HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
That's exactly why the city needs to incentivize developers through tax breaks on financing and prop taxes for the first couple years so that they can get the affordable units built and allow for large towers without an obscene amount of aro units too. NYC does it through a program called 80/20
The idea of doing much the way NYC does it fills me with dread. I'd reduce the ARO requirement and up zone like crazy including waving the PD requirements for hight/unit count near transit. The best way to keep things affordable is to make it easy to build.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Plus, how would that work with condos?

Mandating affordable condos is far more complex. Would buyers of those qualify for loans? Could they afford the HOA fees?
You can definitely sell affordable condos - I helped sell several in the Cabrini area. You get the sales price by working backwards from AMI and a mortgage rate assumption. Affordable buyers pay the full amount of HOA, so that means the sales price has to go down a little further so that their mortgage + HOA don’t exceed 30% of income.

Yes, there’s a fair bit of math involved, but it’s not rocket science if you’re used to putting together pro formas. IIRC the project affordability agreement with the city specifies the affordability level (50% AMI, 80% AMI, etc) and that level effectively sets a floor on how low the sales price can go for each unit, so you can use that low-end sales price to determine whether the overall project will pencil.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:20 PM

Bush Temple of Music - 810 N Clark

Sept 4

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 10:52 PM

I'm not sure if this has been talked about at all or not. New proposal for Cleveland & Chicago Ave for a new 24 story (260 feet to the very top) hotel with 216 rooms, 90 parking spots, and 8000 sq ft of ground floor retail. Looks like it was slated for multi unit residential previously.

Developer is KR Development - Daniel Rezko. Pappageorge Haymes is the architect. Currently a vacant piece of land:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:41 PM

800 W Fulton 9/16

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm not sure if this has been talked about at all or not. New proposal for Cleveland & Chicago Ave for a new 24 story (260 feet to the very top) hotel with 216 rooms, 90 parking spots, and 8000 sq ft of ground floor retail. Looks like it was slated for multi unit residential previously.

Developer is KR Development - Daniel Rezko. Pappageorge Haymes is the architect. Currently a vacant piece of land:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i16384!8i8192
I really hope this happens....but it wont.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07 View Post
I really hope this happens....but it wont.
Why wouldn't it happen?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:12 PM

Gr333n - 333 N Green

Sept 13

...and... my first attempt a video
Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by harryc; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:18 PM

400 N Aberdeen (Aberdeen & Kinzie). Office with 395,000 sq ft of space with 12,000 sq ft of ground floor commercial/office/retail, and 150 parking spaces. Developer is Trammell Crow (same developer as West End on Fulton).

16 total stories - unable to read the exact height in feet. Architect is ESG in Minneapolis who also designed Marlowe in River North (https://www.esgarch.com/work/)

This would take up the entire parcel bounded Kinzie, Aberdeen, May, and the train tracks near Hubbard.

Also:

308 S Green. Currently a surface parking lot just south of Jackson. Plan for a 13 story office building with ground floor commercial. 167 feet to the very top. Fitzgerald are the architects.

Currently: https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...8!4d-87.648748

Last edited by marothisu; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:06 PM

167 N Green 9/17

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Sep 18, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:11 AM

4th high rise of the zoning applications. See the other 3 in my previous posts. This time for Carroll for the parcel between Aberdeen and May. Also known as the City Technology Center - it would include office as well as a 200 room hotel with 282 parking spots, 100 bicycle parking spots, and 5500 sq ft of ground floor commercial space. Building is 18 floors with a maximum height of 330 feet.

Site was a Ryder Truck Rental lot:

Oh and also there's another zoning app up for a parcel of land to be built out for industrial/manufacturing near the Ashland Orange Line stop. Guess who it's for? Cougle. It specifically mentions how they're moving from Fulton Market to this parcel. Guess who has the land across the street from this proposal to the east? Cougle. What shares one intersection with Cougle? Google! Bunch of stuff proposed for this immediate area..

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about these drawings. Feels like someone was trying too hard to be different in some way:

Source: Pappageorge Haymes

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:17 AM

Surely the neighbors will be happy to see they've "broken down the massing"...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Oh and also there's another zoning app up for a parcel of land to be built out for industrial/manufacturing near the Ashland Orange Line stop. Guess who it's for? Cougle. It specifically mentions how they're moving from Fulton Market to this parcel. Guess who has the land across the street from this proposal to the east? Cougle. What shares one intersection with Cougle? Google! Bunch of stuff proposed for this immediate area..
It continues to annoy me how prime land next to Orange Line stops continues to be slated for industrial or other low-intensity uses. Cougle's site is not just next to the Orange Line stop, but on river frontage to boot, in an area where we've seen strong interest in riverfront residential.

I keep hoping the large parcel along Bubbly Creek at the end of 31st St can become some kind of dense residential. Something like Lathrop (architecturally) would be a great fit for the scale of Bridgeport and could bring some decent density.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:36 PM

Reminds me of the samsung hq building in San Jose, Ca but less stumpy.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It continues to annoy me how prime land next to Orange Line stops continues to be slated for industrial or other low-intensity uses. Cougle's site is not just next to the Orange Line stop, but on river frontage to boot, in an area where we've seen strong interest in riverfront residential.

I keep hoping the large parcel along Bubbly Creek at the end of 31st St can become some kind of dense residential. Something like Lathrop (architecturally) would be a great fit for the scale of Bridgeport and could bring some decent density.
The Orange Line is a joke

I cringe whenever I ride that thing. I mean, why did Chicago bother with it other than just the Midway-downtown connection?

Most of the stops are surrounded by forgettable nonsense. Strip shopping centers, industrial land, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:45 PM

That area around Google hq is on fire. I expected demo of the Coyne site by now. Any news for that one yet? Its got to be getting close.
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
The Orange Line is a joke

I cringe whenever I ride that thing. I mean, why did Chicago bother with it other than just the Midway-downtown connection?

Most of the stops are surrounded by forgettable nonsense. Strip shopping centers, industrial land, etc.
Especially in a city that could benefit from MORE rail transit.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I mean, why did Chicago bother with it other than just the Midway-downtown connection?
you just answered your own question.

a rail connection to MDW was the point, and the city didn't have the money to go acquiring new ROW land and building miles of new elevated structures, so they did it on the cheap by primarily utilizing existing elevated freight ROWs that go through some pretty industrial, gritty areas.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Architect is ESG in Minneapolis who also designed Marlowe in River North
I think they designed only the interiors and Antunafish Associates did the building.
Quote:

308 S Green
Same project as this?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
you just answered your own question.

a rail connection to MDW was the point, and the city didn't have the money to go acquiring new ROW land and building miles of new elevated structures, so they did it on the cheap by primarily utilizing existing elevated freight ROWs that go through some pretty industrial, gritty areas.
It's really not that bad, what other route would you take to MDW? It follows Archer halfway there and then follows Western Blvd. What other pedestrian friendly major thouroughfares are there on the SW side? Sure it could have followed Archer most of the way, but honestly that part of town is just very industrial.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations