HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The video showed a 35% spike already in Russian interests. Your article gave some vague statement about some "concern" though not that they aren't interested outright. I'm sure there is concern all around, as there should always be. You haven't shown a case for anything, it's best you stop wasting time with whatever point it is you seek.
Believe what you will, buddy. We just gotta wait and see.

Quote:
Another older aerial...

Brendan Bannister
Beautiful pic.. it seems construction has stalled 1 or 2 floors above the cantileaver.. hope it moves faster soon

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 11:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Believe what you will, buddy. We just gotta wait and see.
I already know what's going to happen. The holdouts can't and won't holdout forever. Manhattan is the same as it's always been, a safe bet for real estate. The bottom line is how the lenders feel about that, and if there is enough confidence to get Barnett that construction loan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I already know what's going to happen. The holdouts can't and won't holdout forever. Manhattan is the same as it's always been, a safe bet for real estate. The bottom line is how the lenders feel about that, and if there is enough confidence to get Barnett that construction loan.
Forgive me, I'd rather believe the real estate industry when they say things like "wait to see if interest turns to purchase" and "It’s hard to tell what it’s going to look like a year from now" over and over again.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:41 AM
Mr. Technology

Good shot of Columbus Circle and the LIC development all in one shot.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 4:47 AM

Very little progress in the last 3 months.

September 25th

December 10

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:45 PM
BANNED

^Thanks for the update and comparison. Even though it's a complicated cantilever, it appears as though this one's all but stalled.

At any rate, today is the shortest day of the year, which means longest shadows cast over Central Park. Let's say a little prayer for all those soon to be helplessly deprived of their vitamin D. Especially democrat Gale Brewer. Gosh she's pale.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I hope NY eventually sees the error in its ways and stop building thee skinny super tall boxes. Bring back the spires. At least the massing on this one is decent.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:02 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I hope NY eventually sees the error in its ways and stop building thee skinny super tall boxes. Bring back the spires. At least the massing on this one is decent.
Errors like One57, Verre, Steinway and 220 CPS?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The massing on this is horrid. As much as I look at the plans, it's still difficult in my mind to grasp the basic shape of this one. The classics, with their stepped back profiles and symetrical spires became icons. Meanwhile, there are relative few super skinny boxes (432 Park) that will help balance the skyline against the more bloated office supertalls - there will be more of those.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
The massing on this is horrid. As much as I look at the plans, it's still difficult in my mind to grasp the basic shape of this one. The classics, with their stepped back profiles and symetrical spires became icons. Meanwhile, there are relative few super skinny boxes (432 Park) that will help balance the skyline against the more bloated office supertalls - there will be more of those.
Maybe it's just me, but this one doesn't appear to be that thin, especially compared to 432 Park Avenue and 111 W 57th. That's one of the strengths of the design, if you ask me. The only downside is that it would look a hell of a lot better had it kept the spire.

As nice as it would be to see a massive, bulky, spired, iconic skyscraper - like a more modern Empire State Building or Chrysler Building - with the cost of land in New York City, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Errors like One57, Verre, Steinway and 220 CPS?
220 CPS and One57 aren't that tall and are also nice buildings. 111 W 57th and 432 Park Ave are totally out of harmony with their surroundings. They are tall for the sake of being tall. It's like NY developers are pulling a Dubai with building these tall garish towers. BTW, Verre = 53W53 and is also not that tall, is not a box and is mixed within the midtown skyline...most importantly, not an appendage along Central Park.

@ NYGuy, I agree. It is kinda hard to gauge how this will look.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
220 CPS and One57 aren't that tall and are also nice buildings. 111 W 57th and 432 Park Ave are totally out of harmony with their surroundings. They are tall for the sake of being tall. It's like NY developers are pulling a Dubai with building these tall garish towers. BTW, Verre = 53W53 and is also not that tall, is not a box and is mixed within the midtown skyline...most importantly, not an appendage along Central Park.

@ NYGuy, I agree. It is kinda hard to gauge how this will look.
111 W 57th will be a stunning building and every inch of height is warranted. I've never been a big fan of 432 Park, but it will look better as more super tall buildings rise. One57 is not a particularly nice building in my opinion...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:25 PM
Mr. Technology

I love the super tall skinny skyscrapers going up.
When more super skinnies rise, the skyline will balance and you will be pleased.
But if it bothers you so much, there are other cities for you to enjoy.

For me, I like it.
I like the balance.

When I was real young, I used to draw pictures of my New York City and in my drawings, I had a ton of super skinny skyscrapers that were 5,000 feet tall.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:14 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I think you must have looked at a different video. The clip was about a return of Russians to the luxury real estate market in Manhattan, not about anyone being near the president elect to conduct business. It's not hard at all to differentiate that from one's own political beliefs, which do not belong in the thread.
Thanks for not deleting my post.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 9:01 PM

I really hated 432 Park Avenue from the renderings, but it doesn't bother me in real life. I initially hated 111 W 57th Street, so we'll see when it actually gets built. One57 is mostly a good building, but I'm not a fan of the west facade and how that glass looks.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 5:31 AM

Quote:
As nice as it would be to see a massive, bulky, spired, iconic skyscraper - like a more modern Empire State Building or Chrysler Building - with the cost of land in New York City, I don't see that happening any time soon. - Mr Saturn64
It's happening now . .
at One Vanderbilt . . also at 30 Hudson Yards . .

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 10:32 AM

Hi people!

There is the progress in the construction during the months of September and October of the year 2016.

September 2016

Video Link

October 2016

Video Link

Thank you!!!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 8:50 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Taken on 12/23/16

Taken on 12/28/16

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:31 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Photos from October visit

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: walpole

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive