HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
What sort of arrangement are typical between the Co-op and the developer in such cases? The Co-op is a legal entity, right? So do they sell the property to the developer, who takes the financial risk to build, then repays the purchase price over decades with income from the two rental towers? Do they then sell back the co-op tower to the co-op entity at the same (pro-rated) price they bought it for?

Or does the co-op lead all aspects of the development, but hires the developer as a contractor, thereby taking the financial risk themselves and keeping all the profit?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
City council approves new major 438-room hotel on Broadway next to VGH
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/878-...hotel-approved
This is indeed badly needed. So few hotel rooms close to VGH for out of towners. The Holiday Inn is too far for people pending surgeries. I hope the new hotel will offer special rate of out o towners waiting for surgery.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 9:57 PM

All the downtown hotels offer special rates for hospital patients.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:54 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I missed the link to the new hotel the first time around. It'll be a much-needed addition for Broadway, and it should fit in, architecturally.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:40 PM

Feb 25 Pre-Appllication Public Open House for a 13-storey office / retail building rezoning at Ontario & Broadway (2520 Ontario Street).
- 150 feet tall @ 7.91 FSR

C-3A has very flexible conditional relaxations without rezoning at Fir & 7th residential development gained (11-storeys @ I think 5.4 FSR?) on a smaller site.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Feb 25 Pre-Appllication Public Open House for a 13-storey office / retail building rezoning at Ontario & Broadway (2520 Ontario Street).

C-3A has very flexible conditional relaxations without rezoning at Fir & 7th residential development gained (11-storeys @ I think 5.4 FSR?) on a smaller site.
Glad to see FSR’s of ~8 are becoming more popular down Broadway. Gives an indicator of what’s to come when the plan is completed. Unfortunately the Fir development wasn’t very ambitious though 11 is a lot considering how small the site is.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:22 AM

Not really height-wise or FSR as it's largely conforming within the current zoning, from what I can see.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Not really height-wise or FSR as it's largely conforming within the current zoning, from what I can see.
I’ve been told 4.5 FSR max and 4 storeys max for C-3A a few years ago. Isn’t that the current zoning before all the new programs?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:

The project at Fir and 7th Ave. (1616 West 7th Ave.) also had a heritage density transfer, and a density bonus from providing a cultural amenity.

That said, I'm glad to get a second confirmation of this event, as I wasn't sure if I misheard the first person who mentioned it to us.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:45 AM

2520 Ontario is a rezoning application. That height/density isn't permitted in C-3A even with relaxations.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:46 AM

Not sure the City prescribes a "Conditional" maximum and minimum prior to application in a District Schedule. Can't remember what the most recent Cambie St developments were or if they were on DP apps. It's been a while.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
What sort of arrangement are typical between the Co-op and the developer in such cases? The Co-op is a legal entity, right? So do they sell the property to the developer, who takes the financial risk to build, then repays the purchase price over decades with income from the two rental towers? Do they then sell back the co-op tower to the co-op entity at the same (pro-rated) price they bought it for?

Or does the co-op lead all aspects of the development, but hires the developer as a contractor, thereby taking the financial risk themselves and keeping all the profit?
Asking again...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Asking again...
I'm guessing nobody responded to how the Ashley Mar Co-op / Intracorp project works, because it seems to be the first example of a developer and co-op teaming up. In other examples ownership co-ops have sold to developers, or arranged their own redevelopment, but this looks like the first hybrid. It sound very complicated in this article, but the Co-op isn't the lead developer, although as landowner they have some control on the whole thing. The article says they'll have a small mortgage to cover some of the cost of the replacement co-op building, so perhaps the site gets subdivided, with Intracorp owning the market rental buildings. That isn't explained, but once it gets to a public hearing the policy report may include those details.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
2520 Ontario is a rezoning application. That height/density isn't permitted in C-3A even with relaxations.
Looks to be going ahead as a rezoning proposal under the Metro Core policy, which supports intensified development for office in the Uptown/Central Broadway area. Same policy that landed the two office buildings under construction at 425 W 6th and 521 W 8th.

To Misher, I wouldn't consider this an indication of where the Broadway Plan policy is headed. Just reflective of whats on the books currently.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerminalCity View Post
Looks to be going ahead as a rezoning proposal under the Metro Core policy, which supports intensified development for office in the Uptown/Central Broadway area. Same policy that landed the two office buildings under construction at 425 W 6th and 521 W 8th.

To Misher, I wouldn't consider this an indication of where the Broadway Plan policy is headed. Just reflective of whats on the books currently.
One interesting aspect is that this location would, as a C3-A project, allow residential units on the upper floors. It's outside the Oak to Yukon section of Broadway which only allows commercial development. It's good to see higher density employment space proposed where residential might have been expected. (The Mercedes, now temporary Pattison garage further west is another example where apparently an office proposal was being contemplated).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Exactly. It doesn't seem like much of an increase for the hassle prior to the area Plan rather than engage in dialogue with Staff prior to the Plan release and just go through a DP.

FF, yeah on second look that Fir development for a 10% density increase. Although the height would be similar. My concern is what's the community benefit going to be as the Plan is in process under a rezoning? Relaxations under the current zoning would maybe help bring about a direct community cultural amenity which this area really needs, so skirting that straight DP and the Plan process I'd like to see something similar even for an increase in their height from what is proposed.

My understanding was that the Metro Core Land Use Plan was a "directions report" still and a formal plan is currently in process. I'll be curious to see what setbacks the City enforces in a more residential-orientated area as well in a reduction of FSR, and what floorplate size they will hold onto for leasing / their proforma.

Last edited by GenWhy?; Feb 12, 2020 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:54 PM

Was the Oak & Broadway limited in height by the hospital flight path? And this one from QE Park? Might explain a few things. This might be on the corner of the 3.2.4(A) view cone.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:37 PM

Not exaggerating here, but here's another proof that Vancouver stymies its own growth:

Quote:
New hotels in the works could help ease Vancouver room crunch
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/v...ver-bc-2088495

Glimmers of hope are starting to appear for those who fear Vancouver’s steady loss of hotel rooms is discouraging visitors by pushing up room rates and restricting availability.

Property owners are in various stages of developing several new hotels, even as city bylaws stymie some entrepreneurs keen to open hotels.

New hotels are important to the tourism sector, and established ones keep closing. The 372-room Four Seasons Hotel attached to Pacific Centre, for example, closed late last month after 44 years in business.

City of Vancouver statistics show that the city in mid-2018 had 13,925 hotel rooms, or 1,105 fewer than it did a decade ago. The lost rooms include the 626 suites in the former Empire Landmark and Coast Plaza Stanley Park hotels.

The good news is that on Jan. 30 Vancouver city council unanimously approved Arno Matis Architecture’s application to build a 438-room hotel on a Dingye Property Group-owned site in the 800-block of West Broadway near the future Fairview-VGH station on the Millennium Line extension.

But there’s a long consultation process ahead, and principal Arno Matis said he would not hazard a guess for how soon shovels could be in the ground.

Over at Cadillac Fairview, western Canadian director, Tom Knoepfel, told Business in Vancouver that his company plans to renovate the former Four Seasons hotel space and make way for a “world-leading, luxury lifestyle brand” that his company has yet to select.

He added that Cadillac Fairview is negotiating with potential tenants.

Cadillac Fairview could create its own brand and run the hotel itself, but Knoepfel said the future operator “will likely be a third party.”

Robert Macdonald, who owns the St. Regis Hotel Vancouver, has indicated to Cadillac Fairview that he would like to build a St. Regis hotel in the former Four Seasons hotel space, but he told BIV that he has not heard back.

St. Regis is a top-tier brand that Marriott International Inc. operates worldwide, except in Metro Vancouver. Macdonald owns the brand in this region because his independent St. Regis hotel has been in business at the corner of Seymour and Dunsmuir streets for the past 107 years.

“We had a legal tussle on that,” he said. “They lost. I won. So I now own the right to use the St. Regis brand for the whole Lower Mainland. I gave up to them the rights to use the brand outside the Lower Mainland [in B.C.]. That’s how we settled that. They paid me.”

Eventually, Macdonald would like to operate up to six St. Regis hotels in the Lower Mainland, possibly with locations in Burnaby and Richmond. He said he knows people at Marriott and would probably try to partner with its St. Regis operation and link with that chain’s reservation system.

Holborn Group is in the early stages of developing a tower on its Seymour Street site where there is a parkade that connects via a sky bridge to the Hudson’s Bay Co. department store.

That site is across the street and half a block away from Macdonald’s St. Regis hotel, and Macdonald said that he thinks it would be a great spot for a new luxury St. Regis hotel.

Holborn CEO Joo Kim Tiah told BIV that his company in December submitted a letter of inquiry to the City of Vancouver to develop the site.

“Everything is very preliminary at this point in time, and there will be a lot of consultation with the city and public prior to us being able to officially submit for a rezoning for the site,” he said.

If Macdonald builds a new St. Regis hotel in the Bay parkade site, he said he might keep his current St. Regis hotel where it is as an annex, given that it is so close.

While these new projects are slated to raise the number of hotel rooms in the city, some entrepreneurs are finding city bylaws are obstacles.

Sharon Cheung, who owns the Panda Pod Hotel in Richmond, wants to open a hotel in Vancouver, but she told BIV that city bylaws prohibit hotels like hers.

Her hotel has 64 sleeping pods fitted with mattresses, small tables that fold out of the walls and charging stations for laptops and phones.

She said Vancouver’s hotel bylaw essentially shuts out her business model because it requires all hotel rooms to have windows and furniture. Her pods, which are the width and length of a mattress, would also be deemed too small, she said.
This city is so inflexible that it is constantly acting like a prick and discourages innovation and development.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:17 PM

Maybe Sharon needs to talk to Staff? Display her case?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe Sharon needs to talk to Staff? Display her case?
Can you imagine how bad the public feedback would be at the consultations? I know because I suggested windowless rooms with TVs instead in this forum before and got a lot of strong negative criticism. Also being in Richmond they likely deal with a lot less problem customers.

The rates are great though. I'd honestly prefer $50 a night in a pod ($80 for 2 pods) than a hostel, there's the privacy and security aspect plus its across the street from Richmond centre. They should have one of these in the airport. The pods do look awful compared to the luxurious ones you get in asia though.

Look at what you get in India:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver