HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, if money grew on trees, subway under halsted to 35th, subway under 35th to archer, subway under archer out to the airport.

but money doesn't grow on trees, so the CTA did what it could with what it had.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It continues to annoy me how prime land next to Orange Line stops continues to be slated for industrial or other low-intensity uses. Cougle's site is not just next to the Orange Line stop, but on river frontage to boot, in an area where we've seen strong interest in riverfront residential.
Agree, though it seems that maybe in the future around a few it could get better. Ashland stop on the south end not far away has a bunch of stuff coming from Chinese developers. New buildings with a few hundred new residential units and probably multiple eateries/stores.

I have friends here in NYC going to Chicago for the first time next weekend. They're flying into Midway and taking the Orange Line in. I told them to not be impressed at all with anything they see along the ride.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I have friends here in NYC going to Chicago for the first time next weekend. They're flying into Midway and taking the Orange Line in. I told them to not be impressed at all with anything they see along the ride.
True. But they are from a city with next to no airport to CBD trains. Does Newark? It was busted last time I flew in there. Had to haggle to score a cab.

Also, if they are on the left side of the L, there are some fairly killer views of the Loop if one squints to blur out the foreground.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordSoxFan View Post
That area around Google hq is on fire. I expected demo of the Coyne site by now. Any news for that one yet? Its got to be getting close.
Probably not til after gr333n is finished bc that building is stripped on the inside to bare bones and serves as a constructon office for power

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
True. But they are from a city with next to no airport to CBD trains. Does Newark? It was busted last time I flew in there. Had to haggle to score a cab.

Also, if they are on the left side of the L, there are some fairly killer views of the Loop if one squints to blur out the foreground.
They live in New Jersey, and it's the part where you absolutely need a car (like 10 miles from Jersey City/Hoboken).. so I'm not THAT concerned. And he didn't seem to care. Still funny though.

They're staying in downtown at least so it's all good.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:39 AM
Urbane observer

How very North Side to think the Orange Line was built to serve Midway Airport. There were only a few thousand boardings a year at MDW when the Orange Line was being planned.

The idea was to finally provide rapid transit service to the neglected Southwest Side. Lots of folks transfer from buses at the intermediate stations, and at Midway I'd guess less than a quarter of the passengers boarding have any interest in the airport.

And yes, it was very much built on the cheap, using traded-in Crosstown Expressway money. It ran on existing railroad ROW almost all the way—and never made it to Ford City—and even the Roosevelt transfer tunnel and down escalators got value-engineered out.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:56 AM

740 N Aberdeen

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:06 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Community Meeting Notice:
40 West Oak
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
6:00 - 7:30 PM
Moody Bible Institute - Torrey-Grey Auditorium
821 North Wells Street
Dear Neighbor,

You are invited to attend a community meeting to discuss a proposed high-rise at 40 West Oak St, on the location of the current parking structure next to Warren Barr. The meeting will be co-hosted with the River North Residents Association.

The applicant, Nahla Capital, is seeking community feedback for a proposed Residential Planned Development at 40 W. Oak Street. The proposal features 90 luxury condominium units with 160 parking spaces on-site, with parking to remain shared between the building and adjacent rehabilitation center.
Interesting development.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:26 PM

New 260' Hotel in 'River North'

Technically this is Cabrini as it's north of Chicago Ave (literally right next to the now boarded up rowhomes), but hey that's marketing right?

Now that the Hudson is finished, along with NEXT & Niche a bit north-east, the area is somewhat improving.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Interesting development.
Any word if it'll be the Lucien Lagrange building?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:54 PM

That's the one ChiPlanner

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
How very North Side to think the Orange Line was built to serve Midway Airport. There were only a few thousand boardings a year at MDW when the Orange Line was being planned.

The idea was to finally provide rapid transit service to the neglected Southwest Side. Lots of folks transfer from buses at the intermediate stations, and at Midway I'd guess less than a quarter of the passengers boarding have any interest in the airport.

And yes, it was very much built on the cheap, using traded-in Crosstown Expressway money. It ran on existing railroad ROW almost all the way—and never made it to Ford City—and even the Roosevelt transfer tunnel and down escalators got value-engineered out.
The Orange line has probably saved me 10k because I've never had to buy a car. This is the sort of stuff people don't think about in many neighborhoods I feel...

And to mariothisu's comment on the NYC people not seeing anything interesting on the ride in.... if you get a north facing seat (left side of the car), you get a great view of the city on a non-overcast/hazy day

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
That's the one ChiPlanner
Dang, I was low-key hoping we'd be rid of any new LL designed PoMo-French-Deco-Absurdities in the city once and for all.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
New 260' Hotel in 'River North'

Technically this is Cabrini as it's north of Chicago Ave (literally right next to the now boarded up rowhomes), but hey that's marketing right?

Now that the Hudson is finished, along with NEXT & Niche a bit north-east, the area is somewhat improving.
Media is slow:

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been talked about at all or not. New proposal for Cleveland & Chicago Ave for a new 24 story (260 feet to the very top) hotel with 216 rooms, 90 parking spots, and 8000 sq ft of ground floor retail. Looks like it was slated for multi unit residential previously.

Developer is KR Development - Daniel Rezko. Pappageorge Haymes is the architect. Currently a vacant piece of land:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Agree, though it seems that maybe in the future around a few it could get better. Ashland stop on the south end not far away has a bunch of stuff coming from Chinese developers. New buildings with a few hundred new residential units and probably multiple eateries/stores.

It's not the best first impression of Chicago, thats for sure. Similar to the Blue line in LA. Same kinds of areas. I'm sure NYC has some elevated lines that aren't the most scenic either.
That said, I have some friends in that part of the city and took the orange line there. Like others have said, many busy bus routes connect to the line, and it always seems busy from what I saw.

Not every part of the city is gonna have giant TODS and such, because the marketplace isn't there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Any word if it'll be the Lucien Lagrange building?

So this is still whats on drawing board for this site as far as we know? ..anyone got details on height?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
It's not the best first impression of Chicago, thats for sure. Similar to the Blue line in LA. Same kinds of areas. I'm sure NYC has some elevated lines that aren't the most scenic either.
That said, I have some friends in that part of the city and took the orange line there. Like others have said, many busy bus routes connect to the line, and it always seems busy from what I saw.

Not every part of the city is gonna have giant TODS and such, because the marketplace isn't there.
Have you been to LaGuardua? It's just about the worst first impression of a place you can get. Last time I transferred to the L from the LaGuardia bus (yes no direct train access) I got to watch two bums grappling on the platform for 5 mins before the train showed up. Saw a rat on the platform when I got off to transfer in Midtown...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:01 PM

That is the new design? I originally thought I was looking at a 20 year old picture of the Waldorf Astoria. Yuch.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been talked about at all or not. New proposal for Cleveland & Chicago Ave for a new 24 story (260 feet to the very top) hotel with 216 rooms, 90 parking spots, and 8000 sq ft of ground floor retail. Looks like it was slated for multi unit residential previously.

Developer is KR Development - Daniel Rezko. Pappageorge Haymes is the architect. Currently a vacant piece of land:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i16384!8i8192
Seems like they're banking on the office development at Tribune printing to take off. Either that or an off-off-Michigan Avenue hotel option.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Have you been to LaGuardua? It's just about the worst first impression of a place you can get. Last time I transferred to the L from the LaGuardia bus (yes no direct train access) I got to watch two bums grappling on the platform for 5 mins before the train showed up. Saw a rat on the platform when I got off to transfer in Midtown...
No, I haven't. I've heard bad things though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations