HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 4:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lost & Found has been in business for a while, offering it's products door to door and via consignment. It will now have a storefront presence for their "artisanal" ice cream products.

Here's their FB website:
https://www.facebook.com/Lostandfoundicecream/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
Notice a significant pile of lumber right next to the power station downtown. Could be fence going up around it for the anticipation of the project that been rumoured.
There is now a metal fence up around this entire block with "construction zone" signage plastered all over it.

Another indication of imminent work???

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is now a metal fence up around this entire block with "construction zone" signage plastered all over it.

Lafford could turn out to be a pretty good developer for the city. I really hope they do something major with the old Co-op property.

Here is a quote from a Huddle Today story from last summer:

Mr. Lafford hinted at another major development project in Downtown Moncton coming once Birch Meadows opens its doors to the world. More to follow on that as information becomes available.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Lafford could turn out to be a pretty good developer for the city. I really hope they do something major with the old Co-op property.

Here is a quote from a Huddle Today story from last summer:

Mr. Lafford hinted at another major development project in Downtown Moncton coming once Birch Meadows opens its doors to the world. More to follow on that as information becomes available.
I don’t even care if it a 2 story building lol . Just something to fill up the ocean of open space downtown.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:

I’m curious on how this works. We had seen the renders already for St.Bernards to go through council for approval, would the process be similar for this project? I guess I’m wondering, is wouldn’t we have seen renders for the supposed two ten-story buildings for this site if construction may be imminent?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:06 AM

Quote:
I don’t even care if it a 2 story building lol . Just something to fill up the ocean of open space downtown.
That Co-op land is a pretty prime piece of property that's screaming to be developed. I totally agree that there's a lot of empty space/asphalt downtown. Just across the street is that gigantic parking lot that's only feet away from Canada Street & the Avenir Center. What a great location for something other than 10 acres of pavement!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw31 View Post
I’m curious on how this works. We had seen the renders already for St.Bernards to go through council for approval, would the process be similar for this project? I guess I’m wondering, is wouldn’t we have seen renders for the supposed two ten-story buildings for this site if construction may be imminent?
Depends a lot on whether rezoning is necessary for the project to proceed.

If there is no rezoning needed, then PACS approval is not necessary. The developer could proceed directly to permitting via the planning department which is not a public process.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if 10 storey buildings did not require rezoning. The next PACS meeting is coming up in a little more than two weeks. The agenda will be out soon. It will be interesting to see if there is anything there.

In the meantime, all that may be going on here is basic site prep. The developer may be willing to proceed with that, assuming that PACS approval is a foregone conclusion (which is entirely possible since I am sure there will already have been significant discussions with city planning behind closed doors).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:31 AM

I suspect there may be another factor to consider... Tradespeople availability. In NB alone there is A LOT of construction, and a lot of MAJOR construction happening this year. I'm not sure we've ramped up our trades people training to handle that sort of boom.

So I could see some developers doing prep work as soon as they can get the trades, even if the project isn't officially officially approved yet as long as everything else is lining up.

It'll be interesting to see what the Tower Crane count will be for NB this year. Moncton's getting at least half a dozen, Freddy should have 3-4, and SJ should have a similar amount I think.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Depends a lot on whether rezoning is necessary for the project to proceed.

If there is no rezoning needed, then PACS approval is not necessary. The developer could proceed directly to permitting via the planning department which is not a public process.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if 10 storey buildings did not require rezoning. The next PACS meeting is coming up in a little more than two weeks. The agenda will be out soon. It will be interesting to see if there is anything there.

In the meantime, all that may be going on here is basic site prep. The developer may be willing to proceed with that, assuming that PACS approval is a foregone conclusion (which is entirely possible since I am sure there will already have been significant discussions with city planning behind closed doors).

Would not be surprised if it has to do with the election coming to take credit at a convenient time hahahah

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 11:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
FWIW, the barricades on the sidewalk at the Subway have been pushed aside (but not completely removed). Pedestrian traffic is flowing. The homeless person is still ensconced in the entryway to one of the vacant storefronts in the Subway Block.
Final comment regarding the sidewalk barricade at the Subway Block:

I sent a query to the city via FB Messenger, and they finally got ack to me with a definitive answer:

Quote:
This sidewalk was closed by our Public Works Department after reports were submitted that there were bricks that had fallen. Our Planning and Development/Building Inspection Department has also since been made aware of the situation.
So, there you have it..........

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is fresh construction hoarding up on the Botsford Street side of the Higgins Block, just to the north of Freshii where there was a small vacant street front commercial/retail unit. Something must be afoot.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A mini tower crane has been installed on the construction site on Weldon where this building is being erected.

This happened within the last day or so. The foundation and underground parking are complete. They must be starting on the superstructure soon.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:25 AM

Quote:
There is fresh construction hoarding up on the Botsford Street side of the Higgins Block, just to the north of Freshii where there was a small vacant street front commercial/retail unit. Something must be afoot.
Yes I think so. I was driving by the building Saturday morning and I saw 4 people in hard hats on the corner. They were talking and looking at the Freshi space. A man & a woman in business type clothes & two guys that looked like construction workers.

I still can't help but wonder if the owners will pivot away from their original plan to create office space, and go with residential. I can't see a need for thousands of more Sq. footage of office space downtown. But they could create some very nice residential units, which would bring more people living downtown.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Yes I think so. I was driving by the building Saturday morning and I saw 4 people in hard hats on the corner. They were talking and looking at the Freshi space. A man & a woman in business type clothes & two guys that looked like construction workers.
This?

To me it looks like they're creating a Botsford-street entrance of some sort to the building. Given the size of the shelter, I'd say something big enough to warrant a proper apartment lobby or commercial space.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, that.

You may be right that it will just be an entrance and lobby for the upper two floors of the building. I suspect they will have to install an elevator too. Something retail might be possible, but is less likely.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:59 PM

Not sure if this is the right tread but it seems to be lot of activity (gutting) at the former st Patrick family center . If I remember correctly something like a expansion of the hospital’s oncology unit suppose to go there in the future . Maybe they are advancing the project early or another parking for now .

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:38 PM

Rcmp update

As per Dawn Arnold’s Facebook page

‘Next up was an update on the RCMP building. Work has been ongoing on this since 2013 with land purchased and readied for the building. The plan is that the final designs will go to tender November 2021, with construction set to start in Spring, 2022.’

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
As per Dawn Arnold’s Facebook page

‘Next up was an update on the RCMP building. Work has been ongoing on this since 2013 with land purchased and readied for the building. The plan is that the final designs will go to tender November 2021, with construction set to start in Spring, 2022.’
Sure taking there time on this project 🙄

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Sure taking there time on this project 🙄
Indeed. I thought construction was to start this year!!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Indeed. I thought construction was to start this year!!!
So did I. The design process seems to be really drawn out. Didn't they buy the land about a year ago?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces