HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:28 PM

It better be option 3, the other two do not respect Rue St Joseph whatsoever.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:38 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
It better be option 3, the other two do not respect Rue St Joseph whatsoever.
3 is also the most dense, and hides the surface parking.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:41 AM
keep the good times going

Yikes... I hope it is number three

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:20 AM

Anything similar to their project on Rothesay would be a great focal point for the area.. way out of scale for the Niverville-wannabe residents of St. B, though. *sad trombone*

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 3:14 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
There's digging occuring on the south side of Aubert, immediately east of the Verve Tache condo.

They aren't going particularly deep, and they've so far exposed two large cement blocks. Any ideas what's happening here, and what was there long ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
There was a large hydro tower, the galvanized metal type, along the south boulevard until about 2006. Could it be piles from that?
Hydro removed the piles and filled in the hole, and now I see that the land is for sale on MLS:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...eg-st-boniface

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:01 AM

^ A bit of an awkward site... it'll be interesting to see what happens with it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 3:29 PM

I wonder if CN still owns the property behind the site. Surely the best use there would be to combine the parcels. Maybe even straighten out the property line via land swap with the condo next door. There's even a public lane that goes into the back from La Verendrye.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:51 PM

Great new spot opened this week on Marion called Diaspora Cafe. Little Caribbean-owned cafe in the old gelato shop at Traverse, really nice in there. They use beans from Nagash Coffee, an Ethiopian roaster in Niverville. At lunch they serve patties, doubles, and other Caribbean food. It's owned by a woman and her kids take turns helping her out, said it's been a good first few days.

https://www.instagram.com/diasporacafe204/

Go support!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Great new spot opened this week on Marion called Diaspora Cafe. Little Caribbean-owned cafe in the old gelato shop at Traverse, really nice in there. They use beans from Nagash Coffee, an Ethiopian roaster in Niverville. At lunch they serve patties, doubles, and other Caribbean food. It's owned by a woman and her kids take turns helping her out, said it's been a good first few days.

https://www.instagram.com/diasporacafe204/

Go support!
I got a bag of their dark roast over the holidays. I can confirm it is really good coffee. It won't dethrone my usual Black Pearl "the black pearl house blend" - but it is probably as close to it's equal as I have come.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:09 PM

Agreed, an Ethiopian family roasting Ethiopian beans - they know what they're doing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 4:25 AM

City Hall is asking admin to put together an estimate on the cost to create a Central St. Boniface secondary plan. If it happens, could really help push back against the NIMBYs whenever new projects come along.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...88059&InitUrl=

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 7:12 PM
Formerly rypinion

Qualico starting pre-sales for Vue Taché, 7 storey concrete condo at the corner of Tache and Grandin.

Seems like due to some internal-to-Qualico VIPs buying homes they are expecting it to get started fairly promptly. Possessions beginning near the end of 2022 apparently (I guess we'll see what actually happens).

We're currently looking into one of the main floor terrace units.

https://streetsidewinnipeg.com/commu...-tache-condos/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 12:40 AM

The city has awarded the sale of the st Boniface City Hall and fire hall to Manitoba Possible (formally Society for Manitobans with Disabilities)

Their proposal includes:

Manitoba Possible intends to leave 219 Provencher as is, renovate 212 Dumoulin and construct new buildings. The proposed development will consist of 60% commercial, 34% residential and 6% retail with gross floor area 107,670 ft2, to be done in three phases:
- Phase I - Establish the foundational aspects of the development, create a new head office for Manitoba Possible on one of the surface parking lots and initiate the adaptive re-use of the Fire Hall as a community gathering place;
- Phase II - Development of the commercial and retail assembly which will house a Centre for Social Enterprise on one of the surface parking lots to create business opportunities;
- Phase III – Development of residential suites to accommodate 42 dwelling units in the northwest corner of the site, thereby completing the Abilities Village concept.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...8&isMobile=yes

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Feb 16, 2021 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 2:49 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The city has awarded the sale of the st Boniface City Hall and fire hall to Manitoba Possible (formally Society for Manitobans with Disabilities)

Their proposal includes:

Manitoba Possible intends to leave 219 Provencher as is, renovate 212 Dumoulin and construct new buildings. The proposed development will consist of 60% commercial, 34% residential and 6% retail with gross floor area 107,670 ft2, to be done in three phases:
- Phase I - Establish the foundational aspects of the development, create a new head office for Manitoba Possible on one of the surface parking lots and initiate the adaptive re-use of the Fire Hall as a community gathering place;
- Phase II - Development of the commercial and retail assembly which will house a Centre for Social Enterprise on one of the surface parking lots to create business opportunities;
- Phase III – Development of residential suites to accommodate 42 dwelling units in the northwest corner of the site, thereby completing the Abilities Village concept.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...8&isMobile=yes
As someone who is related by blood to one of the people behind the project, and having seen the conceptual renderings .. all I will say is.. "You SSP nerds will looovveee this project." It will be very urban, it will protect the old city hall, it will be barrier-free / handicap friendly, it will develop new buildings over a surface parking lot, and fits totally with the character of the neighbourhood. 4 - 6 story buildings, mixed-use, with public commons.

The idea is to create a handicap friendly urban village.

I.E.) Retail, housing, bars, etc that will employ disabled Manitobans and also provide a safe place for them to live that will fit their needs.

The concept is called 'reverse inclusion' meaning that you build a place for handicapped people to live and work in that is so attractive that able-bodied people will also find it attractive to live, work, play in the same development.

The site was selected because it is in an urban neighbourhood and has excellent access to transit, something that is important to a person who can't drive.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 13, 2021 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:39 AM

^ That sounds really promising... can't wait to see the details.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:51 AM
surely you agree with me

Nice. That sounds perfect!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:15 PM

That sounds fantastic, hopefully sparks more development like it along Provencher. The first thing I thought of though... do they even have that kind of money? Will phase 2 and 3 actually happen?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:18 PM

Awesome!

Unfortunately for us, my son was born with Cerebral Palsy. We are involved with Manitoba Possible and it is so nice to hear about this development. Hoping all 3 phases can go through.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 8:11 PM

They were able to get the building for $150k despite them being appraised at $2mil++ due to being such a great proposal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:29 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That sounds fantastic, hopefully sparks more development like it along Provencher. The first thing I thought of though... do they even have that kind of money? Will phase 2 and 3 actually happen?
While Manitoba Possible is new to this, the people leading the project have a lot of experience with large capital projects.

*IH Asper Clinical Research Institute
*Kleysen Institute at HSC
*Canad Inns hotel at HSC

I think there is a better than 70% chance that everything goes according to plan.

The wild card is the fallout from Covid, will people still need office space in existing quantities going forward?

Part of the project is to build a new office for Manitoba Possible and maybe build excess space to rent.

The unknown future demand for commercial space might shape that part of the development.

Barcode did the conceptual renderings, it should turn out 'interesting.'

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 13, 2021 at 11:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan