HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 8:46 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
And yet Collen Hardwick still has a problem with this project.

I've never seen anyone more negative to just about everything.

She truly is a malignant presence on council and just a generally unpleasant person.
i wonder if it has to do with her growing up in Vancouver politics? i just read some of her background and that could be a part of it.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 9:36 PM

She voted for the Report though. It passed unanimously. Her questions were just a little oddly position, or worded, and the tone was very combative when I was listening.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 10:40 PM

The first I1-C rezoning has been submitted by Strand for 360 W2nd. They already have an approved 3 FSR building, but hadn't started construction. If their rezoning is approved they can design up to 6 FSR and 150 ft high, with a third of the space having to be industrial (i.e. not general office uses).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 11:02 PM

Didn't the City concoct some new definition of "industrial" so that the tech industry could set up office space that fit into the Mt. Pleasant Industrial zone?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 11:38 PM

Yes, 'digital manufacturing'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The first I1-C rezoning has been submitted by Strand for 360 W2nd. They already have an approved 3 FSR building, but hadn't started construction. If their rezoning is approved they can design up to 6 FSR and 150 ft high, with a third of the space having to be industrial (i.e. not general office uses).
Figured they would be the first to jump on this with their existing project. Hopefully they keep the design and just scale it, as I thought it was rather nice.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:07 AM

I hope Engineering makes them do a few needed changes/upgrades to 3rd and Alberta's intersection.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 7:50 PM

Arts Umbrella has announced April 10 as the opening date for their new Granville Island centre (half of the old Emily Carr campus):

Arts Umbrella announces April 10 opening of new arts education centre on Granville Island
by Steve Newton on March 18th, 2021

Arts Umbrella has announced that it will open a new 50,000-square-foot facility dedicated to children and youth arts education on April 10.

The state-of-the-art building will house six dance studios, four theatre, music and film studios, 10 art and design studios, a 132-seat theatre, a public exhibition space, and a dedicated workshop area.

“As Canada’s leading non-profit arts education organization for young people," says Arts Umbrella CEO Paul Laroque in a press release, "we are inspired to build on the legacy that Arts Umbrella has earned over the last four decades... Now, we have room to support and inspire more young people to seek wonder through the arts.”..

https://www.straight.com/arts/arts-u...anville-island

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 8:07 PM

Came across this by chance today. Has it been mentioned previously?

https://www.crsgroup.ca/project/8th-cambie-vancouver/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Came across this by chance today. Has it been mentioned previously?

https://www.crsgroup.ca/project/8th-cambie-vancouver/
Nice. Makes sense given that single story BCL. RIP free parking.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:07 PM

Rexall Drugs on the backdoor of the London Drugs flagship and a Save-on-Foods Pharmacy across the street. That's a bit gutsy.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 10:44 PM

3701 W Broadway (DP-2020-00888) - UDP

Quote:
More Than A Cold Brute, Urban Design Panel Expects A Warm Response For Landmark Rental Homes

3701 W Broadway (DP-2020-00888)
It’s rare for the Urban Design Panel to run ahead of schedule, let alone by 15 minutes, so I imagine this applicant team was quite surprised when they were told to log in ASAP. The only thing more uncommon, at least according to Hannah and I’s friends, would be finding a rental home in our city’s western neighbourhoods. However, that doesn’t mean submissions under the Moderate Income Rental Housing Pilot Program are expedited, as this review is the project’s second.

While city council approved this building’s height, shape, and FSR last year, staff explained the finer aspects remained open to debate, as they’ve changed significantly due to public feedback. Still, the most noticeable, a shift from a rust-coloured grid to look more in line with the area, failed to prevent over 200 pieces of opposition. The response to these sensitivities hasn’t stopped because this development application was submitted, but it may be heading in the wrong direction.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2021/0...-rental-homes/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 2:51 AM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 7:05 AM

Victoria & 40th

New social housing, Vancity branch planned at Victoria Drive & East 40th
https://www.urbanyvr.com/new-vancity...=ReviveOldPost

Perspective – View from E. 40th Ave. Credit: HCMA Architecture + Design

5590 Victoria Dr. rezoning context. Credit: HCMA Architecture + Design

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Well that's an unfortunate downgrade. Not sure how it doesn't make the scale appear even more imposing

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 5:30 PM

Coopers' Park dog off-leash area renewal

Quote:
The Vancouver Park Board is planning a full renewal of the dog off-leash area (OLA) in Coopers’ Park and we want your input to help shape the design!

In addition to a full renewal of the Coopers’ Park OLA other improvements are coming to Coopers’ Park including a new washroom, a new fitness area, and a full renewal of the playground under the Cambie St. Bridge.
That would be the very expensive toilet that people have been making a fuss about...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Coopers' Park dog off-leash area renewal

That would be the very expensive toilet that people have been making a fuss about...
Yeah, costs more than the hard costs to build a tidy little house.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 7:04 PM

I assume this price included the usually high City contingency?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 10:59 PM

8460 Ash St and 8495 Cambie St (Ashley Mar Co-op Site) - UDP

Quote:
Ashley-Mar Co-op Overcomes A Rough Landing With A Rental Housing Revolution

8460 Ash St and 8495 Cambie St (Ashley Mar Co-op Site)
In the time that’s passed since Hannah and I last attended an event about the future of the Ashley Mar Co-op, an adorable newborn would be well into their terrible twos. This vision has grown too, as while the co-op’s future home remains 15 floors tall, the two buildings that will pay for it have evolved several times. So far that hasn’t been controversial, however the Urban Design Panel were surprised this pair now reach 27 and 30 floors.

City staff explained that wasn’t done in a one-off manner, and that under the Marine Landing Review they’ll see something similar later in April with the redevelopment of the Denny’s to the west. That policy still has to be approved by city council, but last year they signed off on the issues report that allows for this to be explored. That came with a condition, as these forms now offer rental housing instead of home ownership.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2021/0...ng-revolution/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 1:10 AM

Now that's a realistic trellis for vines!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:25 PM

546 W 13th Ave - UDP

Quote:
A Ribbon Winning Performance Fails To Crack Vancouver’s Royal Glass Ceiling
546 W 13th Ave

It’s hard to complain about being able to work from home when others are on the front lines of the pandemic, out of work, or don’t even have a home. Yet, I think we can all sympathize with one city staff member’s fear that their kids would burst into their bedroom/office, and disrupt this Urban Design Panel review. Had that happened, Hannah would have likely attended this meeting instead of me, as her prospective is arguably more valuable than mine.

That’s because these homes for women, and families are being designed by an all women team. Of course, they’re still governed by rules put in place by mostly men from decades past, so it’s no wonder it’s trapped beneath a metaphorical glass ceiling caused by the Queen Elizabeth Park view cone. City staff were blunt that only the Broadway Plan could possibly ease that hard limit, and were more concerned whether it made this building too thick to fit in.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2021/0...glass-ceiling/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver