HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:36 PM

^I wonder if they're redoing the canopy or something along that line.

Or maybe a single tenant going in? Maybe the White Spot will make it back?

If not, here's an idea. Why not open a White Spot in the City Centre mall? I'm sure the rents would be reasonable there, and they sure as heck have a hefty vacancy problem there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:43 PM

Etro (the contractor on that site) is an interior contractor mainly. This is almost certainly a tenant fit out. They're pretty detail oriented jobs so it can take longer would be expected to do.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:46 PM

I thought someone mentioned it was a high end Chinese restaurant that is moving in (renders in the windows).

I'm curious about the framework (that look like mullions) installed in front of the vent grilles and window walls above the canopy.
I suspect that some sort of unique façade finish (wooden slats, lattice, fretwork ?) will be installed on the frame.
Whatever it is, if the grilles are used for venting, then they need to allow air flow (i.e. probably not a backlit lighting feature).

PS - at the other end of the building Orange Theory Fitness has these orange lights - is it always like that (ie hence the name)?
Wouldn't that give you a headache during your workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
^I wonder if they're redoing the canopy or something along that line.

Or maybe a single tenant going in? Maybe the White Spot will make it back?

If not, here's an idea. Why not open a White Spot in the City Centre mall? I'm sure the rents would be reasonable there, and they sure as heck have a hefty vacancy problem there.
Vacancy problem?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Vacancy problem?
The mall? Uh, yeah! The majority of what retail there is has to be either month-to-month or percent rent only. They've got a massive vacancy problem in the mall. Always has. It never should have been built.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:41 PM

But haven't you heard, Vancouver is dangerously undermalled...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
But haven't you heard, Vancouver is dangerously under-mauled...
Helped ya out there .

And now, back on topic!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
The mall? Uh, yeah! The majority of what retail there is has to be either month-to-month or percent rent only. They've got a massive vacancy problem in the mall. Always has. It never should have been built.
Sounds like an income and lease issue, not a vacancy issue.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
I heard City Square is family-owned so doesn't have the expertise to get multi-nationals, nor from what I hear, do they want to.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I heard City Square is family-owned so doesn't have the expertise to get multi-nationals, nor from what I hear, do they want to.
Their most recent significant lease was to Dollarama, so that doesn't seem consistent. Their greatest problems seem to be related to their off-pitch location (compared to Broadway and Cambie) and the significant new rival retail that has appeared in the past few years nearby. Safeway did fine when they had a monopoly; then Save On Foods opened, and Wholefoods moved from Cambie (Capers) and then No Frills more recently along West Broadway. Although there are counter opinions on here, there is such a thing as too much competition (and too much retail space).

The food court declined as a magnet as new restaurants opened down Cambie and along West Broadway. There has been quite a bit of investment in putting new infrastructure and repair into the building, and it seems to be trading OK, but a replacement for Safeway would help. There were rumours of T&T opening there - but that's not happened yet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:27 AM

Loblaws is worried about the rise of local smaller asian supermarket chains, but the trend with T&T recently is to counter Pricesmart's bigger flashier target aiming, I too have heard those rumours of them looking to open smaller locations in underserved markets, to prevent those new upshoots (think 88 market)

Both City Square and Westminster Centre in New West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Their most recent significant lease was to Dollarama, so that doesn't seem consistent. Their greatest problems seem to be related to their off-pitch location (compared to Broadway and Cambie) and the significant new rival retail that has appeared in the past few years nearby. Safeway did fine when they had a monopoly; then Save On Foods opened, and Wholefoods moved from Cambie (Capers) and then No Frills more recently along West Broadway. Although there are counter opinions on here, there is such a thing as too much competition (and too much retail space).

The food court declined as a magnet as new restaurants opened down Cambie and along West Broadway. There has been quite a bit of investment in putting new infrastructure and repair into the building, and it seems to be trading OK, but a replacement for Safeway would help. There were rumours of T&T opening there - but that's not happened yet.
imagine if the whole thing could be converted to a simons, weird location but would make a cool store.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:34 AM

Yeah City Square has some potential to be a real buzzing cool mall, there's just no vision.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
It's all of the above. That can be a thing too.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:12 PM

City Square is a good neighbourhood service/retail centre. Yesterday I just picked up a parcel from Purolator there. The one close to my workplace downtown shut down as that beautiful 50/60s office building it used to be housed in is facing demolition (Thurlow and W. Pender). It is not doing well due to lack of retail synergy, being up the hill from the more vibrant intersection and all.

As per Officedweller, if the family wants to keep it small, then so be it. The only chance I see it becoming a vibrant mall is if the surrounding zonings were to change for much higher density.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:17 PM

City Centre is complete crap. It's dead except for the food court at lunch. The rent from the office space upstairs is probably what keeps the lights on.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Yeah City Square has some potential to be a real buzzing cool mall, there's just no vision.
You think that the number of owners over the years haven't struggled to find a cure for that mall? They just sat on their hands? That mall has been on the market a number of times since completion and gone through a few hands over the years. As having been part of a group that couldn't say NO fast enough when brokers came pitching a sale, I have some exposure to the situation.

At the fundamental core, it should just never have been built in the first place. Now, with that reality, have at 'er.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
City Centre is complete crap. It's dead except for the food court at lunch. The rent from the office space upstairs is probably what keeps the lights on.
Hmm. I always kinda liked it there, with the way they incorporated the 2 historic buildings. The new Spot condos should give the place a boost.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Their most recent significant lease was to Dollarama, so that doesn't seem consistent.
I meant multi-national / national chain fashion type stores.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I meant multi-national / national chain fashion type stores.
Gotcha. Have there ever been any in that mall, or on West Broadway (except Lululemon, briefly?) It doesn't seem like it has ever been a chain clothing store location. There are three clothing stores in the mall, and a few others nearby, but they're all independent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver