HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Well that sure is something.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Well that sure is something.

That sure is as misc and non-political of a post that I've seen here. Pretty sure it's my magnificent performance that gets trapped in the recipient's brain more so than my DNA if I must say so myself.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:19 AM

hmmm...

Intersting that the article is dated August 2022. I remember reading about this years ago. Maybe close to a decade. Makes you wonder how much of your DNA is floating around out there.

Yup just looked it up. There are articles dating back to 2012 on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That sure is as misc and non-political of a post that I've seen here. Pretty sure it's my magnificent performance that gets trapped in the recipient's brain more so than my DNA if I must say so myself.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 6:07 PM
クラブトクヨ

This article is not specifically about Austin, but it got me thinking I think downtown Austin has rebounded very well from the pandemic. What do you think?

https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2022...c-study-shows/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
This article is not specifically about Austin, but it got me thinking I think downtown Austin has rebounded very well from the pandemic. What do you think?

https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2022...c-study-shows/
I don't go Downtown as often as I did pre-pandemic since I no longer work Downtown, but when I have it seemed pretty normal to me. However, the study cited in the article has us ranked at 38th in recovery with only 53% recovery of activity levels.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 9:49 PM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah every time I am downtown seems pretty normal and active to me.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 10:34 PM

Austin drive-in movie theater premieres new floating cinema on Lady Bird Lake

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/e...ady-bird-lake/

Don’t we do enough driving around here? Instead of a drive-in movie, Austin-born Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-in is offering two new float-in movie options on Thursdays, starting August 25, at the Waterfront Floating Cinema, and on Wednesdays once a month on a cruise.

At the fixed cinema on Lady Bird Lake, the 20-foot screen (about the size of a small lake boat) faces the city and the shore, so movie-goers can sit on a floating platform and watch films against the water, easily accessible by and to downtown — perfect for folding into the night’s plans. Landlubbers can stay there, while kayak, paddleboard, and canoe captains view from their personal craft.

Fittingly, one of the upcoming screenings (September 8) shows Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, but not before the chaotic film that made waves after its South by Southwest 2022 debut, Everything Everywhere All at Once (August 25, opening night). In between, on September 1, is the “Grease Sing-A-Long: For Olivia,” honoring star Olivia Newton-John, who died on August 8.

The second screen is mounted on the upper deck of a boat lent by Capital Cruises, showing both classic and recent independent films. The first film of this series is Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, on September 14. Snacks on the boat can be added when purchasing tickets online.

Both screens can also be rented for private events; up to 40 viewers can watch on the shore, while the boat can take up to 75. Blue Starlight rents a complicated array of its screens for private events, all of which except the lake screens seem to measure capacity by car.

These additions bring Blue Starlite’s total Austin locations to five: the lake, one downtown spot atop a parking garage on San Antonio Street, one with several showing experiences in the Mueller area, one called the Starbrite Cinema near East MLK Boulevard, and one in Northwest Austin with food by Garbo’s. Another new project by Blue Starlite brings programming from the eclectic, local Hyperreal Film Club, which is in residency at the MLK location starting September 4 with Pee-wee's Big Adventure.

Tickets ($20-40 on the dock, $35-$60 on the cruise) are available by screening at bluestarlitedrivein.com.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 10:40 PM

This Texas city is the No. 1 destination for Austin millennials on the move

(Houston. Its Houston.)

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...d-millennials/

For the most part, Austin millennials have stayed close to home after entering adulthood, a new report indicates.

At age 26, nearly 70 percent of people who were born from 1984 to 1992 and raised in Austin remained here, according to the report. That leaves more than 30 percent who moved elsewhere.

Bayou City was followed by San Antonio (3.1 percent), Dallas (2.8 percent), Killeen (1.3 percent), and Fort Worth (1.2 percent). These were the only Texas cities to surpass the 1 percent mark for the share of millennials born from 1984 to 1992 who had moved away from Austin. In 2022, these millennials are celebrating birthdays from 30 to 38.

These are the top five out-of-state destinations for Austin-raised, on-the-move millennials:

Los Angeles — 0.86 percent
New York City — 0.79 percent
Denver — 0.64 percent
Seattle — 0.50 percent
Washington, D.C. — 0.43 percent

The list of Texas places that sent millennials to Austin looks very similar to the list of places that gained millennials from Austin. The top five are Houston (6.7 percent of movers born from 1984 to 1992 who came to Austin), Dallas and San Antonio (3.7 percent each), Fort Worth (2 percent), and Brownsville (1.6 percent).

The researchers say 80 percent of young-adult movers in the U.S. had relocated less than 100 miles from where they grew up and 90 percent had moved less than 500 miles.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 12:20 AM

Google updated the 3D imagery for Austin.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I don't go Downtown as often as I did pre-pandemic since I no longer work Downtown, but when I have it seemed pretty normal to me. However, the study cited in the article has us ranked at 38th in recovery with only 53% recovery of activity levels.
Anecdotally, the number of office workers around during the day doesn't seem to have fully recovered yet. In the evenings however, everything seems pretty much as it was pre-pandemic. In fact, the evenings may even be busier than they were before.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 2:44 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Google updated the 3D imagery for Austin.
Nice...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:03 PM

Four Historic Markers Approved for East Austin Mexican American Heritage Sites

https://austin.towers.net/four-histo...eritage-sites/

Four East Austin landmarks significant to the Mexican American cultural history of the region have officially received approval for state historical markers, according to an announcement this week by local nonprofit Preservation Austin. The sites, submitted for consideration as part of the organization’s East Austin Barrio Landmarks Project, represent part of an ongoing effort by local historians to document and preserve the diverse cultural heritage of these landmarks amidst the rapid growth of East Austin.

The approved sites include beloved East Sixth Street restaurant Cisco’s, the district’s Pan American Neighborhood Park, and two homes important to local Mexican American politics and activism — here’s a closer look at each site:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:05 PM

Austin's treasured Trail of Lights unwraps return to traditional format for 2022 holidays

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/e...rmat-for-2022/

Here’s an early holiday gift for you: A beloved Austin tradition is returning to its normal pre-pandemic format.

The nonprofit Trail of Lights Foundation says this year’s Austin Trail of Lights will once again be a walk-through event rather than a drive-through event. In 2020 and 2021, during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Trail of Lights let visitors drive along the trail but not walk along it.

“As we return to an in-person, interactive event, we cannot wait to share exciting new additions and Austin’s favorite longstanding traditions with the community at the trail,” says Nicholas Miller, the newly appointed board president of the Trail of Lights Foundation.

The 58th annual event, whose title sponsor is H-E-B, will be December 8-23 at Zilker Park. A sneak-peek party will be held December 2, while the Austin Trail of Lights Fun Run will happen December 3.

What began in 1965 as a small community gathering around a yule log now attracts more 400,000 guests a year. The Trail of Lights features more than 2 million lights illuminating Zilker Park, 90 lighted holiday trees, and more than 70 other holiday displays and lighted tunnels.

General admission will be free on seven of the event’s 14 nights; children under age 12 will be admitted every night at no charge.

In early October, the full calendar for the Trail of Lights, along with the ability to buy tickets online, will go live on the event’s website.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:18 PM

Stunning Skyspace on UT Austin campus reopens with immersive programming

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/a...-music-events/

One of Austin's favorite art installations is back and better. After a brief summer closure, James Turrell's Skyspace, The Color Inside, is slated to reopen on Monday, August 22.

Welcoming more than 75,000 people each year, The Color Inside is a freestanding, naked-eye observatory located on The University of Texas at Austin campus. The pre-programmed light sequence fills the space with brilliant washes of color at each sunrise and sunset, causing the sky to appear in unimaginable hues.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:19 PM

12 official and unofficial events to celebrate the rest of Austin Pride

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/e...-austin-pride/

One of Austin’s biggest commitments to weirdness is the entire month of August, which is the city’s very own Pride Month. Organized by the Austin Pride Foundation, this month actually only diverges from the national celebration for better logistics and bigger crowds, but it has blessed Austinites with an additional 31 days of gay, gender-expansive, true-to-yourself fun.

The beauty of Pride is the freedom to celebrate however you choose. For many in the community, that means visiting the usual haunts and strengthening that sense of kinship. But it might also mean branching out. Some of these events are LGBT101, some enable meaningful contemporary art, and some are just a good time by and for those who celebrate the community year-round.

All of these events are made to welcome all, so if you’re looking for a nudge to get out there with your friends, allies, and lovers, they’re ready for you.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:22 PM

What you need to know about aGLIFF 2022, Austin's LGBTQ film festival

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...o/65406462007/

June might get its share of LGBTQ fun for Pride Month, but Austin's lucky enough to have a really gay August, too. Following the return of annual Austin Pride Festival & Parade celebrations on Aug. 20, the city's oldest running film festival marks its 35th edition with loads of queer cinema just a few days later.

When and where is aGLIFF 2020?

AGLIFF 2022 runs Aug. 24-28, and this year, its 85 films will screen at Galaxy Highland in North Austin. (There's also a virtual version of the festival, Aug. 29-Sept. 5.)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 3:30 PM

Does anyone know why Austin Pride is held in August, and the rest of the US celebrates it in June?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Does anyone know why Austin Pride is held in August, and the rest of the US celebrates it in June?
We celebrate both June and August. I’ve heard the parade was pushed to August at some point to allow more people (UT students) to attend.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This is pure second-hand conversations, but I heard it was pushed to August due to conflicts with the State Track and Field Championships and the ROT rally.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 4:42 PM

And by conflicts, I mean lodging etc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin