HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:45 AM
ARTchitecture

From this evening's walk...

Telus Sky by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:20 PM
arf

^Now there is a view I haven't seen much of. That is a great looking building there. I'm not overly enamoured by it from most of the looking down on views because it looks awkward, albeit interesting, but this view is really lovely.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Now there is a view I haven't seen much of. That is a great looking building there. I'm not overly enamoured by it from most of the looking down on views because it looks awkward, albeit interesting, but this view is really lovely.
You are bang on... that is a great perspective of Telus Sky and a really nicely composed picture. It's the nicest picture I think I've seen of that building. Love it!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:56 AM
ARTchitecture

Videos of the north and south facades of Telus Sky now that 'Northern Lights' is online. Apparently the missing lights are being fixed, but there is a likelihood that there will always be a few burnt out.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Telus Sky, Calgary by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:31 AM

Very nice lighting! I just hope they fill up those buildings soon!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:35 AM
ARTchitecture

it's obviously not happening any time soon. But with tech, finance, and education, it will happen slowly and surely, as it has been for years.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:29 AM
video et taceo

Montreal's Sun Life Building is an interesting case. It is kind of a skyscraper that doesn't want to be a skyscraper. Built in sections, the structure layers neoclassical blocks in such a way as to maintain a horizontal orientation even as it stretches above 100m in height.

Had the early New York skyscrapers of Park Row ascended to Chrysler-like heights, their bases might have looked like the Sun Life.

It is a peer to the Singer Building or the old New York World Building, a skyscraper without pronounced verticality. But it has its own sort of dominance, it is a European square-fronting building from the steel-frame era, like the Edificio Espana in Madrid. Senate House in London has a similar presence, although its more minimal, deco style is a later form.

Last edited by kool maudit; Oct 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:16 PM

The Canada Life Building in Toronto has a similar orientation, but not quite as pronounced as Sun Life. What a fortress of a tower.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:17 PM

So does the 12 story Manulife Building on Bloor.

Manulife Building - morning by Vianney (Sam) Carriere, on Flickr

It's hard to see all 12 floors from the front.

Manulife - Corporate Head Office by Rick Blaxall, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:00 PM

I always think of the Canada Life, Sun Life etc. building typology as the "wedding cake".

Link

Of course the most over-the-top wedding cake is in Rome.

Link

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
I always think of the Canada Life, Sun Life etc. building typology as the "wedding cake".

Link

Link
And the most over the top house in Toronto is this mess.

1016 Shaw St, 2015 by sssteve.o!, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

Link
Always thought it was modelled after a typewriter!

Romans (at least ones I know) actually hate it. They say it's an ugly fascist monument in the heart of Rome. (It's really located right next to all the imperial historical stuff.)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Always thought it was modelled after a typewriter!

Romans (at least ones I know) actually hate it. They say it's an ugly fascist monument in the heart of Rome. (It's really located right next to all the imperial historical stuff.)

I never really gave it much thought but they are right. I think I hate it to now. I had a cousin visit from London about 10 years ago. I took him on a tour of the city and the buildings he hated were these for almost the same reason. He saw them as a monument of wealth and greed. I guess he was right but he was also a bit of a bum back in England living off the system.

That being said I think The Royal bank Plaza deserves a place in this thread. She still looks great, at least to me.

Royal Bank Building, Toronto (III) by Andrés García, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I never really gave it much thought but they are right. I think I hate it to now. I had a cousin visit from London about 10 years ago. I took him on a tour of the city and the buildings he hated were these for almost the same reason. He saw them as a monument of wealth and greed. I guess he was right but he was also a bit of a bum back in England living off the system.

That being said I think The Royal bank Plaza deserves a place in this thread. She still looks great, at least to me.

Royal Bank Building, Toronto (III) by Andrés García, on Flickr
So ironic!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:00 PM

That it is. That's why I pointed it out first. But to some degree almost every skyscraper is symbol of wealth and power.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
So a lot of people will like or dislike a building based on what it represents, regardless of what it looks like.

Though Vittorio Emanuele II (wedding cake/typewriter) if it were reproduced exactly as is would be a masterpiece and jewel in any of our cities.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
That it is. That's why I pointed it out first. But to some degree almost every skyscraper is symbol of wealth and power.
As is every building of note that has survived since antiquity. Even ones built ostensibly for religious purposes .

The Pyramids, Colosseum, St. Peter's, Alhambra, Grand Palace, Forbidden City, etc.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So a lot of people will like or dislike a building based on what it represents, regardless of what it looks like.

Though Vittorio Emanuele II (wedding cake/typewriter) if it were reproduced exactly as is would be a masterpiece and jewel in any of our cities.
Well its definitely a masterpiece. That one can't argue.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 10:49 PM
I am the law!

Canada Life doesn't have the tiers of a wedding cake though. The Emmanuel monument doesn't either.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 11:22 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Montreal's Sun Life Building is an interesting case. It is kind of a skyscraper that doesn't want to be a skyscraper. Built in sections, the structure layers neoclassical blocks in such a way as to maintain a horizontal orientation even as it stretches above 100m in height.

Had the early New York skyscrapers of Park Row ascended to Chrysler-like heights, their bases might have looked like the Sun Life.

It is a peer to the Singer Building or the old New York World Building, a skyscraper without pronounced verticality. But it has its own sort of dominance, it is a European square-fronting building from the steel-frame era, like the Edificio Espana in Madrid. Senate House in London has a similar presence, although its more minimal, deco style is a later form.
A skyscraper wouldn't make much sense for a life insurance company that is going to occupy most or all of the building with its many employees. Most big insurers had large-floorplate buildings a little outside the high-rent district of downtown. Same with Great-West Life and the old Monarch Life in Winnipeg, in addition to eastern companies mentioned here already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada