HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 5:53 PM

I see this a slightly different way. If RED caves and the FAA continues its domination over DT phoenix then this could be seen as an inspiration to push up some heights in other parts of DT. If everything south of Chase must be short, then all the new (non OCPE or Jet) developement in north DT might be taller. We simply aren't getting enough bang for our buck in terms of office square footage and residences south of Chase SoCa. True there is plenty of space for trendy cafes, funky galleries, and hip lounges amongst the empty lots in Copper Square but relatively few spaces for 500+ footers. Perhaps north of OCPE and south of McDowell will become the tallest portion of our central corridor. The skyline will crest in that now empty portion and then slope down over Chase and City Scape to the warehouse district that will probably be capped at 100'. Between DT and Mid-town it might be a mountain range like effect up to Camelback. This could be the best possible look now that I tihnk of it.

Last edited by Phxbyrd211; Jun 29, 2008 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 6:04 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^The problem with all that is as you go North along Central, there are fewer dirt lots. As you go east or west of Central (south of the I-10) there are neighborhoods (Roosevelt and Evans Churchill) that perhaps a 500+ foot tower doesn't really fit into.

I think the most likely place we'll see really tall stuff is on some of the lots/surface parking lots along West Van Buren.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 6:45 PM

I was thinking about the northern part of the OCPE lot, the Ramada lot, the lot south of the radio station and the dirt lot west of the YMCA for starters. Arizona Center could certainly build one or two towers above 480'. I think the Pappas site is north of Chase and the copper point development could always be revived in the future. I think the hotel project on the east side of 7th St qualifies. Call me crazy but I think the central transit station could one day house a tower. This kind of thing is done all the time in NY, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago. The first two floors and below ground floors could still be used for transit while a tower sits above.

To the north I was under the impression that a tower could be added south of the Viad Center and I believe there are numerous lots around the library and Deck Park where slim towers could be built. Even if some parking or small structures are lost they would certainly be the best thing to ever happen to both the park and library. I've also often wondered if channel 12 would ever want to become developers and build a sky scrapper on their property. I have no idea if the spagetti factory would get HP protection or not.

I think demand might push development to at least half these lots as SoCha fills up.

Last edited by Phxbyrd211; Nov 16, 2007 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:42 PM
Closed account

im not getting to excited. Remember, only 1 of 3 phases of the Collier Center was ever built. I'm just gonna wait and let it unfold. This way i won't get my hopes up and be disappointed when they don't build the cityscape as tall as we hope.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxbyrd211 View Post
I was thinking about the northern part of the OCPE lot, the Ramada lot, the lot south of the radio station and the dirt lot west of the YMCA for starters. Arizona Center could certainly build one or two towers above 480'. I think the Pappas site is north of Chase and the copper point development could always be revived in the future. I think the hotel project on the east side of 7th St qualifies. Call me crazy but I think the central transit station could one day house a tower. This kind of thing done all the time in NY, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago. The first two floors and below ground floors could still be used for transit while a tower sits above.

To the north I was under the impression that a tower could be added south of the Viad Center and I believe there are numerous lots around the library and Deck Park where slim towers could be built. Even if some parking or small structures are lost they would certainly be the best thing to ever happen to both the park and library. I've also often wondered if channel 12 would ever want to become developers and build a sky scrapper on their property. I have no idea if the spagetti factory would get HP protection or not.

I think demand might push development to at least half these lots as SoCha fills up.
WTF is SoCha? what an ugly name for ANY district

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:00 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
WTF is SoCha? what an ugly name for ANY district
He just made it up. He's referring to "South of Chase Tower", its terrible, but we were just letting him go on with it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:30 PM

I'm not getting excited about the name or suggesting that it become identified with any district, but must I really keep typing out "south of Chase Tower" over and over again? It was basically a joke but honestly the FAA and probably Mayor Gordon are drawing a line in the sand saying everything south of Chase Tower must be shorter than said building. I disagree but if that's going to be a reality then let's adapt and start to build taller to the north. Ok?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
He just made it up. He's referring to "South of Chase Tower", its terrible, but we were just letting him go on with it.
lol, I figured as much, but didn't think it seemed appropriate to refer to a corporate name for a district as it will probably change AGAIN one day

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 10:55 PM

any word on what's going on?? they doing any work at all?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:23 AM

Nope, sure aren't. I don't expect anything will take place any sooner then Nov. 27th since that is when the variance meeting is. After that, maybe things will start moving...maybe. They barely have any permits in place for this thing...when those start to come in, that will be a better indicator of things actually moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:09 AM

I drove by the site today and to my surprise there were actually a few workers on site and some new equipment. My best guess is that they are doing utility work.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:49 PM

November 27th.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 12:52 AM

looks like something is happening... they must have gotten the variance got approved??

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:41 AM

Looks like they got their entry rock, which is required for several reasons. Makes me think trucks are going to be entering and exiting more frequently now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 3:05 AM

What exactly was the variance for??

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 3:09 AM

SEC of Central Avenue and Washington Street - Block 22

1) Variance to reduce the parking stall width in an underground parking garage to 8.5 x 18 feet. 9.5 x 18 feet required. 2) Variance to decrease the building setback requirements along all street frontages for the 1st and 2nd stories to a minimum of 10 feet from the curb. 20 feet setback from the curb required. 3) Variance to reduce the shade element width along all street frontages to 6 feet. Where shade elements are provided, minimum 12 feet width required.

SEC of 1st Avenue and Washington Street - Block 77

1) Variance to allow off-site maneuvering. On-site maneuvering required. 2) Variance to decrease the building setback requirements along all street frontages for the first and second stories to a minimum of 10 feet from the curb. 20 feet setback from the curb required. 3) Variance to reduce the shade element width along all street frontages to 6 feet. Where shade elements are provided, minimum 12 feet width required. 4) Variance to reduce minimum percentage of building frontage within 15 feet of the front property line along Central Avenue, 1st Avenue, and Washington Street to 40%. Minimum 60% required.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 11:18 PM

The stipulation is 18 months for a building permit? Christ, they don't they just give them 10 years!

Approved/ Stips

Location: SEC of Central Avenue and Washington Street - Block 22

Proposal: 1) Variance to reduce the parking stall width in an underground parking garage to 8.5 x 18 feet. 9.5 x 18 feet required. 2) Variance to decrease the building setback requirements along all street frontages for the 1st and 2nd stories to a minimum of 10 feet from the curb. 20 feet setback from the curb required. 3) Variance to reduce the shade element width along all street frontages to 6 feet. Where shade elements are provided, minimum 12 feet width required.

STIPULATIONS:

1) General conformance to site plan as submitted.

2) 18 months to apply for building permit.

Approved/ Stips

Proposal: 1) Variance to allow off-site maneuvering. On-site maneuvering required. 2) Variance to decrease the building setback requirements along all street frontages for the first and second stories to a minimum of 10 feet from the curb. 20 feet setback from the curb required. 3) Variance to reduce the shade element width along all street frontages to 6 feet. Where shade elements are provided, minimum 12 feet width required. 4) Variance to reduce minimum percentage of building frontage within 15 feet of the front property line along Central Avenue, 1st Avenue, and Washington Street to 40%. Minimum 60% required.

STIPULATIONS:

1) General conformance to site plan as submitted.

2) 18 months to apply for building permit.

3) The minimum building frontage within 15’ of the front property line along 1st Avenue shall not exceed 38%.

Last edited by HX_Guy; Nov 28, 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 11:28 PM
Dbacks baby!

good ....now go build the dang thing already

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:33 PM
Skyriser

I am told by somebody in the Parks Department that Patriots Square will close December 7th.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 7:18 PM

just in time for Christmas, thanks city of phoenix dont throw a farwell party or anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest