM

This looks like a cool building for sure at any height.

Did you all notice the 3 pools? The one on the ground floor on 6th street? I wonder if its a pool or a fountain, In one render it looks like the water goes up against the glass wall, I wonder if it would be a indoor/outdoor pool?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:36 PM
Meh

One might be a hot tub, especially the round one on the podium, but it does look like there's some other water feature or something on that level in addition to the two pools on the setbacks. This thing does look like it's using its spaces wisely. There's little point in being particular about using our land in the most efficient ways if buildings leave rooftops blank. I'm glad to see them getting smart with their exterior spaces. One of the major cons for me for urban living is the inability to have an outdoor space without having to visit a park. Plus, those green roofs have a cooling effect on the environment.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin