HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:54 AM

353 W Grand:

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Chicago Plan Commission agenda for Sept 19th, 3 highrises proposed: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...gal_Notice.pdf

12 W. Maple:

Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...uxe-condo-plan
OK, so the solution here is to flip the tower orientation so the ammenity deck is to the west (who wants to swim in the shade after noon every day?) and cantilever it or hang it off the side of the building over the top of the historic three flat. Sell that as a SFH for like $10 million.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
OK, so the solution here is to flip the tower orientation so the ammenity deck is to the west (who wants to swim in the shade after noon every day?) and cantilever it or hang it off the side of the building over the top of the historic three flat. Sell that as a SFH for like $10 million.
Better act fast in any case. 16 W Maple cleared the 90 day demolition delay hold on August 20th, and if a demolition permit hasn't been issued yet, it will be issued any day.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:39 PM
tilted & shifted

Yesterday, I saw a survey team working at the NE corner of Lasalle and Illinois.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Yesterday, I saw a survey team working at the NE corner of Lasalle and Illinois.
Could it be? https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/1/30...salle-illinois

Also adjacent to south of the above https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ed-river-north

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:54 PM

Hopkins says no to 1130 N State

Curbed (quoting the Tribune):
Quote:
“It’s excessively tall for that lot, it’s not an attractive structure and it does not fit in with the neighborhood,” Hopkins told the Tribune. “They missed the mark on all counts.”

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:46 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post

“It’s excessively tall for that lot, it’s not an attractive structure and it does not fit in with the neighborhood,” Hopkins told the Tribune. “They missed the mark on all counts.”
It’s excessively tall for that lot - It's downtown Chicago get used to tall you moron.

it’s not an attractive structure - that's an opinion but even though I'm not personally a fan of it I think it's a good building design execution regardless

it does not fit in with the neighborhood - haha wtf, yeah the 3 flats next door would make this thing totally not vibe with the rest of the neighborhood
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:40 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post

Hopkins seems to be every bit the panderer that Reilly is with respect to many Gold Coast Proposals. Awful.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:33 PM

Nothing annoys me more than an alderman saying "its to tall" for a lot in downtown chicago...not even a few blocks south there is a plus 500 ft building so the rational is ridiculous... and someone should speak out to these alderman saying when JHC was built was that too tall for the area?... neighborhoods change as demand changes...stop trying to prevent it... this is valuable real estate...developers are entitled to build to there profits as deems fit!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Nothing annoys me more than an alderman saying "its to tall" for a lot in downtown chicago...not even a few blocks south there is a plus 500 ft building so the rational is ridiculous... and someone should speak out to these alderman saying when JHC was built was that too tall for the area?... neighborhoods change as demand changes...stop trying to prevent it... this is valuable real estate...developers are entitled to build to there profits as deems fit!
I agree, Hopkins rationale was totally lame and bogus. This is Chicago and not Champaign, we build tall towers downtown. He is probably pandering to Nimbys because of his LY push.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 10:58 PM

Renelle today-

Last edited by kolchak; Sep 4, 2019 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:05 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Nothing annoys me more than an alderman saying "its to tall" for a lot in downtown chicago...not even a few blocks south there is a plus 500 ft building
Wait until you guys find out that zoning designations can actually be different from block to block. Sometimes even within the exact same block!

It's worth bearing in mind that the only way Hopkins gets to say no is because the developer is asking to build more than is allowed by law.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:03 AM

Definitely not too tall for the area. But you have to admit, the design is pretty dam ugly. Not a huge loss.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Definitely not too tall for the area. But you have to admit, the design is pretty dam ugly. Not a huge loss.
Annoyed with the arbitrary decision but relived that design isn’t getting built.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:15 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
All time slowest project in Chicago history. Especially considering how much of a slam dunk it is....
Developer of Archer/Canal retail project in Chinatown would like you to hold his beer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 12:20 PM

Garage at 50 E Randolph (Randolph & Wabash) got a demolition permit yesterday. A new 25 story, 190 unit building will go there in its place:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/12/2...-east-randolph

-----

New construction building permit was issued for 800 W Fulton Market aka 331 N Green St. Foundation up through the lower levels. This is the SOM designed office building - 18 stories, 36 parking spaces and ground floor retail/commercial.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/3/13...arket-thor-som

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
this is valuable real estate...developers are entitled to build to there profits as deems fit!
Not that I agree with the decision, but this quote is obviously not true. The developer needs a Zoning Change, hence why the Alderman even has the authority to reject. The developer is not entitled to build the high rise.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:34 PM

845 W Madison Window Wall

Now that the window wall is going up on the upper floors of 845 W Madison (first five are window with brick, upper floors are window wall), is this an awful case of value engineering?

Check out the rendering on Buck's website vs. actual photos I took yesterday. A whole lot less glass and a whole lot more coated metal wall. The finish is pretty ugly too when you see it in person (pictures aren't doing it justice). It's two tone colors of grey with like a truck liner finish to the metal.

Reminds me of a highway exit quick serve hotel - just need to punch through the packaged HVAC units for each unit to complete the look.

9/5 Shot on Madison frontage:
845 W Madison by G S, on Flickr

Detail of Window Wall:
845 W Madison Detail by G S, on Flickr

Rendering from John Buck's website (with red mark by me to note area of photos):
845 Rendering by G S, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Not that I agree with the decision, but this quote is obviously not true. The developer needs a Zoning Change, hence why the Alderman even has the authority to reject. The developer is not entitled to build the high rise.
As space becomes scarce and land values increase... zoning changes are an absolute necessity (especially this area which is probably the most densest\pricest in downtown).. the aldermans use the zoning change as leverage not to approve increases (either there personal or supposed "community" opinion) which is the problem with this whole process... We all been talking on this forum for years about land values and as empty lots get gobbled up downtown the taller buildings will arrive more frequently as times goes on (ala manhatten) ...well thats not gonna happen without zoning changes, especially when the type of zoning for a lot of land 30 years ago might not make sense now. Yes the developer is not entitled to build but seems like pretty bad business practice for not allowing to maximize your land values in extremely high demand areas!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:21 PM

I agree on 845 Madison, that's quite the bait and switch. Unfortunate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations