HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:35 AM

New round about in Radium is pretty much done. Final paving left to do but it is ussable. Drove TCH to golden from Banff. Staking is pretty much a,one the whole route. There are some sections that have had some work done. There really is not much left for 4 Lanning.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Drove TCH to golden from Banff. Staking is pretty much a,one the whole route. There are some sections that have had some work done. There really is not much left for 4 Lanning.
I refuse to believe that I will live long enough to see that entire stretch 4-laned but I guess miracles do happen.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 6:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I refuse to believe that I will live long enough to see that entire stretch 4-laned but I guess miracles do happen.
Tell that to us who live in Ontario...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:02 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
New round about in Radium is pretty much done. Final paving left to do but it is ussable. Drove TCH to golden from Banff. Staking is pretty much a,one the whole route. There are some sections that have had some work done. There really is not much left for 4 Lanning.
Yeah - once this last phase of Kicking Horse Canyon is done it will basically just be the Yoho section (up to the Feds) to complete between Calgary & Golden.
http://https://www.pc.gc.ca/-/media/pn-np/bc/yoho/WET4/pdf/tch-twinning/apercu-du-projet_phaseIVB_project-overview.pdf?_ga=2.148606199.1305111974.1581079983-1263092526.1581079983

When you say “Staking on the whole route” are you just referring to the Kicking Horse Canyon section east of Golden ?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:42 PM

Yup. Survey stakes along most of the route. First noticed them when we pulled into Kikitawa falls.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 8:00 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Well that’s encouraging. Everything I read about the Yoho section says something along the lines of “not currently funded”

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Not a map available but have somewhere newspaper clippings from both Kelowna and Castlegar on the project.
It basically went as straight east as you can from Big White (starting just east of the Big White turnoff) to Arrow Lakes and split both north and south.
That would be incredible. However, the mountain pass required through the Midway Range of the Monashees, would be close to 2000 meters elevation.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

YOHO Twinning Phase IVB

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:15 AM

Interesting. Any idea where the results of the consultation are posted? If they could get this done in eight years that would be good but not great. Too bad this wasn't ready to go back in February as this year would have been ideal for highway construction.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:07 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Interesting. Any idea where the results of the consultation are posted? If they could get this done in eight years that would be good but not great. Too bad this wasn't ready to go back in February as this year would have been ideal for highway construction.
It's here

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
It's here
Thanks.

Under Planning Schedule there's an entry under "Stage/Milestone" that reads "Decision on Detailed Impact Analysis" with a Timing of Spring/Summer 2020. Has a decision been made? If this is approved or about to be it would be a great infrastructure project for the feds to invest in.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

yay traffic light at Field

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Yeah I was wondering if a decision on the DIA had been made as scheduled for spring/summer 2020 ?

The 8-10 year timeline to get funding and complete construction is about what I expected. When Airboy mentioned seeing stakes all along the route I got hopeful they might be accelerating things but I can’t find anything saying so.

And yes Dengler I agree - we can’t be adding traffic lights to the TCH so bite the bullet and do the Field intersection properly.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For me, I'm simply concerned that trucks will burn the red light regardless and kill people...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:46 PM

We discussed the traffic light at Fields on here months ago.

Sent in my response demanding an interchange there.

Also 8 to 10 years for completing 40km of highway is sadly lightning fast for the #1...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
We discussed the traffic light at Fields on here months ago.

Sent in my response demanding an interchange there.

Also 8 to 10 years for completing 40km of highway is sadly lightning fast for the #1...
I think it will be done faster. GoC is pushing some projects through faster for economic reasons. Also after driving that corridor a few weeks back, it already looks like some work has started.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:07 PM

Pretty ridiculous to add a signal to the Trans Canada, but it will be interesting to see how it is installed. This is a stretch of highway managed by Parks Canada, so it may not be installed to the same standard as BC MOTI signals. It will likely be a slightly different standard, maybe even have horizontal lights like Alberta has.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:19 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
I think it will be done faster. GoC is pushing some projects through faster for economic reasons. Also after driving that corridor a few weeks back, it already looks like some work has started.
Man I hope you’re right Airboy

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy95 View Post
Pretty ridiculous to add a signal to the Trans Canada, but it will be interesting to see how it is installed. This is a stretch of highway managed by Parks Canada, so it may not be installed to the same standard as BC MOTI signals. It will likely be a slightly different standard, maybe even have horizontal lights like Alberta has.
Nope, it's being installed exactly to BC's standard. One overhead light for every through lane, auxiliary lights left and right. I wish Alberta would adopt this standard as it's really useful to know how many through lanes there are when visiblity is poor or the road is covered with snow.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 5:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Anything happening on Kicking Horse Phase 4 yet ?
The website hasn’t been updated since June.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia