http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/

Suter Brook Creek enhancement area Port Moody:

Lafarge Lake - Douglas Station:

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The Euro models would likely not meet Canadian safety standards. Or am I wrong about that?
As far as I am aware there is no federal standard that is mandatory. It is possible Edmonton wrote the standards that apply in the USA in their contract. I did a tiny amount of work for a consultancy that worked on the Ottawa LRT in 2010 - at the time the city was planning to self regulate rail safety on the Confederation Line. Self regulation does not mean there isn't a federal standard that could come into play in other ways - I just have never heard of one. This was during the phase when Ottawa was trying to figure out how to run its P3 procurement.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:31 AM

I see no reason a train built in Europe could not be built to whatever standards anyway. Every order for LRVs is unique to each city.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
A little update of the Evergreen Line:
What's the center wall for?

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:44 PM

And update on the Confederation Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Construction Update
Week of May 16

Tunney's Pasture bus loop south side backfilled

West Stations

Tunney’s Pasture Station: work on the temporary bus loop continues. Crews are pouring concrete and electrical works are ongoing.

Bayview Station: crews install caissons, part of preliminary station construction. Pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured as part of station construction in the next weeks. Signage has been installed.

Pimisi Station: preliminary station works occur. Activities include station excavation, material removals and caisson installation.

Lyon Station cavern waterproofing

Central Stations

Lyon Station cavern: Lyon Station construction continues to take shape as crews waterproof the station arch, install shoring for the concourse slab and formwork on centre pillar columns. Mud slab pours continue in preparation for future trackwork activities.

Lyon Station west entrance: with excavation more than halfway complete, blasting, hoe ramming, material removals and support activities are ongoing. Excavation continues at the west vent shaft. Crews install shoring and continue excavation at the east vent shaft.

Lyon Station east entrance: crews install dowels on the ground floor as part of reinforcement work and continue work on the station elevator.

Aerial view of Rideau Station east and west entrances

Central Stations

Parliament Station cavern: with excavation complete, crews waterproof the north side L-wall and prepare to begin working on the mud slab, part of preliminary station construction.

Parliament Station west entrance: crews install conduits, rebar and formwork for the escalator walls. At the west vent shaft, crews install hoarding and drill piles. At the east vent shaft, crews mobilize to begin drilling piles.

Parliament Station east entrance: crews install structural steel on the concourse level and continue excavation at the entrance.

Traffic restrictions on Queen and O’Connor streets remain in effect.

Rideau Station west entrance: crews install whaler beams, begin excavation and drill micro-piles, part of reinforcement work for the future entrance.

Rideau Station east entrance: crews continue waterproofing, install rebar and complete excavation for installation of the crane as part of upcoming forming activities.

Traffic restrictions on Rideau Street remain in effect.

Demolition and removals at uOttawa Station

Central Stations

uOttawa Station: crews continue demolition and removals during daytime and shoring activities overnight.

Pouring station walls at Tremblay Station

East Stations

Lees Station: crews demolish existing structures and remove materials to prepare for initial station works.

Closure of Transitway pedestrian access from Lees to uOttawa stations.

Hurdman Station: crews install formwork and grade beams. Work on the escalator and elevator pits is ongoing. Crews continue excavating, remove materials and begin electrical work, part of permanent bus loop construction. Foundation work occurs at the bus operators’ building.

Tremblay Station: crews continue installing slabs as part of foundation work, pour concrete walls and begin watermain work. A temporary pedestrian realignment is in place at VIA Rail Station.

Steel and roof metal deck installations at Blair Station

East Stations

St-Laurent Station: crews install duct banks, pour the fixation slab, and continue backfilling. Demolition of the electrical room begins.

Cyrville Station: crews install station columns and structural steel. Masonry installations occur on the auxiliary building and watermain work takes place for the next few weeks.

Blair Station: crews install structural steel and the station roof metal deck. Backfilling and waterproofing are ongoing. Trackwork occurs in the station including the installation of ballast and concrete ties

Roadheader mining the running tunnel east of Parliament Station

Tunnel Excavation and Support

Running tunnel east of Parliament Station: excavation of the running tunnel nears completion and moves east toward Rideau Station. Crews continue arch final lining pours as part of permanent concrete works.

Rideau Station cavern: Crocodile Rouge excavates the central pillar ramp as cavern excavation is nearly finalized. Crews install rebar and pour concrete as part of station construction.

At the East Portal, crews begin initial preparations to excavate the ramp to accommodate future guideway and trackwork.

Preparing to install ballast moving west to Tremblay Station

Guideway – East Portal to Hurdman Station and Tremblay Station to Blair Station

East Portal to Hurdman Station: crews mill and remove asphalt as part of guideway work.

Hurdman Station Elevated Guideway: crews form the east abutment wing walls in preparation for concrete pours.

Belfast Yard to Tremblay Station: crews pull rails, install ballast and begin special trackwork.

St-Laurent to Blair stations: crews continue thermite welding and install ties moving west from Blair Station.
Aerial view of Rideau Station east and west entrances - Vue aérienne des entrées Est et Ouest de la station Rideau

Scott Street resurfacing: final resurfacing on Scott Street between Smirle Avenue and Merton Street is underway.

Traffic restrictions on Scott Street from Smirle Avenue to Merton Street.

CPR Bridge near Bayview Station: crews continue working on the east abutment and backfilling is ongoing.

Booth Street Bridge: crews begin pouring sidewalks on the bridge.

Queen Street renewal: crews begin pouring concrete curbs and reinstate sections of road as part of street renewal works.

Traffic restrictions on Queen Street between Bay and Metcalfe streets remain in effect.

Upcoming Construction Activities

In the coming weeks, the following construction activities are scheduled to occur:
  • Tunney’s Pasture Station construction.
  • Bayview Station construction.
  • Bayview Bridge renewal.
  • Final concrete work in Parliament Station cavern.
  • Mann Avenue Bridge rehabilitation.
  • Watermain work near St-Laurent Station, along the guideway.
  • TPSS deliveries along the guideway.
  • Bus operators’ building construction at Blair Station.

Did you know?

Did you know that vent shafts will be part of the Confederation Line LRT tunnel construction work?

The vent shafts on Confederation Line are passive and will mainly serve two purposes:
  • Piston relief vents; as in many other big cities, when a train travels through the tunnel it pushes the air ahead of it. The piston relief vents allow the air to be expelled from the tunnel into the street.
  • Emergency ventilation of the tunnel in case of an emergency.

Vent shafts will not operate continuously and will be tested about once a month to ensure proper working conditions. Crews have begun constructing tunnel vent shafts for Lyon, Parliament and Rideau stations.

Find out more about LRT construction at www.ottawa.ca/confederationline.

http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca...ion-update-67/

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:32 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What's the center wall for?
Wondered that myself. Only thing I can think of is improving aerodynamics of the train through the tunnel, isolating the currents created by trains from opposing directions. That's pretty much just a guess, though, would love to hear from experts on it.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:49 PM

Maybe there's a safety component to it. Could the tall wall serve as a crash barrier to prevent head on collisions in the event of a derailment? This wouldn't explain why it isn't used everywhere else, unless the engineers are really concerned about the outcomes of a crash deep inside a tunnel.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:01 PM

In the case of fire in the tunnel, the centre wall can block the fire so passengers can escape via the other side of the tunnel.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 9:30 PM
More transit please

New map released by CDPQ Infra

From Facebook

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 10:22 PM

That Montreal metro proposal is incredibly boss. You guys deserve it though and I'm glad that it will be an automated train system like Vancouver's Skytrain.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 10:44 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
That Montreal metro proposal is incredibly boss. You guys deserve it though and I'm glad that it will be an automated train system like Vancouver's Skytrain.
Hopefully everything goes as planned and construction starts next May...

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Hopefully everything goes as planned and construction starts next May...
Ils veulent reproduire le modus operandi partout au Canada. Ils veulent que les Caisses de retraite financent tous les gros projets en infrastructure au pays. Il y a eu une rencontre au Lac Meech avec tous les gros noms dans le domaine et avec Morneau.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 5:09 PM
gettin' rich!

If planners go this route, things could get really confusing around Union Station, as if they were not confusing enough as it is.

Planners Weigh Options for Downtown Waterfront Transit Link.

Quote:
Perhaps the most radical possibility outlined would be a new tunnel to allow LRTs to pass through Union instead of terminating there, connecting to Queens Quay East underneath the rail corridor and Freehand Street.

Alternatively, the Western arm of Queens Quay could connect to a second terminus west of Union, with GO, SmartTrack and UPX connections. A second terminus at Liberty Village or Cherry Street was considered by Metrolinx in 2012 and concluded it would, "not effectively serve future GO Rail passenger employment destinations and current GO patrons [and raises] planning, property and infrastructure issues." However this evaluation was done before the emergence of SmartTrack, which might place its own additional burdens on Union Station.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
New map released by CDPQ Infra

From Facebook
Really happy that this is actually going ahead. Still leaves a notable gap in rapid transit west of the Decarie (i.e. Hampstead, Cote Saint-Luc) but one step at a time...

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 8:00 PM
Rational urbanist

Why are the station distances so far apart in the Montreal proposal?

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 9:06 PM

^ The new line is intended to be a hybrid of a metro and a commuter rail. Sort of like an "express metro" for faster travel across long distances. Fewer stops means faster trains.

It's more or less identical to the GO RER plan in the GTA, if that helps provide perspective.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:30 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
^ The new line is intended to be a hybrid of a metro and a commuter rail. Sort of like an "express metro" for faster travel across long distances. Fewer stops means faster trains.

It's more or less identical to the GO RER plan in the GTA, if that helps provide perspective.
Oh I see, strange that they decided to make it as such and not just a more traditional metro in terms of station placement. I don't know anything about Montreal but from what I understand the West Island has issues with mobility so more stations would make a lot of sense in truly integrating it into Montreal's rapid transit system. I'm sure the local decision makers know more than me though and it looks like an awesome proposal nonetheless.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Oh I see, strange that they decided to make it as such and not just a more traditional metro in terms of station placement. I don't know anything about Montreal but from what I understand the West Island has issues with mobility so more stations would make a lot of sense in truly integrating it into Montreal's rapid transit system. I'm sure the local decision makers know more than me though and it looks like an awesome proposal nonetheless.
The West Island is not dense enough to support a traditional Metro.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Problem is the West Island is so geographically large, and so much of its commuter base is looking to go downtown, that making them sit through trains stopping every few hundred feet would just be too slow.

Imagine if GO stopped every 500m. The ride in from Oshawa to Union would take forever.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:57 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Why are the station distances so far apart in the Montreal proposal?
They aren't really. The spacing gets long in three areas: in the low density suburbs, over the St. Lawrence, and between the blue and green lines which is mostly under Mount Royal. Otherwise it is similar to the existing Metro.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada