HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
It's residential, they're not going to light it.
That doesnt really mean anything. The Hancock is lit, so is the Heritage, and isnt the crown of One Museum Park supposed to be lit along with a couple other towers? Im only talking about the what appears to be a block on top of the tower. It would the tallest residential over there so the crown/block shouldnt shine in anyones condo. And Im not talking about 311 South Wacker type bright but simply underlight (as in actually under it, not shining lights through it at an angle) the glass block completely or 95% filled with water and just watch how the light interacts with the water and the night sky. It would be a decorative piece as well as a damper system for the building. Like I said I think it'd be cool. Its not overdone. Its different. But thats just me. Im just working the whole Aqua thing. Who knows what they'll do so I guess all this is moot but it is fun.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 3:13 AM
None...

BVictor: What do you mean that the rendering u saw was the same as the model? Was it the same pics we have here, or was it just as unclear as to what the overall specifics of the tower will look like?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 5:12 AM

is that really going to be the base? I think the building itself looks fine, nothing spectacular or jawdropping but cool. The base is whack though. I hate buildings that have these large bases that basically break up the street walls in an attempt to set the main portion away from any surrounding buildings that might emerge (or exist). From the model, it looks like it'll have a large 2/3 story base (with a green roof?), with the building emerging from it.

I realize there are lots of benefits for the individual condo buyers in guaranteeing they'll always have some space around them. But this reeks of "tower in the park" reduxed in such a way that the park is slightly elevated. It still messes up the larger urban form by fragmenting and diffusing the positive urban space that emerges when buildings are sited to create streetwalls and larger enclosures.

Anywho, just something to look out for.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComandanteCero
is that really going to be the base? I think the building itself looks fine, nothing spectacular or jawdropping but cool. The base is whack though. I hate buildings that have these large bases that basically break up the street walls in an attempt to set the main portion away from any surrounding buildings that might emerge (or exist). From the model, it looks like it'll have a large 2/3 story base (with a green roof?), with the building emerging from it.

I realize there are lots of benefits for the individual condo buyers in guaranteeing they'll always have some space around them. But this reeks of "tower in the park" reduxed in such a way that the park is slightly elevated. It still messes up the larger urban form by fragmenting and diffusing the positive urban space that emerges when buildings are sited to create streetwalls and larger enclosures.

Anywho, just something to look out for.
That's been the general paradigm in all the condo development in Chicago lately....people don't want to drop alot of money with the risk that their view could be entirely obliterated. I'm fine with Tower in the Park as long as said Park isn't ginormous. I live in Sandburg Village, In which one square city block has two 29-story highrises, about 20 townhomes, all situated amongst a public park that the homeowners maintain, which is all places above an underground parking deck. It's dense, pleasant, and all interfaces well with the street. The new Parkview West sounds like it wants to reuse this method, and I say I'm all for it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:59 PM
Time/Space

wow it looks like is going to look super great!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1
i am sort of disappointed too. Gang made mention of breaking with conventional high-rise design to give us something different from every side. What we're getting is a lot of waves masking the rectangle. I really thought she was going to deconstruct this thing down some and then add the "waves".

ah well. still looking forward to the next round of more detailed renderings. I'm sure the building will come to life. I trust she'll/they'll make the right judgements to refine this puppy.
I agree. I'm surprised how many people are glowing over this model. I was really hoping for something incredible. It's not bad, it just didn't live up to expectation. I wasn't thrilled when Bvictor said the renderings he saw look exactly like the model.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 3:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ and i don't see how anyone could NOT be thrilled by this project. what were you expecting? the architectural equivalent of the second coming of christ? well, this project isn't exactly that, but it is easily the most architecturally interesting skyscraper proposal this city has seen in decades, and that's gotta count for something.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:18 PM

Well, I'm no architecture critic, so one can argue that I may not appreciate subtleties that those of you in the business may see. But I can tell you that, for an average guy who likes skyscrapers, projects like the Legacy, OMP, the Elysian, obviously FS, Trump, WVT, even OMP west are much more interesting.... at least to me. They at least break from the standard box shape. Other than the waves, THIS IS A STANDARD BOX. I think if they would have done something interesting with the top, it would be more interesting.

Again, too soon to say anything. And overall, I still like it. But it's certainly not in the league as the others I mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, in my humble opinion this proposal is superior to all those other projects, with the possible exception of fordham spire, which might stand on equal footing with this magical tower. don't let the boxy form trick you. boxes are good. boxes are true. boxes are CHICAGO. it's what's done with the box that differentiates the magical from the banal, and this project appears poised to become one of the most elite boxes in the world.

i couldn't be happier with this proposal thus far, and i anxiously await to see more.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:53 PM

The organic form of the facade is a risky choice. A few years after the construction, it might become visually disturbing.
Or not.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, with proper maintenance it should age just fine. look at how glorious marina city still is after all these years (granted, it was getting pretty shabby before the big overhaul clean-up years ago).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 4:57 PM

^^Wow..... O.K. Well, Steely, yours is amoung the opinions I respect most on this forum, so I'll have to keep an open mind. I would be interested to see if BVictor, Tom, Dan, Shawn, UP, and some of the other long time Chicago forumers agree that this kicks arse on some of the other projects I listed.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 5:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ "kicks arse" might be a little strong, as many of the projects you listed are solid towers, such as trump and the legacy, but i'm simply more pumped for this aqua thing.

keep in mind, i LOVE boxes when they're done well. and i freely admit, without a hint of shame, that the daley center is my favorite chicago building. and i guess the biggest reason i'm fawning over this proposal so much is that i see it as a kind of reincarnation of the spirit of goldberg, one of the most important architectural voices our city has ever been blessed with. it's possible that I'm now reading too much into this project and raising my expectation bar too high, but it's just that i'm very excited by the potential is see in these pics of the rough cardboard model.

i hope we get to see more real soon, as the anticpation may just do me in.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ well, with proper maintenance it should age just fine.
I wasn't thinking of maintenance. I was just afraid that it might be out of style very, very fast.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 5:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb
I wasn't thinking of maintenance. I was just afraid that it might be out of style very, very fast.
oh, i suppose that could be true, but i don't really know much about or care for "style". "style", and the way that things seemingly go in and out of it will always be quite a mysterious process to me, and one that i will likely continue to ignore.

i like good and bad. i have little use for "style".

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:16 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

I want to have sex with it!!!!

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:54 PM

This is growing on me. I wasn't thrilled initially, but then Steely said "Bertrand Goldberg" and my love sensors went off.

I can see where he's coming with that, but I'd love to see some sort of color rendering. It feels very difficult to picture this as an actual building without more details.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS!
If this balcony glass is a different shade or color from the building glass (lets say one is more greenish and one is more blueish) I think the effect would be quite dramatic and really give the building the appearence of having waves in motion.
I agree. That would be look like sparkling water. This building really has some potential.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ "kicks arse" might be a little strong, as many of the projects you listed are solid towers, such as trump and the legacy, but i'm simply more pumped for this aqua thing.

keep in mind, i LOVE boxes when they're done well. and i freely admit, without a hint of shame, that the daley center is my favorite chicago building. and i guess the biggest reason i'm fawning over this proposal so much is that i see it as a kind of reincarnation of the spirit of goldberg, one of the most important architectural voices our city has ever been blessed with. it's possible that I'm now reading too much into this project and raising my expectation bar too high, but it's just that i'm very excited by the potential is see in these pics of the rough cardboard model.

i hope we get to see more real soon, as the anticpation may just do me in.

Bingo, this project is all about form following function. It continues the Chicago tradition. If this project was in Miami or Dubai, we would get the curtain wall covering all of the curves, just for asethitic looks, because it is seen as 'cool'. Here though the cuves form balcones, likely aligned to sight lines to take in the best views, while the units themselfs are recessed into the organic form because the common desires for unit layouts require it. Most walls in condos are set at orthaganal angles, it is often what buyer want because it makes furniture layouts easy. Therefore, why try to shove that standard form into something organic? The solution in this case is to pull the units back into the building and let the free organic form flow unobsructed along the buildig facade. Here the form makes the most sense, and here it can enjoyed and viewed to its fullest extent. Plus, light and shadows will dance throughout the day on the tall facade of this tower, making it look a little different each day, and even each hour.

Just my

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 8:35 PM

Alright, I'm feeling it.

Truthfully, I think those of us with a less enthusiastic initial impression are turned off by the color of the model. Ugly tan, with a contrasting white interuption in the middle, as well as a striking white roof is visually unappealing.

Depending on glass color (as many have already suggested), and how it interfaces with concrete balconies will be important for this one. Also, I presume the roof and interuption in the middle will be something other than tan or white. Would you guys agree?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive