HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Grant Park 3 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 1:44 AM

No, 73 and 83 stories are the current proposed heights in the requested Administrative change.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
No, 73 and 83 stories are the current proposed heights in the requested Administrative change.
Gotcha.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:20 AM

Did anyone catch whether there will be active-use space surrounding the parking podium? P/H did this for the Park Michigan project, it would be welcome here as well.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:24 AM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Did anyone catch whether there will be active-use space surrounding the parking podium? P/H did this for the Park Michigan project, it would be welcome here as well.
Units for this tower come all the way down to the second floor on both the Roosevelt Road and Indiana Avenue sides, while the ground level will have retail space.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:45 AM
Expert

The problem is that the footprint AND height of these towers are too similar. Too bad they can't put a single Supertall in where towers 3 & 4 are planned. That would change the whole dynamic of the South wall--for the better, IMHO.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:01 AM

I personally think that the southern streetwall would have been better with shorter buildings that formed a consistent wall. More square structures, that didn't have space between them just a few floors up. Then you could have the 800-1100 footers come in the second row, and capitalize on the views for more buildings. But more importantly, it would give some texture and depth rather than just a row of buildings with nothing behind them. With these behemoths in place, the lots behind won't be attractive for tall towers.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
But more importantly, it would give some texture and depth rather than just a row of buildings with nothing behind them. With these behemoths in place, the lots behind won't be attractive for tall towers.
I really tend to agree with you (even though I'm pretty happy about what I've seen so far). Keep in mind that a lot (most? all?) of the land directly south of these four buildings is owned by the same developers.

Sort of insignificant, but they mentioned the space between GP3 and 4 is about 70'. and these buildings aren't all that tall. Hence, there is still a possibility for that dense feeling you would like in the area. Someone just needs to build something big, tall, and bulky during the next boom.

haha, next boom. if this one ever ends (<== rhetorical pondering)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:38 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
I personally think that the southern streetwall would have been better with shorter buildings that formed a consistent wall. More square structures, that didn't have space between them just a few floors up. Then you could have the 800-1100 footers come in the second row, and capitalize on the views for more buildings. But more importantly, it would give some texture and depth rather than just a row of buildings with nothing behind them. With these behemoths in place, the lots behind won't be attractive for tall towers.
I would not disagree with this, you make some good points but would it be possible to do this, I mean enough room to pull something like this off? The lack of a wall here does not bother me at all however. We already have an amazing wall across the street, so I think it will create a good blend of old and new. And the height does not bother me one bit. Other cities would kill for buildings like this, I love the density the south skyline will now have. Something it has always lacked.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:02 AM

Meh.

These guys look really good. Not every skyscraper will suit one's taste, (There are Chicago prop/UCs I don't like), but IMO on average, Chicago (and Hong Kong) has the best looking skyscrapers in the world. Gotta admit, GP4 scared me a little unitl I read the part that it isn't quite finished yet.

Hoping GP4 gets a Spire >

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:09 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Then you could have the 800-1100 footers come in the second row, and capitalize on the views for more buildings.
Thats on think I love about S. Michigan ave. You have the old streetwall with modern giants rising behind it. HOWEVER, the Randolph streetwall does not follow this design. I feel that having the Randolph and Roosevelt walls paralleling eachother is a valid decision.

I would have preferred the other, but perhaps these condos wouldn't have sold as well without the garunteed views. However, they're sure to bring along friends and hopefully its a diverse crowd.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 5:36 AM

Seriously, OMP is turning out to be stunning, and if that is any indication on how the other three will look, we will have an absolute amazing wall of towers framing southern Grant Park. Remember, this is a WALL, do not expect layers of buildings or extreme height variation.

We have the best towers going up in the world right now and when the dust finally settles from our current boom, people will look at Chicago in amazement.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:17 AM
JoeCooper

Pretty damn great I'd say and awesome to say the least! This will be a wonderful group of buildings and will be a great addition to continue expanding the loop. When all is said and done, these buildings will all look spactacular and go together perfectly! They will definetly be exciting to watch rise...

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Oct 6, 2007 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 6:22 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
Seriously, OMP is turning out to be stunning, and if that is any indication on how the other three will look, we will have an absolute amazing wall of towers framing southern Grant Park. Remember, this is a WALL, do not expect layers of buildings or extreme height variation.

We have the best towers going up in the world right now and when the dust finally settles from our current boom, people will look at Chicago in amazement.
BTW, hopefully the dust never will settle... Chicago is one of of VERY few cities that has the potential and strength to keep growing, AND is not afraid to.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:00 AM
Registered

You know, I've come to decide that the undulating facades are tacky. The sail part is great, but it would be so much stronger with a blocky portion next to it. The south elevation is especially annoying.

Anyway, it will be great to have such density on the south wall, even if it's all P/H stuff for miles.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:05 AM
BANNED

You did it my man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Someone needs to post the Grant park lollapolza image, photo and render insert, that was posted a while back to give a people perspective from Grant park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2020 View Post
This will change alot of views for alot of out of towners enjoying our 2/3 attempt at a midwest version of CP NYC.

Still a long way to go and a lot of track to cover, but if the density coming demands it, it will happen and just in tme for 2016.

BTW the Columbian looks like an older cousin to these new upstarts, which is funny because alot of people bemoand that the Colombian was all by its lonesome.

Things Change around here and latley most for the better.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:10 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Anyway, it will be great to have such density on the south wall, even if it's all P/H stuff for miles.
I agree with you on that, even if I didn't like the designs like I do, I still would be glad and greatful to see them rise adding for the sake of adding density and the fact that there are two buildings each 800 and 900 feet tall being added to Chicago's great and continually growing skyline... Also, it's great that they are located where they are expanding the skyline southward and will really make a presence!!!

This complex will urge even more development of this height in this area. When flying into Chicago from the east or west 5 years from now, the skyline will seem twice as big, it will look so much different and so much more dense!!! By then there will probably be a number of other projects in the works as well.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
You did it my man.

This will change alot of views for alot of out of towners enjoying our 2/3 attempt at a midwest version of CP NYC.

Still a long way to go and a lot of track to cover, but if the density coming demands it, it will happen and just in tme for 2016.

BTW the Columbian looks like an older cousin to these new upstarts, which is funny because alot of people bemoand that the Colombian was all by its lonesome.

Things Change around here and latley most for the better.
Umm wouldn't be 3/4..since CP has essentially 4 walls and GP has 3

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I agree..this is a good point...with such imposing height right at GP edge ther e is little impetus to grow behind them

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
Umm wouldn't be 3/4..since CP has essentially 4 walls and GP has 3
Touché but I was giving CP a little more credit for its older and more established build up around the park circa 50 years before we are even getting there.

I would say any fractions could be debated 1/8th more or less or we could explore even more difficult math if we have the right data points.

The point is that this will be at best a 270 degree smaller version of what NYC has one long ago.

No insult but we have the forever free and clear crowd to keep it this way for quite some time and I myself would not care for any more degrees of enclosure than we are already planning for the next generation.

So anymore comparisons to Central park is a moot point in my book.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive