HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 10:26 PM

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 11:47 PM

AND there is a stairwell there at that corner even now - I've seen people disappear down there so I suppose it is left over form the old station

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
AND there is a stairwell there at that corner even now - I've seen people disappear down there so I suppose it is left over form the old station
Not sure if it would be the original stairwell, as everything has been redone there, but quite possibly the original location.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Not sure if it would be the original stairwell, as everything has been redone there, but quite possibly the original location.
ROAD TRIP - but I am in Florida so maybe Old Dartmouth can get by there?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
ROAD TRIP - but I am in Florida so maybe Old Dartmouth can get by there?
First of all, good call for being in Florida as it's going to snow here tonight.

Road trip may not be necessary, as I think we can figure it out online.

Firstly, overlaying the 1878 Atlas map posted above on the current Google satellite view shows that the starwell appears to be in pretty much the same location.

However, from Google streetside you can see that it is now an enclosed concrete stairwell and is also very close to the concrete bridge abutment, so believe the original stairwell wouldn't have survived bridge construction.

Stairwell entrance at Barrington

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Just trying to get a better "feel" for the station. I'm hoping to find some pics of the inside (pre-explosion). There is also a bunch of post-explosion material to look at as well.
Thanks for some more great images and points to ponder, ODMark.

One of the few images I can recall seeing from inside North Street Station, pre-Explosion, is this image from Canadian Museum of Science and Technology. The shot is obviously taken inside the trainshed; I don't believe I've ever seen a photo taken inside the main portion/waiting areas (or "head house") of North Street station.

Source: Dominion Atlantic Railway Digital Preservation Initiative

The train on the left is the Dominion Atlantic's luxury limited, the Flying Bluenose, which connected Halifax to New England-bound steamships at Yarmouth. The photo was reportedly taken around 1912, five years before the Halifax Explosion.

Of course there are several extant photos taken of the trainshed following the Explosion and the collapse of the roof, where the various architectural features are visible.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:53 PM

This is such a great discussion.
So the hotel was at the North East corner of North/Barrington, and the station was below that towards the harbor?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
This is such a great discussion.
So the hotel was at the North East corner of North/Barrington, and the station was below that towards the harbor?
Yes, that is correct. Both would be on what is now DND property.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yes, that is correct. Both would be on what is now DND property.
Or was the hotel on the north/west corner and the station on the north/east corner, it looks like there was a street between them?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 6:58 PM

Actually I think it was on the Northwest corner of Lockman (Barrington) and North, so across the street from the cast iron railing pics I had posted previously.

My reasoning:
(1) Referring to Plate T of the 1878 Atlas posted previously, the station itself occupied the Northeast corner - there would be no room for the hotel on the Northeast corner of Lockman and North.

(2) According to this website, the King Edward Hotel was located at 222-224 Lockman St. and was opened in August 1903.

Zooming in to Plate T linked above, that would place it at the lot labeled "B.H. Collins", since the lots to the north start at civic number 238.

As a check, I looked up Plate E on the NS archives, and found that the civic numbers at the southwest side of the corner stopped at 220.

An interesting side point to my previous posts on the station is that the pic which was labeled as being from 1880, clearly shows the King Edward Hotel in it - which was supposedly opened in summer of 1903. The hotel is not visible in the other photo labelled 1902, and the covered walkway/stairway was definitely not in that one.

This tells me that the "1880" photo is labelled incorrectly, which makes sense because the 1902 photo shows absolutely no indication that the walkway/stairway ever existed. Thus I think that the 1902 photo is likely labelled correctly and the 1880 photo is later, which makes sense because the walkway/stairway was most likely built after the Hotel was built.

This is supported by the postcard I posted from the ebay auction which was postmarked 1916. Not clear proof but I think a good indication that it was a later photo...

Interesting side note #2:
- I noticed on "Plate E" that civic number 439 Brunswick Street was deeded to Sir Sanford Fleming, which I had heard before but hadn't previously seen it in this context.

Sorry... don't mean to "geek out" too much on this old info... These posts start as an idea that I want to learn more about, and then I pretty much post a play by play of what I find, in case people happen to be interested, and/or have something to add. Sometimes they can be incomplete, or have incorrect information in them (i.e. the dates of the photos), so they shouldn't be taken as any sort of historical study, but just as a quest for knowledge...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Or was the hotel on the north/west corner and the station on the north/east corner, it looks like there was a street between them?
I misread your original post. The hotel would have been roughly on the site of the old CPO Mess building on the west side of Barrington St. (now a parking lot).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Thanks for some more great images and points to ponder, ODMark.

One of the few images I can recall seeing from inside North Street Station, pre-Explosion, is this image from Canadian Museum of Science and Technology. The shot is obviously taken inside the trainshed; I don't believe I've ever seen a photo taken inside the main portion/waiting areas (or "head house") of North Street station.

Source: Dominion Atlantic Railway Digital Preservation Initiative

The train on the left is the Dominion Atlantic's luxury limited, the Flying Bluenose, which connected Halifax to New England-bound steamships at Yarmouth. The photo was reportedly taken around 1912, five years before the Halifax Explosion.

Of course there are several extant photos taken of the trainshed following the Explosion and the collapse of the roof, where the various architectural features are visible.

Thanks for that photo, ns_kid. I had seen it before but could not remember where.

The image is fascinating to me for a number of reasons...

(1) It shows how much natural light was let into the trainshed, a necessity as electric lights were not all that efficient in those times.

(2) It's interesting to see the elegant wooden railings and the ladies in their long skirts and hats - trains and steamships were certainly the preferred modes of travel in those days, and train stations were built with an attractive mix of functionality and elegance - a rare thing these days.

(3) Seeing the open end of the trainshed makes me think that the shock wave from the Halifax Explosion probably entered through those doors, building up incredible pressure inside the trainshed which popped the roof off like a champaign cork. The steel and glass roof was likely the weak point of the structure and also had the largest surface area and thus was most susceptible to the forces applied from the pressure.

(4) A luxury express train running between Halifax and Yarmouth, linking up with ships to/from Boston speaks to a time when there was a close relationship between Halifax and the New England states. This is a relationship which has all but faded now, with a few lingering leftovers such as the 'thank you' Christmas tree to Boston each year...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 8:57 PM

I found this article on the NS archives, which is essentially an account of the damage to Halifax's railroads. I didn't see an actual date but it appears to have been written within a couple of weeks of the explosion.

Of note is that the explosion happened on December 6, 1917, and by Dec. 10 full train service was resumed at the station. Also of note is that the Ocean Terminals were used for incoming rail while the North St. Station was down.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

An account of the repairs to the station also found on NS Archives.

Also of interest is a log of the special relief trains that arrived in Halifax immediately after the explosion.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:05 PM

One of the strongest memories I have from reading Barometer Rising is that one of the characters was killed by a falling shard of glass at the station.
This information on this thread is fascinating.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:36 PM

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I misread your original post. The hotel would have been roughly on the site of the old CPO Mess building on the west side of Barrington St. (now a parking lot).
I think that Mark is correct, the North West corner would put the hotel where some of the bridge supports are now, the corner of North and Barrington.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I think that Mark is correct, the North West corner would put the hotel where some of the bridge supports are now, the corner of North and Barrington.
Actually I think it would have been just north of the bridge, where the B.H. Collins lot is in this overlay, which I think is the location Keith is referring to:

Location on Google maps

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Actually I think it would have been just north of the bridge, where the B.H. Collins lot is in this overlay, which I think is the location Keith is referring to:

Location on Google maps
Perhaps a bit of both?, starting at the corner of North/Barrinton, and then extending North into the current parking lot?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:07 PM

Mark, seeing all of these maps has caused a question to develop.

The Intercolonial Station maps all show the rail line ending at the station just before the spot where North St descends towards Upper Water St as it was back then. But I recall seeing a later aerial photo of the downtown, I think one of the ones taken prior to or during the demolition of properties for the Cogswell interchange and Scotia Square development in the 1960s, that showed a line extending to the very edge of downtown, close to Cogswell.

Any idea how that was routed from the North St area to there? It did not seem to exist at the time of the explosion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos