HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:22 PM
Hong Kong

Another Hong Kong Thread - by hkskyline 2019 edition

Start off the year with a few aerial views of the city as I take my first vacation of the year on Jan 1.

Back on land, parts of Central empty out in the evening as the offices close for the day.

The old Bank of China building is being renovated while the exclusive China Club inside caters for the local business crowd.

The former Legislative Council building was repurposed back into a courthouse a few years ago.

Up along the slopes from the office towers, this former wet market has been transformed into a news museum late last year. The Bridges Street Market was built in the Bauhaus style in 1953.

The oldest artifact on display is a Chinese newspaper dating from 1878.

Just behind it is Wing Lee Street, whose historic rowhouses were originally slated for demolition, but a famous movie saved them. The original residents and printing shop tenants are mostly gone and the buildings have been renovated. Some seem inhabited but most await repurposing.

Heading across the harbour, Signal Hill Tower was built by the Observatory in 1908 to provide time for incoming ships. From 1908-1920, every day at 1pm, a copper ball was dropped from the top of the 12.8m tower to tell the time. It is open to the public today but the entrance is quite secluded, off on a dead-end side street and beside a garbage station.

The tower is surrounded by much taller buildings today.

West Kowloon has a huge swathe of land dedicated to cultural facilities. The opera house opened recently, although local arts groups have complained of the high rents.

Nan Fung Cotton Mills was established in the 1950s at a time when Hong Kong was a major textile manufacturing centre. The factory closed in 2008 and the site became a warehouse until 2014 when its owners decided to revitalize the site. The Mills is now a mix of shopping mall and museum.

Out in the suburbs, there are still many historic villages whose history dates back a few hundred years. A couple are grouped together into historic trails for an off-the-beaten track experience. The Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail in Fanling is one of them.

Of course, no Hong Kong thread is complete without skyscrapers.

Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail | More Tsuen Wan | Tsim Sha Tsui | West Kowloon Cultural District | News-Expo

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:56 PM
Me?!?

Awesome!

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 5:02 PM
I am a typical

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 12:53 AM
Gatinois et fier

amazing city.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:34 PM
Community Guy

Such an incredible city.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:51 AM

That opera house looks INCREDIBLE!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:03 PM
Hong Kong

Following the murder of a Hong Kong tourist in Taiwan by her boyfriend in February 2018, the government proposed an extradition law for fugitives in cases where there is no extradition treaty with Hong Kong.

While the government claimed the intention was to plug a loophole and to prevent criminals from hiding in the city to escape justice, there were significant concerns from the community on whether residents could be sent back to China, where the legal system is opaque and a fair trial cannot be guaranteed. There were also worries that political dissidents could no longer be safe living in Hong Kong, and that freedom of speech will be eroded.

For a second Sunday in a row, on June 16, massive protests broke out to scrap the bill. The atmosphere was tense following violent clashes the Wednesday before, and there was anger at the police for using excessive force. Organizers claimed almost 2 million people took part in the protests, which forced the Chief Executive, Carrie Lam, to issue an apology.

Protesters poured to Hong Kong Island on the trains, wearing black.

More : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-extradition.htm

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:57 PM
Illustrator, editor

Great pics! I was in HK right after the first Occupy movement, it was "back to normal" during my visit. I also visited Macau, and Shenzhen and Guangzhou in mainland China.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:23 PM
Hong Kong

Besides historic buildings and markets, Sheung Wan is increasingly becoming famous for its street art.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-streetart.htm

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:43 PM
Hong Kong

Continuing with protests on the extradition bill, which has been a regular event over the entire summer, organizers said 1.7 million came out on Sunday, Aug 18 to push the government to respond to the 5 demands. With the police originally banning a march through the streets and confining the event to a rally in Victoria Park only, it soon became apparent the sheer numbers of people would spill over onto neighbouring streets.

With the MTR overcrowded with protesters trying to reach the rally at Victoria Park, trains could not stop at both Tin Hau and Fortress Hill stations. A steady stream of protesters in black got out at North Point station to walk back towards the rally.

Meanwhile, the tide of protesters continued to push west towards Causeway Bay.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-extradition8.htm

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:05 PM

I've been pretty amazed by the pictures of some 1.7-million crowd I just saw in the media here.
People around here in France are stuck in distrust and skepticism anyway. E.g., my mom herself who knows the place a little bit and says they don't have a chance against the Chinese dictatorial regime.
She says the regime grew really powerful as it has somehow managed to improve the Chinese standard of living over the past couple of decades, then people would be sort of blinded, so to speak.
They just need to satisfy their basic material greed for now, and won't really think of any real ideal until they get bloated.

Of course, this place is quite different with some moral and all, but they are so small next to the relentless Chinese empire...
Bah, you got to deal with it somehow.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:59 AM
Hong Kong

The Kwun Tong march on August 24 began at the Tsun Yip Street Playground for the shart walk to the Zero Carbon Building in Kowloon Bay. Organizers wanted to bring to the public's attention the privacy risks with the 50 smart lamps that have been installed in the area. Fearing the high resolution cameras can be enhanced with facial recognition to track people's movements, the government emphasized these lamps are only used for monitoring traffic, air quality, and weather.

More photos : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-extradition10.htm

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 9:53 AM

Hk do you think it’s accurate to say people are fighting for their freedom, for the most part?

The only thing really on their side is that, ultimately, tyranny cannot win against the people. There is a small possibility that these protests will start something bigger in China. A small possibility.

By the way, I am scheduled to go to HK in about 3 weeks but it is very likely we will cancel.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 10:10 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Hk do you think it’s accurate to say people are fighting for their freedom, for the most part?

The only thing really on their side is that, ultimately, tyranny cannot win against the people. There is a small possibility that these protests will start something bigger in China. A small possibility.

By the way, I am scheduled to go to HK in about 3 weeks but it is very likely we will cancel.
Yes the general message is they feel China is violating the One Country Two Systems principle and the anti-extradition law was just another example (of many), trying to neutralize HK's rule of law by extending its opaque legal system.

Meanwhile, the information firewall is alive and well so much of the news on the Chinese side of the border portrays the protests as violent riots for independence, which is far from what is happening on the ground.

From a sightseeing perspective, there isn't much impact. Protesters target police stations as they have been condemned for excessive brutality. Not a single shop has been looted. The protests are primarily on weekends while everyone goes back to work Mon-Fri.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 11:54 AM

Well, I hope everyone stays safe. I was also there about 12 months ago. I loved it, of course.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:45 PM
Hong Kong

The current site east of Tung Chung MTR station consists of 3 major housing estates wrapped around the North Lantau Highway. More infill projects are slowly taking shape, and the area has become a large residential community.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-tungchung2.htm

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:12 PM

Fantastic photos!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:09 PM
Hong Kong

Tsing Ma Bridge is currently the only transport link to the airport. At the time it was completed, it was the world's longest suspension bridge with both rail and road traffic.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:29 PM
Hong Kong

Although Kwun Tong's town centre is congested and dusty from redevelopment these days, head uphill a few blocks and the atmosphere becomes quite serene very quickly.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:55 PM
Hong Kong

K11 Musea is the retail portion of the Victoria Dockside redevelopment, with the theme of incorporating a museum into a shopping mall. Online retail seems unable to kill off the conventional mall in this part of the world yet. They even have sightseeing tours about their architecture, art, and even furniture.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-tsim.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos