Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 7:40 PM

Cool pix. . .

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 9:59 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Cool pix. . .
Thanks, Tom! Good to hear from you! How did you guess the name of my camera?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks for bringing these here! I'm still requesting a skyline shot from the west instead of the water. I'm sure it's harder to do.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 12:29 AM
Datyon, Forbes death city

More killer shots of an exciting skyline!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:14 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
More killer shots of an exciting skyline!
Thank you! We have more planned if we can just keep interest alive through this economic crisis we are in. I'm doing the best I can to keep interest alive through my pictures, but could use some corporate help to launch my masterplan to increase tourism and revitalize the real estate market.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 2:18 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Thanks for bringing these here! I'm still requesting a skyline shot from the west instead of the water. I'm sure it's harder to do.
Yes, the problem there is getting a good vantage point. I tried getting up to the control tower of Miami International Airport, but of course, they said no way. I was able to do it several years ago when I did a temporary employment stint there, but no amount of name-dropping did it this time like being one of the photographic contributors to Arquitectonica as well as being published in The New Miami the Magic City. If I did another ultralight tour taking the route down to Dinner Key and back, I should be able to get some shots of the skyline from a southwest angle, but need to pay some bills before I book another ultralight flight.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 7:36 AM
Meh

So according to Emporis, there are nine 700 footers on tap for Miami. I believe that would put it ahead of both Houston and Los Angeles, with ten 700 footers. Amazing reality check there when I think of the days when the city only had one 700 footer and one 600 footer.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 8:23 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So according to Emporis, there are nine 700 footers on tap for Miami. I believe that would put it ahead of both Houston and Los Angeles, with ten 700 footers. Amazing reality check there when I think of the days when the city only had one 700 footer and one 600 footer.
The city had only one 700 footer and one 600 footer until the 21st century. Just look at the difference in that photo I posted taken from my South Beach balcony back in 1998. We actually have two supertall projects already approved. In addition to the two Empire World Towers mentioned by Emporis at 1,022 feet each, there is also One Bayfront Plaza that Emporis left off this time which was approved at 1,049 feet.

Even though several U.S cities still have buildings taller than the tallest we currently have here in Miami (Four Seasons at 789 feet), the sheer number of tall buildings that have made it to construction thus far has many statisticians already ranking Miami's skyline 3rd behind New York and Chicago with more buildings 400 feet tall and up than any other U.S. city except New York and Chicago, but we could still use a couple of supertalls and a few more buildings over 700 feet tall and up to have a really impressive skyline. With the worst U.S. economy since The Great Depression impacting the entire world though, who knows if or when we'll see them.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:16 PM

As always, terrific pics and a great informative thread. Keep those pictures coming!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 2:06 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

hot damn its like the American Vancouver, but warm! (and better music)

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 7:17 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
hot damn its like the American Vancouver, but warm! (and better music)
Thanks! I think Vancouver has the most beautiful natural setting of any city in North America. I went there once and took the Grouse Mountain tram. It was like something out of a storybook. I wish we had mountains like that here as a backdrop.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 1:47 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Almost looks like something out of the future! Fantastic shots! Be careful in that ultra-light around those squalls.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 1:52 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Apr 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 8:15 PM
Savor the Flavor

Amazing shots of a sultry, decadent metropolis.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 10:17 PM

Fun and fascinating tour!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 3:50 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Wow! Thanks guys!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 4:58 AM

Great shots! I love looking at all these views from above.

As much as I love Miami and appreciate all the new density in downtown and Brickell, it really hasn't created that much better of a pedestrian-oriented, human-scaled environment. Just about all of the new residential towers constructed in this boom over the past 5 years or so are built atop huge parking garages (many of them without ground-level retail). This does nothing to increase the pedestrian-friendly quality of the area. By doing that, it's just increasing the auto-centric domination of the area. I just wish Miami could feel a bit more like a city.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Great shots! I love looking at all these views from above.

As much as I love Miami and appreciate all the new density in downtown and Brickell, it really hasn't created that much better of a pedestrian-oriented, human-scaled environment. Just about all of the new residential towers constructed in this boom over the past 5 years or so are built atop huge parking garages (many of them without ground-level retail). This does nothing to increase the pedestrian-friendly quality of the area. By doing that, it's just increasing the auto-centric domination of the area. I just wish Miami could feel a bit more like a city.
Just to clarify, with the exception of Brickell Key which is a planned development approved over 25 years ago, 100% of the new buildings that went up in the Downtown area of Miami in the last 5 years or so have ground level retail (or at least the spaces where retail could go if they are able to lease them).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000
You're not wrong, but it's not quite that bad either. Many of these are replacing parking and vacant lots, neither exactly pedestrian friendly. Many do have huge parking areas but most have retail facing at least one street. Part of the problem is that the retail is not coming as fast as some might like.

It could have been done better, but the pedestrian environment is many many times better than it used to be.

Last edited by brickell; Apr 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:59 PM

Quote:
I toured this unit on the 56th floor last summer and decided this is where I want to live when I'm rich and famous.
What a coincidence, I was just in Miami for the Ultra Music Festival and stayed with some friends on the 56th floor of Marina Blue. I can't speak for the entire Miami condo market, but those 3 buildings across from Bicentennial park are no more than 15% occupied. At night, hardly a light on in the place. I have night pictures, but I don't want to hijack your thread, and they wouldn't be as nice as yours. Great thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos