HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

256 Rideau Street Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 12:49 AM

Oh good grief...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Oh good grief...

Thanks for posting the history of that corner! I tried in vain to find a picture of the "rideau mews". Its sad to see our historical buildings gone. There is a facebook group called Lost Ottawa that posts alot of old photos of the city and there is no shortage of lost great architecture in this city.

https://www.facebook.com/LostOttawa/?fref=ts

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 4:12 PM

I say bring back the convent -- what a nice building!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:49 AM
National Capital Region

Phoenix sold this site to Textbook for $11 million
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...2015_Sales.pdf

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:53 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Funny how Phoenix seems to be more involved in flipping land instead of development when it comes to high rise potential sites. Previous history shows them taking a loss, not sure about this one though.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:33 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Committee approves pair of 26-storey, car-free towers in ByWard Market

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 26, 2016 | Last Updated: April 26, 2016 8:35 PM EDT

The city’s planning committee has approved a car-free development in the ByWard Market.

Textbook Student Suites wants to build two, 26-storey towers at 256 Rideau St. and 211 Besserer St., to be joined by a three-storey podium, to create 275 units intended for students. There would also be a 529-square metre retail space on the ground floor.

The proposed development required a zoning bylaw in order to give the company permission to reduce the number of required parking spaces from 164 to 14, all of which would be designated as visitor spaces.

Speaking in favour of the company’s application, the city’s planning department said the proposal is in keeping with guidelines to encourage development around transit hubs. The buildings would be about 400 metres from the entrance to the future Rideau LRT station.

“If you’re not going to do it here, where are you going to do (it)?,” asked planning committee chairwoman Jan Harder.

Although Action Sandy Hill and the Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area both raised concerns about the reduced parking requirement, city staff say there’s also ample on-street parking to accommodate the influx of new residents.

The planning department is recommending that a notice be added to the property’s title to indicate that all of the parking must remain for visitors only and that access to the city’s on-street monthly parking permits cannot be guaranteed.

Council will vote on the project on May 11. If all goes well, the company says construction could begin in September.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-byward-market

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Committee approves pair of 26-storey, car-free towers in ByWard Market

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 26, 2016 | Last Updated: April 26, 2016 8:35 PM EDT

The city’s planning committee has approved a car-free development in the ByWard Market.

Textbook Student Suites wants to build two, 26-storey towers at 256 Rideau St. and 211 Besserer St., to be joined by a three-storey podium, to create 275 units intended for students. There would also be a 529-square metre retail space on the ground floor.

The proposed development required a zoning bylaw in order to give the company permission to reduce the number of required parking spaces from 164 to 14, all of which would be designated as visitor spaces.

Speaking in favour of the company’s application, the city’s planning department said the proposal is in keeping with guidelines to encourage development around transit hubs. The buildings would be about 400 metres from the entrance to the future Rideau LRT station.

“If you’re not going to do it here, where are you going to do (it)?,” asked planning committee chairwoman Jan Harder.

Although Action Sandy Hill and the Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area both raised concerns about the reduced parking requirement, city staff say there’s also ample on-street parking to accommodate the influx of new residents.

The planning department is recommending that a notice be added to the property’s title to indicate that all of the parking must remain for visitors only and that access to the city’s on-street monthly parking permits cannot be guaranteed.

Council will vote on the project on May 11. If all goes well, the company says construction could begin in September.

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

If, one day, in a decade, or two decades, or so on, someone decided to turn this into a hotel instead of student residence due to a change in market that made student residence look different to where we are at today, this building is really going to have a hard time being of any value. Oh well...not my problem I guess.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 12:37 PM

"car-free", no parking, ...
But still no subway network, inadequate public transit, ...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Committee approves pair of 26-storey, car-free towers in ByWard Market

Although Action Sandy Hill and the Downtown Rideau Business Improvement Area both raised concerns about the reduced parking requirement...

Holy shit, Action Sandy Hill is like a cartoon character version of a community association. They'd complain if there's parking because it would add to conjestion. Apparently they'll also complain if there's no parking.

Now, that said, I'm not a fan of this development because of the design and the lot line-to-lot line blank tower of walls but at least this is legit TOD, which this city needs a lot more of.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:00 PM

Problematic at best. Did the builder justify the lack of parking or is it mainly a cost saving measure so they don't need to dig? I'm all for transit, but the reality on the ground could get messy. Rick Chiarelli proposes a compromise with more than 14 parking spaces but less than the normally required number. I'd be on board with that.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestafanos View Post
If, one day, in a decade, or two decades, or so on, someone decided to turn this into a hotel instead of student residence due to a change in market that made student residence look different to where we are at today, this building is really going to have a hard time being of any value. Oh well...not my problem I guess.
Correct. Not your problem.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Holy shit, Action Sandy Hill is like a cartoon character version of a community association.
All community associations are.

Quote:
Now, that said, I'm not a fan of this development because of the design and the lot line-to-lot line blank tower of walls but at least this is legit TOD, which this city needs a lot more of.
What is the problem with lot-line-to-lot-line construction?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
That whole section of Rideau Street is a wright-off. No way of saving it, so might as well continue the line of 300 foot walls.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:08 PM

The great wall of Rideau continues!!!

In other news, if it is student residences (which would make sense given the short distance to OttawaU, Rideau and the Market) then why would they need to include parking? I don't know any student living on campus that have a car. You either live on campus and don't have a car OR the students that do have a car and drive live off campus (usually in places like Orleans, Kanata, South Keys, etc... How many parking spots will the two Envie towers have in Little Italy?

I don't see the need for 2 or 3 levels of underground parking... There are public lots nearby.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
All community associations are.

What is the problem with lot-line-to-lot-line construction?
Sure, many are to a certain extent but I think Sandy Hill's community association is almost like a parody.

There's nothing wrong with lot line-to-lot line construction that a dramatic rise in sea levels couldn't fix

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:40 AM

I agree with OTSkyline... When I lived in residence 9 years ago, I didn't know a single person with a car. Students at uOttawa don't live in Ottawa, they live exclusively in the campus/market area. That's just how it is.

As for the idea that this wont always be a student residence and could become a hotel someday? The university's population is constantly growing and there isn't even enough residence space for first year students. Residences aren't becoming hotels, hotels are becoming residences (see: the lot beside this one).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:43 AM

I can't wait until Claridge builds those three 27 story towers across the street. We can put laser turrets on the buildings and put a zipline down Rideau Street with little carriages that look like x-wings and call the attraction the 'Rideau Street Death Star Trench Run'.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:21 PM

mykl wrote

Quote:
The university's population is constantly growing and there isn't even enough residence space for first year students.
The uOttawa population will not grow in the next couple of decades nearly as fast as it did in the last couple. A lid has been put on it for the time being.

The university is claiming that it can now handle all the first year students that want to be in residence--for now. I assume that the many local first year students who go there do not need or want residence space.

There is a new 3P residence opening on Mann Avenue next to the Minto Sport Complex in the fall. It is being offered to students in second year and above who want to live in residence. They are the universities next target group.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:49 PM

They converted a prison into hostel a couple of blocks from there. Repurposing student residence shouldn't be that hard.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I can't wait until Claridge builds those three 27 story towers across the street. We can put laser turrets on the buildings and put a zipline down Rideau Street with little carriages that look like x-wings and call the attraction the 'Rideau Street Death Star Trench Run'.
lol... thats quite the vision ....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa