HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
That's essentially what they are doing. They're blowing up the current center, while creating ground floor retail, a pass through and two new towers with new space added as well above the first floor. I think this is a win-win.

Are you talking 4 blocks with roads? Wouldn't really make sense because on three sides there are no roads to connect to. It would just become a drop-off trap for ride shares. I think the pedestrian entrances make more sense like proposed.
Gotta agree here. If they can incorporate the pedestrian corridor in Scheme 1 w/ the height of Scheme 2, I'm all in. All the street facing retail at the ground level looks pretty great too.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:06 PM

that plan looks great (even if MORE boxes) but i'd have to say the risk of funding being pulled is extremely high right now. banks are reigning in lending on spec projects to shore up cash positions given the crisis. does anyone here know what the financial situation is with this proposal? if virus disappears in 8 weeks i think everything can swing back to normal but if not, i'd say a great many projects that don't have concrete above ground will go on hold unfortunately

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
that plan looks great (even if MORE boxes) but i'd have to say the risk of funding being pulled is extremely high right now. banks are reigning in lending on spec projects to shore up cash positions given the crisis. does anyone here know what the financial situation is with this proposal? if virus disappears in 8 weeks i think everything can swing back to normal but if not, i'd say a great many projects that don't have concrete above ground will go on hold unfortunately
From what I understand, these are simply proposed concepts of what "it could look like" should the City Council move forward w/ re-purposing the site and build a new South building. No developer is lined up, etc. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
From what I understand, these are simply proposed concepts of what "it could look like" should the City Council move forward w/ re-purposing the site and build a new South building. No developer is lined up, etc. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct. I think these are the recommendations from the consultant they hired.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Correct. I think these are the recommendations from the consultant they hired.
We got to see this presentation recently at a Garfield District meeting. From my understanding, we don’t have big enough conventions in Phoenix to warrant expanding the current Convention Center - and - we likely won’t attract bigger conventions unless we increase hotel rooms and ‘entertainment’ options within a half mile of the Convention Center.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiandave View Post
We got to see this presentation recently at a Garfield District meeting. From my understanding, we don’t have big enough conventions in Phoenix to warrant expanding the current Convention Center - and - we likely won’t attract bigger conventions unless we increase hotel rooms and ‘entertainment’ options within a half mile of the Convention Center.
Chicken and the egg. Hence the proposal with both the chicken and the egg including not just expansion but more hotel rooms and more entertainment/retail on site.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 5:19 PM

OKay everyone the new crane report:

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...ty-in-phoenix/

"Phoenix tripled its count"

NO hard numbers, no idea when this was done.

I say the crane report is trash and we should never concern ourselves with it again.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 5:20 PM

"Crane Index reports increased activity in Phoenix"

Riveting.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
Looks like the 1001 building has finally gotten its gorgeous colorful siding. I'll have to take a walk over there and get some photographs.
Found the following picture on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...tm_name=iossmf

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Found the following picture on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...tm_name=iossmf

Yeah! That looks great! I was disappointed, when I went on my walk, it wasn't nearly as done as I thought it was. But it looks like it's been slowly making progress throughout this week. Thanks for the find!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:41 AM

Battery crane is up

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:23 PM

Not to burst anyone's bubble...and not assuming that it would kill the Convention Center project per se...but this weekend the BizJournal discussed that the City was already going to propose massive layoffs and a cut in services. When there is a lack in commerce- there are no sales taxes. No taxes, less services. I am sure the City will start going into survival mode soon and killing any projects that are not deemed necessary or postponing them at best.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 5:24 PM
Modulator

Looks like some developers are still submitting projects. Two proposed 6 floor office buildings with a 7 story garage at Kierland were submitted to Phoenix.

Quote:
Office Bldgs Proposed for Kierland Blvd in Phoenix
Posted on April 3, 2020 by Monica Tapia in Planning & Development // 0 Comments

Credit: City of Phoenix
By Tasha Anderson for AZBEX

Plans to redevelop a 6.78-acre property at the SEC of Marilyn Road and Kierland Boulevard into a Class A office development with ground floor retail have recently been submitted to the City of Phoenix.

The site is currently home to a 100KSF building with associated parking. Developer, Kierland Sky LLC is proposing to replace the building and parking spaces with two six-story buildings totaling 540KSF and a seven-level parking garage.

According to the narrative submitted to the City of Phoenix, the project, dubbed Kierland Sky, is planned to be constructed in two phases. Phase one consists of the development of one six-story building with 270KSF of office space and 3KSF of ground floor retail/restaurant space. It will also consist of constructing two levels of underground parking as well as the first above-ground level of the garage.

Phase two includes the development of the second six-story building, also with 270KSF of office space and 3KSF of ground floor retail/restaurant space, as well as construction of the rest of the parking garage to allow for five levels of above-ground parking and two underground levels.

The building for phase one will face east and west along Marilyn Road and will be located at the north end of the property, while the L-shaped building for phase two will set back from Kierland Boulevard.

Approximately 36 percent of the property is meant to be open space for office employees and patrons. “The open space between the two office buildings is envisioned as a Plaza that opens to Kierland Boulevard and is activated by restaurant and retail spaces located on the first floor of the office buildings,” the narrative states. “The southern courtyard is envisioned as a community space with opportunities to play, meet, gather, dine, and exercise.”

An open garden space for pedestrians will also be included. The Plaza element of the project will also have 36 parking spaces allowing for a total of 1,699 spaces with the garage.

The project has not yet received Planning Commission or City Council approval.
Source: http://azbex.com/office-bldgs-propos...vd-in-phoenix/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 5:37 PM
Modulator

Has anyone ever seen this rendering for a tower adjacent to Hotel Monroe? I know that once upon a time, there was a tower proposed for there and it fell through. However, I saw a big yellow banner behind Monroe about 6 months ago indicating the property was available for a mixed use development and that banner is no longer there. So, just wondering if this is something new or if it was an old proposal?

https://allenphilp.com/portfolio-pos...oenix-arizona/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 5:41 PM
Modulator

Sorry for the multiple posts. Trying to give everyone something to read besides the coronavirus posts.

Not sure if renderings have been posted about the hotel going up in the parking lot behind Orpheum Lofts. But here's what were getting.

https://www.mortenson.com/phoenix/pr...wntown-phoenix

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Has anyone ever seen this rendering for a tower adjacent to Hotel Monroe? I know that once upon a time, there was a tower proposed for there and it fell through. However, I saw a big yellow banner behind Monroe about 6 months ago indicating the property was available for a mixed use development and that banner is no longer there. So, just wondering if this is something new or if it was an old proposal?

That would be sweet! Except for the losing the steinegger lodge part of it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:05 PM

Mortenson is well funded and proven but if they need to borrow it might be hard to get this off the ground. A lot of banks have frozen loans, if they're using private financing it might work.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:

I do not remember ever seeing that rendering. I remember the Momentum Tower that was a vision for a building at that site, and I believe the proposed height was around 475.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=137602

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 8:01 PM
Modulator

Took a walk around during lunch. Thought I would post a couple updates.

Derby is quickly coming out of the ground and rebar support is already dwarfing Angels. Crane should be up this weekend according to the ground crew.

X is up to the 11th floor and starting to make a dent in the skyline.

Hines is blazing right now and they are up to the 5th floor. They also apparently raised the crane about 3 sections over the weekend. It looks like it's about 175' or so now. Not sure why it didn't go up higher.

As Obadno stated earlier, the Battery crane is up.

The Filmore is starting to peak above ground as well as Aspire.

ASU has re-started construction again after the accident a couple weeks ago.

AC looks close to topping out.

Also noticed the former Milkbar is reopened and now called The Jackalope Gastropub. Bad timing for them to open. Hope they can weather the storm.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the multiple posts. Trying to give everyone something to read besides the coronavirus posts.

Not sure if renderings have been posted about the hotel going up in the parking lot behind Orpheum Lofts. But here's what were getting.

https://www.mortenson.com/phoenix/pr...wntown-phoenix
Although this proposal isn't near what we could hope for in terms of height or design, I do kind of like this as it will fill in the block similar to the Marriott by kenect. Mortenson as proved its ability to get projects done so for now I'd rather take another lot filled than a pie in the sky high rise proposal that never gets built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest