HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:01 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Unprecedented anywhere in New York City, such density “far exceeds what can be considered good planning for the future of the city or the local community,” the committee said. “An environment dominated by monumental and intimidating buildings,” such as Durst’s 80-story home for Conde Nast or Brookfield’s proposed 100-story tower on Eighth Avenue, is seen by HYCAC as incompatible with a livable city. [/size]
I'm sorry, but am I missing something? When talking about Manhattan, a person would have to be mentally retarted to make such a statement. I mean that statement alone "incompatible with a liveable city" leaves me with a blank stare. Are these people seeing the same Manhattan that everyone else is? Have their eyes been altered to picture the World as a grassy plain? Such an idiotic and moronic statement that is.

If they consider these proposals "incompatible", then the Jersey suburbs are right across the river and 10 minutes down the Jersey Turnpike. Honestly, I'll even pay their transit fares to relocate themselves to East Brunswick or any other suburb. If that is what it takes, then it's the best money I will ever spend.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Are these people seeing the same Manhattan that everyone else is?
They're living in Kansas on the Hudson....
(Not to be confused with Hong Kong on the Hudson)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Maybe we'll finally get some renderings for this one...
http://ny.therealdeal.com/articles/9008

Brookfield plans Manhattan West near Hudson Yards

02/07/08

Brookfield Properties has announced that it will develop a three-acre rail yard between Hudson Yards and Penn Station. Brookfield will begin building a platform over the rail yards in June.

The 5.4 million square feet of new office and mixed-use space will be called Manhattan West. The first tower at the $600 million development, which runs from 31st to 33rd Streets and Ninth Avenue to the Lincoln Tunnel, could be built by 2013. Brookfield is one of five developers to bid on Hudson Yards.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
http://www.observer.com/2007/brookfi...ide?page=0%2C0

Brookfield’s Ric Clark: ‘Once in a Century’ Chance on West Side

by Eliot Brown
November 27, 2007

What’s the status of your plans to develop a large site on Ninth Avenue just west of Penn Station?

We’re just working through the details on a couple of different alternatives.
The site at the moment looks most likely like it will be a
two-building office complex, roughly five million rentable square feet, with a grand covered public space in between the two buildings.
A variation on that scheme is, we might include a hotel/residential building on the southwest portion of the site.

The size of the development has increased from the original size, and it seems the 4 tower plan has also officially been scrapped:

http://www.observer.com/2008/brookfi...de-development

Brookfield Says It’s Making Progress With Merrill, West Side Development

by Eliot Brown
February 7, 2008

....It also looks like things have progressed a bit with Brookfield and its plans for an office complex two blocks west of Penn Station. When we last checked in with CEO Ric Clark in December, he told us that the site was likely to have two large office buildings, with about 5 million square feet in full.

Mr. Clark said today construction of a platform over the rail yards on the site would start as early as June, with completion in 2010. The new $600 million complex would be done by 2013, but Mr. Clark did not say in the call that he had an anchor tenant lined up, and without one, it would seem less likely that construction of the towers would start.

Good to see this moving forward so soon.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 1:19 AM
Time/Space

Exciting news! I hope they do find some tenants. They will I am sure.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Unprecedented anywhere in New York City, such density “far exceeds what can be considered good planning for the future of the city or the local community,” the committee said. “An environment dominated by monumental and intimidating buildings,” such as Durst’s 80-story home for Conde Nast or Brookfield’s proposed 100-story tower on Eighth Avenue, is seen by HYCAC as incompatible with a livable city.
Do those guys even think before they talk? Shit's located on the SAME DAMN STREET as the FUCKING EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. Jeez.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Do those guys even think before they talk? Shit's located on the SAME DAMN STREET as the FUCKING EMPIRE STATE BUILDING. Jeez.
They think good planning for a "livable city" is to allow companies to move out of Manhattan for lack of space.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:05 PM

Why can't we just pack them all onto little sail boats and send them up to the arctic? I'm still taking applications for my nimby assassins tribe. We need someone sharp shooting skills.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:26 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/ny...on&oref=slogin

Work to Begin on Platform Over Tracks on the West Side

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
February 21, 2008

Despite a flagging economy, Brookfield Properties says it will start work in June on a $600 million platform over railroad tracks near Ninth Avenue, where it plans to build two towering office buildings.

Brookfield, a major commercial landlord in Manhattan, has owned the property between Ninth and Dyer Avenues, between 31st and 33rd Streets, for more than 22 years. But it has had difficulty luring a prominent company to what has long been regarded as Manhattan’s last real estate frontier.

The company now says the time is ripe to begin work. Development is pushing westward, and the site is only one block west of Pennsylvania Station. The vacancy rate for Manhattan office buildings is still relatively low, and the credit markets should recover fairly quickly from the subprime mortgage crisis, said Richard B. Clark, chief executive of Brookfield. “For a long time, we believed that the West Side would be the city’s next commercial zone,” Mr. Clark said. “It’s clear that the time is now to make something of this site.”

Brookfield’s project is no simple matter. More than half of the five-acre site is over railroad tracks, which extend from Pennsylvania Station to the West Side railyards. Brookfield must build a three-acre platform, while trains continue to run below, before it can start putting up its first building. It hopes to sign a major tenant during the two years the job is expected to take.

Brookfield’s architect, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, has designed two towers, a 1.9-million-square-foot building at the northeast corner of the site and a 3.4-million-square-foot building at the southeast corner.

In many respects, the project is a warm-up for the West Side railyards, where five developers are competing for the development rights. At the railyards, between 10th and 12th Avenues, from 30th to 34th Streets, developers will have to build two 13-acre platforms, at an estimated cost of $1.5 billion. They would then have the right to build 12 million square feet of high-rise office and residential buildings. Brookfield is one of the companies expected to submit a second round of bids to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Tuesday. But with concerns about the economy growing, many real estate executives and government officials worry that developers may reduce their offers.

Brookfield is not alone in pushing forward with new office projects. Even so, some real estate executives warn that some of those projects could be postponed, especially if the developer lacks an anchor tenant, and new buildings may not rise over the West Side railyards for years.

Over the past five years, developers have largely ignored office projects in favor of erecting lucrative residential towers, even though the destruction of the World Trade Center sharply reduced available office space. In that time, developers built only 16 commercial buildings with a total of 14.4 million square feet, according to the Real Estate Board of New York.

As companies expanded, space became tight and commercial rents soared, with many prime buildings now fetching more than $100 a square foot in annual rent. So developers are once again putting up office towers, some without an anchor tenant. There are four towers under construction, with a combined total of 6.7 million square feet, and another four towers with 11.3 million square feet planned.

SJP Properties is building a 1.1-million-square-foot tower at Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street. To the north, Boston Properties is excavating a site between 54th and 55th Streets for a 39-story, 1-million-square-foot building that is scheduled to be finished in 2010. A year from now, Boston Properties and its partner, Related Companies, plan to start a second tower, with 900,000 square feet, at Eighth Avenue between 45th and 46th Streets.

“We obviously continue to feel good about west Midtown,” said Robert E. Selsam, senior vice president of Boston Properties.

At the World Trade Center site, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is building the 2.6-million-square-foot Freedom Tower, and JPMorgan Chase has signed a deal to erect a 1.3-million-square-foot building nearby. And on Church Street, the developer Larry Silverstein is beginning work on what will be three 60-story skyscrapers with a total of 6.2 million square feet.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 1:31 PM

3.4 million square feet is huge!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 2:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
3.4 million square feet is huge!
Yeah, that's very huge, the largest proposal we've had in years. It's larger than any of the WTC towers, or the railyard proposals. In fact, its larger than SOM's own Brookfield proposal for the railyards, which called for two towers of 1,280 ft and 970 ft.

Quote:
Brookfield’s architect, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, has designed two towers, a 1.9-million-square-foot building at the northeast corner of the site and a 3.4-million-square-foot building at the southeast corner.
For comparison, the SOM Brookfield railyard proposal called for towers of 1.9 msf and 1.4 msf. That would make Brookfield's largest railyard proposal equal in size to the smaller of the two Manhattan West (9th Ave) towers.

It could potentially make this development more dominant overall on the skyline than any of the railyard towers. It would be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:54 PM

It's going to be bigger than the Freedom Tower and the Empire State Building......I can't believe more people aren't excited about this yet. I guess it's the lack of renders. Hopefully this giant will be tall and chunky with a real spire.........no more needles in that area PLEASE! SOMs recent giant buildings all seem pretty similar..........nice, but similar.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
Time/Space

Brookfield Taps SOM for Other West Side Rail Yards

by Eliot Brown | February 21, 2008

Brookfield Properties seems to like the architectural veterans over at Skidmore Owings and Merrill these days. Brookfield brought on the longtime firm to design its two signature towers in its bid for the West Side rail yards, and now the mega-office landlord has released an SOM-designed rendering for two office towers on a superblock to the east, bounded by 31st and 33rd streets, and Ninth and 10th Avenues (which are rather reminiscent of the designs for the rail yards to the east). The site currently opens to rail tracks that lead into Pennsylvania Station.

The Times’ Charles Bagli had a piece today on Brookfield’s development, and while the print edition had a small rendering, the online version went without it. Accordingly, I called over to the folks at Brookfield, and they gave us the pretty picture to the right.

Brookfield announced plans earlier this month to start construction on a $600 million platform over the rail tracks around June, with completion expected in 2010. The first of the office/mixed-use towers could see completion by 2013; though, as CEO Ric Clark told us a few months back, they probably won't build without a tenant.

If the renderings don't show it, these towers will be really, really tall. The one on the left is supposed to be 66 stories at 1,216 feet, while the one on the right is supposed to be 60 at 935 feet, according to a Brookfield spokeswoman.

For comparison, the Empire State Building is 1,250 feet.

http://www.observer.com/2008/brookfi...ide-rail-yards

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:51 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
It's going to be bigger than the Freedom Tower and the Empire State Building......I can't believe more people aren't excited about this yet. I guess it's the lack of renders. Hopefully this giant will be tall and chunky with a real spire.........no more needles in that area PLEASE! SOMs recent giant buildings all seem pretty similar..........nice, but similar.
"The one on the left is supposed to be 66 stories at 1,216 feet, while the one on the right is supposed to be 60 at 935 feet, according to a Brookfield spokeswoman.

For comparison, the Empire State Building is 1,250 feet."

How do you figure the tower is bigger than either the ESB or the FT? Not heightwise, anyway...

Still, I AM excited that yet another giant project comes to NYC...

I just hope it doesn't die the death of a thousand cuts...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:57 PM
Time/Space

The one on the right (shorter) will be built right next to the building where I currently work at. I am surprise they did not buy that 12 story building. Although my company is moving out for bigger space this year.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 11:28 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Brookfield announced plans earlier this month to start construction on a $600 million platform over the rail tracks around June, with completion expected in 2010. The first of the office/mixed-use towers could see completion by 2013; though, as CEO Ric Clark told us a few months back, they probably won't build without a tenant.

While I find it hard to believe Brookfield will spend $600 million and NOT build afterwards, I think one reason why excitement to date has been muted is obviously due to the extended timeline for these towers.

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Feb 22, 2008 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Almost a direct copy, right down to the plaza between the towers...

(curbed.com)

Economic slowdown be damned, Brookfield Properties is moving full steam ahead on its gigantic Manhattan West office park on the west side rail yards that aren't quite the West Side Rail Yards. The company has enlisted the services of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill—the same firm behind the two signature towers of Brookfield's Hudson Yards bid—to design two more huge office towers for Manhattan West, which, confusingly, is just to the east. At top right, a rendering of the new buildings, as well as a refresher on the hypothetical One and Two Hudson Place at Hudson Yards. Our initial gut reaction was that SOM is being lazy, but then we realized the genius. Now Brookfield has to win the development rights for Hudson Yards, just so the design becomes contextual.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
How do you figure the tower is bigger than either the ESB or the FT? Not heightwise, anyway...
I'm sure he was talking about the size. Anyway, the tallest tower is a full 1 msf larger than it was when the development was first announced. The entire development has grown about 700,000 msf in size, Im not sure how. But we are looking at a line of supertall towers from the ESB all the way to the river.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 2:51 AM

Quote:
I'm sure he was talking about the size. Anyway, the tallest tower is a full 1 msf larger than it was when the development was first announced. The entire development has grown about 700,000 msf in size, Im not sure how. But we are looking at a line of supertall towers from the ESB all the way to the river.
Yes, size wise. Is there something in the lower part of the buildings or are those areas a reflection?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 3:12 AM
New Yorker for life

A larger pic. These aren't very detailed renderings, just a basic massing of whatever SOM's working on.

MANHATTAN WEST

Two towers:
66 stories - 3.4 msf - 1,216 ft
60 stories - 1.9 msf - 935 ft

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive