HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:04 PM

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:05 PM

A replacement for Pan Am would be a pretty big ticket item... it would essentially be the City's aquatic Bell MTS Place. Obviously not literally as big, but you get the idea... it would have to be something suited for high-level competition.

Is that even in the works given that they just spent a pile of money freshening up Pan Am? It looks better now but it is surely on the downslope of its lifespan.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I know I heard a couple years ago that the YMCA was starting to look at adding a new south Winnipeg location, and eyeing sites on Waverly for it – could that be what you're thinking of?

I think if a proper replacement of Pan Am was happening, it'd be big news.
Ya, you guys got it. Was the Y I was thinking of.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Cant wait to see this when it's all completed! Looks fresh.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:06 AM

Wpg_Guy, I don't know how you can find the time for all you do, but I know I and many others sure appreciate all you do. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Wpg_Guy, I don't know how you can find the time for all you do, but I know I and many others sure appreciate all you do. Thanks!
Glad to see it's appreciated, is it alot of work, but I enjoy it.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:45 PM

I think Good Life was also building a new gym with a pool in that sugar beet development. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:34 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Yes, the structure is up and currently being closed in. It's big, you can see it clearly from Bishop. Piles are currently going in for a new Shell gas station and they are putting in the Scurfield extension into the site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:44 PM

Is there potential that GoodLife is vacating their Kenaston location? I heard it's gotten significantly slower since the Grant Park one opened and this Bishop one I'm sure will take even more people away. That's 3 big locations quite close to each other. And the Kenaston one is in a pretty weird location in the industrial park.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Yes, the structure is up and currently being closed in. It's big, you can see it clearly from Bishop. Piles are currently going in for a new Shell gas station and they are putting in the Scurfield extension into the site.
Is the city paying for connecting Scurfield, or are they doing it themselves? I saw the developers tender, and it fell 10 or 15 m short of the intersection, and there have been no city tenders for that section. I am not clear what is going on. Do you know anything?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:08 PM
What could go wrong?

Not 100% but i would think the City would be paying for the intersection upgrades. Developer will pay for the roadway.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:14 PM

The bigger question to me is if the city will be putting in sidewalks on Waverley now. That becoming a full intersection and all the residential to come in this project (and likely busier busses) you gotta think they'll have to put them in.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:26 PM

It's funny how there is that one stretch along hydro's brick wall that has sidewalk or AT path. It's just a gap with a path worn into the grass. There is clearly demand for a paved path.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:06 PM

Yeah, and with the AT paths on Bishop and further up Waverly, it really doesn't make sense they don't connect already.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A replacement for Pan Am would be a pretty big ticket item... it would essentially be the City's aquatic Bell MTS Place. Obviously not literally as big, but you get the idea... it would have to be something suited for high-level competition.

Is that even in the works given that they just spent a pile of money freshening up Pan Am? It looks better now but it is surely on the downslope of its lifespan.
There's been no real discussion or consideration of ever actually replacing Pan Am Pool. The City instructed the group doing the Grant Park Recreation Campus study to essentially ignore Pan Am aside from its location on the site.

The new library going up next year could have easily been integrated into the north side of the lobby and acted as a street entrance from Grant for Pan Am with little extra cost. It wasn't considered because Libraries and Aquatics are two separate departments in Community Services and they apparently don't get along well at CKRC/West End Library.

Just in the short term, Pan Am's HVAC system for the original building needs heavy refurbishment/replacement. There's also no heat recovery on the exhaust which isn't great for utility costs. The tiling on the pool deck and in the changerooms need to be replaced, as well as a complete replacement required for the accessible changerooms. There's many other smaller things required too, but they all add up very quickly.

The fire alarm system, main pool lighting, scoreboard, electrical system, and boilers have all been replaced in the past 10ish years. These were all done without any study to see the cost-effectiveness of a new build vs. refurbishment. With most arenas and pools, the city is unwilling to make upfront investments to save money over the long term.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:35 PM

By my quick calculations from the City tender awards page, they have out-sourced $4.6 million in repairs the last five years.

Quote:
Boiler room combustion air $440,882
Grounds pathway $88,870

Domestic hot water system $500,572
New video display board $348,451
Stairs and ramp handrails $139,500
Painting $99,366
Boilers and heat exchangers $909,779
Valve and services $92,486
Boiler demolition $7,527
Diving tower structural repair $61,164
Interior renovations $378,653
Parking lot, stage 2 $534,786
Consultants for boilers/HX $89,932
Pool bulkheads $916,895

Parking lot, stage 1 $747,719

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:44 PM
the first stamp is free

The Pan-am is irreplaceable - in the sense that a replacement pool facility of that size (including spectator space) could never be justified in the City, probably within our lifetimes.

This means it will just get repaired and upgraded as necessary. I don't think it's going anywhere - pools are heavy maintenance - but that's the same regardless of when it was built whether it's 1967 or 2019.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Pan-am is irreplaceable - in the sense that a replacement pool facility of that size (including spectator space) could never be justified in the City, probably within our lifetimes.
They'll probably replace it the same way many sports facilities get built, someone will come up with a flimsy pretext that will result in the levels of government ponying up for a new one. We'll end up bidding on the Commonwealth Games, Canada Games or some international swimming event and a new FINA-calibre pool (most likely on the UM campus, since their pool is getting a little long in the tooth) will be part of the deal.

Probably not for at least another 15-20 years, though.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 7:46 PM

I think everything in pools is replaceable except for the concrete itself. All of the mechanical is fairly simple to do, and the building around will last as long as it is maintained. The only shortcoming in the facility is the changerooms, but there is tons of space on the sides of the building for upgrading those.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:36 AM

The building is over fifty years old and the roof has been leaking for my entire 28 year life. Eventually most buildings do get beyond the point of sensible repair. It was a big miss IMO to not look at including a full size pool as part of the Sport For Life Centre, could have combined projects to save capital and long term/staffing costs, made the city's premier pool more central, and probably getting extra federal dollars too.

Also don't really get that comment about the department's not getting along. There are numerous combined library/community recreation centres in the city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan