HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 3:47 PM

Great shots, and an awesome thread.

Man, when I get my money right one day, im going to buy one of those condos as a second home. Especially if the prices for a 1 bedrm somehow get down to the 150k range (whats the avg cost for a downtown miami 1 bed condo right now anyway?). Thatd be sweet! Itd be worth it just for the location in such a cool city with great weather. I love Miami.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:26 PM
Ascension

Nice skyline and beautiful pictures but there is nothing of architectural worth in Miami's skyline. Just a sea of balconies.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Just to clarify, with the exception of Brickell Key which is a planned development approved over 25 years ago, 100% of the new buildings that went up in the Downtown area of Miami in the last 5 years or so have ground level retail (or at least the spaces where retail could go if they are able to lease them).
Last I checked (last week), a large number of them do not. Sure, there are places where retail could potentially go, but that could be said about any building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
You're not wrong, but it's not quite that bad either. Many of these are replacing parking and vacant lots, neither exactly pedestrian friendly. Many do have huge parking areas but most have retail facing at least one street. Part of the problem is that the retail is not coming as fast as some might like.

It could have been done better, but the pedestrian environment is many many times better than it used to be.
Right. I didn't mean to come across too negatively. I agree that it is getting better than it used to be, but I think it could have been done a lot better. It's just the plain and simple effect of building that many mega parking garages in what's supposed to be an urban area... you're going to basically get a suburban-feeling, car-dominated area. When you set the scale for an auto-centric environment, it makes it that much harder to develop a vibrant street life. That is exactly what we see in Miami's latest boom. With time, I feel it will improve, but it's a tough place to start from. I had high hopes (and still do) for the Brickell area to evolve from a high-speed thoroughfare into a vibrant city center, and I'm just disappointed with the results so far. But maybe I'm just being too critical early on and need to give it some more time.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Nice skyline and beautiful pictures but there is nothing of architectural worth in Miami's skyline. Just a sea of balconies.
You might change your mind when you see it all in person... it's pretty cool.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:47 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
Great shots, and an awesome thread.

Man, when I get my money right one day, im going to buy one of those condos as a second home. Especially if the prices for a 1 bedrm somehow get down to the 150k range (whats the avg cost for a downtown miami 1 bed condo right now anyway?). Thatd be sweet! Itd be worth it just for the location in such a cool city with great weather. I love Miami.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorlands View Post
What a coincidence, I was just in Miami for the Ultra Music Festival and stayed with some friends on the 56th floor of Marina Blue. I can't speak for the entire Miami condo market, but those 3 buildings across from Bicentennial park are no more than 15% occupied. At night, hardly a light on in the place. I have night pictures, but I don't want to hijack your thread, and they wouldn't be as nice as yours. Great thread.
Thanks for the compliment guys! Anyway, I bolded and oversized "second home" in Mr. Roboto's quote because this is Miami, and that is the nature of the beast here.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:08 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Last I checked (last week), a large number of them do not. Sure, there are places where retail could potentially go, but that could be said about any building.

Right. I didn't mean to come across too negatively. I agree that it is getting better than it used to be, but I think it could have been done a lot better. It's just the plain and simple effect of building that many mega parking garages in what's supposed to be an urban area... you're going to basically get a suburban-feeling, car-dominated area. When you set the scale for an auto-centric environment, it makes it that much harder to develop a vibrant street life. That is exactly what we see in Miami's latest boom. With time, I feel it will improve, but it's a tough place to start from. I had high hopes (and still do) for the Brickell area to evolve from a high-speed thoroughfare into a vibrant city center, and I'm just disappointed with the results so far. But maybe I'm just being too critical early on and need to give it some more time.
Have you been to Brickell Village lately? Having lived in South Florida for the past 25 years, I can't say I'm disappointed. Downtown Miami has a completely different feel to it when you walk through it. The area has changed radically and will continue to change exponentially as more people move downtown and into the Brickell area. I don't see it ever being as urban and vibrant at street level as you might like for it to be because again, it's Miami, that's just the way it is here, largely for the reason I quoted above. We are not New York! We are not Chicago! But we are much like L.A. for better or for worse. Probably for worse in your eyes, but as I said, it is the nature of the beast here.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:14 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Having studied skyscraper architecture and history as a hobby for well over 30 years, I will disagree with you on that basis. I have also noticed that many people who make remarks such as these have very little going on in their city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
Thanks for the compliment guys! Anyway, I bolded and oversized "second home" in Mr. Roboto's quote because this is Miami, and that is the nature of the beast here.
Sorry, I cant help it! I like the tropical weather, I like the nightlife, and I like the developing urbanity over there; I cant help but think of Miami as something of a tropical urban playground (although I know theres much more to the city than that), a getaway of sorts.

And see, some here in Chicago already call this city the Miami of Canada, so why not get a second home in the Miami of the USA as well? Anyways, I would need to make plenty of loot, so no immediate plans yet. Lets just say I like your city and have always had a good time there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:54 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Sorry, I cant help it! I like the tropical weather, I like the nightlife, and I like the developing urbanity over there; I cant help but think of Miami as something of a tropical urban playground (although I know theres much more to the city than that), a getaway of sorts.

And see, some here in Chicago already call this city the Miami of Canada, so why not get a second home in the Miami of the USA as well? Anyways, I would need to make plenty of loot, so no immediate plans yet. Lets just say I like your city and have always had a good time there.
That's interesting! Some people are calling Miami the Chicago of the South now, though I know we are far from it!

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 5:17 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:

Anyway, you might have missed my point it seems. What I was responding to wasn't really directed at you. I was using what you said as an example. What I was responding to is the fact that somebody pointed out that many of the condos (old or new) are empty and the streets aren't as vibrant (for such a big skyline.) And that is largely because South Florida has long been a second home to jetsetters from around the world. That is what I mean when I say this is Miami and that is the nature of the beast here, particularly with the "snow birds" who come down from New York and Canada during the fall and winter. That is why it will probably never feel as urban as many other cities and why the condos will never be that full and why it will probably always have somewhat of a transient, suburban feel to it. Many condo owners simply don't want to live in a large mixed-use building where there is a lot of commotion going on at the base because of pedestrian access to people who work and shop below, but who don't live there. That's just the way it is!

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 1:43 AM
Gatinois et fier

wow!

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 3:49 AM

It is somehow ridiculous that all berthing spaces for cruiser are empty. This doesn't happen often, right?

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 8:32 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

It does happen during the middle of the week when all the cruise ships are out at sea.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 8:41 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
You might change your mind when you see it all in person... it's pretty cool.
Yes, especially if you take the drive across the Rickenbacker Causeway coming from Key Biscayne. This is the view!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/...3cae1eb2_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3381/...23339691_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/...eedd3506_b.jpg

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 9:01 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 2:23 PM

Atlantis, you definitely have skills. Miami is a beautiful young city and that we cannot hide. BUT, now that summer is coming, I desperately want to RUN to the south pole. Nice pictures you have there.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 6:25 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO_0121 View Post
Atlantis, you definitely have skills. Miami is a beautiful young city and that we cannot hide. BUT, now that summer is coming, I desperately want to RUN to the south pole. Nice pictures you have there.
Thanks! And I don't particularly enjoy the summers here either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos