HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:58 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I usually don’t wear shorts if it’s below 20C either. From my observations, almost nobody does either. It is simply just not comfortable enough.
It's odd/funny how fragile Ontarians are for Canadians when they're still back east, but then not once they're anywhere else in the country. Must be the cold humidity when its below 20 Once it's 15 here, almost every man, woman, and child is in shorts and having picnics in the park. I'm in shorts and t-shirt most often soon as it hits 10 on any given day, long as it's sunny. Tank top and flip flops once it's 15. Thankfully it's Calgary so... sun. Patios will still be largely full even at 8 degrees (as seen in many of my photos).

This is the season in Calgary where you'll often see people in flip flops, shorts, and a tank top walking past people bundled up in full winter gear on the street.

Anywhooo, currently 3 and sunny at noon.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's odd/funny how fragile Ontarians are for Canadians when they're still back east, but then not once they're anywhere else in the country. Must be the cold humidity when its below 20 Once it's 15 here, almost every man, woman, and child is in shorts and having picnics in the park. I'm in shorts and t-shirt most often soon as it hits 10 on any given day, long as it's sunny. Tank top and flip flops once it's 15. Thankfully it's Calgary so... sun. Patios will still be largely full even at 8 degrees (as seen in many of my photos).

This is the season in Calgary where you'll often see people in flip flops, shorts, and a tank top walking past people bundled up in full winter gear on the street.

Anywhooo, currently 3 and sunny at noon.
How endearing

FWIW, humidity tends to make moderate temperatures more comfortable. I'll never forget how cold 20 degrees in Las Vegas with a moderate wind felt. It was quite an eye-opening experience.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I’ll never forget the opposite direction - that July day a few years ago where we had a dry 29C. It was such an usual experience - sweltering heat in the sun, but a bit of a chill on your back with it against a chair, or in shade. It was cool to experience. Everywhere warm I’ve ever been has been humid.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
How endearing

FWIW, humidity tends to make moderate temperatures more comfortable. I'll never forget how cold 20 degrees in Las Vegas with a moderate wind felt. It was quite an eye-opening experience.
Yes, that was the "wink" face obviously. Humidity only makes it uncomfortable when its 27+ or below freezing.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was the "wink" face obviously. Humidity only makes it uncomfortable when its 27+ or below freezing.
No, just no,

We've been through this so many times before...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:26 PM

I've been to Calgary many times in the summer. My cousins would all be wearing shorts and t-shirts when its 15C and Im like...wtf lol. I was freezing. I was in my jeans and a hoodie. I guess its whatever you are used to. Here in ON we are spoiled with real tropical summers.

Also, there is no such thing as humidity when the temperature is below freezing. Environment Canada has issued article after article about this. I guess some people just don't accept science? Anyways... the wind is what makes a temperature feel cold. Especially when its funnelling through tall buildings.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:29 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
No, just no,

We've been through this so many times before...
Yes, and my experiences with it have never changed, despite your wining about how nice unbearably hot or unbearably chilly humidity is. It's not like we've come to any sort of agreement, nor will we, clearly. Why would you assume we had somehow reached a consensus on this?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, and my experiences with it have never changed, despite your wining about how nice unbearably hot or unbearably chilly humidity is. It's not like we've come to any sort of agreement, nor will we, clearly. Why would you assume we had somehow reached a consensus on this?
I've been operating under the assumption that the laws of physics apply everywhere...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 9:20 PM
A Better Place

People from the Prairies explaining winter weather to people from Southern Ontario, the Maritimes or the West Coast:

'IT'S A DRY COLD'

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 9:34 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I've been to Calgary many times in the summer. My cousins would all be wearing shorts and t-shirts when its 15C and Im like...wtf lol. I was freezing. I was in my jeans and a hoodie. I guess its whatever you are used to. Here in ON we are spoiled with real tropical summers.
This is a new one. Please define.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:17 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Southern Ontario/Quebec could wind up with a longer growing season this year ...
Sure, I guess anything is possible and Montreal could have a longer growing season than Vancouver.

Feb 18 2021 in Montreal:

Meanwhile 2 days later in Vancouver:

Photos by mcminsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
... but officially the growing season is freeze to freeze).
No, no it is not. It is officially when all the environmental conditions support "normal" plant growth for that area.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
A new one? I am not sure how much explanation you need. Summers with humidity are an almost everyday occurrence in Southern On (as well as Southern Quebec) . Tropical in nature...For instance if you visit Florida or the Caribbean there is humidity , making the nights feel comfortable being outside in shorts. Manitoba gets humidity too so I'd assume you would know the feeling.

My point is, when you're used to the humidity adding a buffer to the temperatures (22C feeling like 28C, etc) you get used to it. Then when you go somewhere more dry you have to re-adjust your expectations of the temps and what to wear outside.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:24 PM
Suburbs Suck

15.4C + sun at 4pm.

19 19 19 20 21 22 and all sun.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:38 PM
Community Guy

7C and time for a x-ski on the shadow side of the valley followed by a patio beer.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Spring was sluggish this year in Vancouver but we still had some trees/shrubs leafing out around here in March and this week is summer-like. Vancouver's colder than normal March would be a considerably warmer than normal March anywhere east of the Rockies in Canada.

The colder spring this year really created clear delineations in what started up when. Some trees I can see out my window are far along and others are just starting to bud now that we are having our mini heat wave.

Around this time of year I find my weather enjoyment depends a lot more on sunshine than temperatures. I don't mind the seasons and don't consider the warmest possible temperature on a given date to be the best possible temperature.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Spring was sluggish this year in Vancouver but we still had some trees/shrubs leafing out around here in March and this week is summer-like. Vancouver's colder than normal March would be a considerably warmer than normal March anywhere east of the Rockies in Canada.

The colder spring this year really created clear delineations in what started up when. Some trees I can see out my window are far along and others are just starting to bud now that we are having our mini heat wave.

Around this time of year I find my weather enjoyment depends a lot more on sunshine than temperatures. I don't mind the seasons and don't consider the warmest possible temperature on a given date to be the best possible temperature.
Yeah, actually a little cooler is preferable for me. But smog and/or rain are the worst.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:42 AM
Suburbs Suck

The South Coast of BC this week:

Vancouver 16 16 17 17 19 19 sun every day

Victoria 18 19 21 21 21 21 19 sun every day

Inland a bit to Abbotsford 22 24 25 26 24 23 sun every day
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:22 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
People from the Prairies explaining winter weather to people from Southern Ontario, the Maritimes or the West Coast:

'IT'S A DRY COLD'
I mean, that has certainly been my experience in my 10 winters here. I haven't owned a winter coat since I was a teenager when I moved to BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The sweltering heat of Ontario summers actually does feel tropical sans the vegetation. It's only really bearable if you're near a beach or have a pool. When I was a kid we always had one of those gigantic half-sunken circular pools that are like 4 - 5 feet deep and the water would often get to 86 F or even higher in the summer. The night times are the thing I miss most about eastern summers, you could walk around naked at 3 am because the air is so warm and so thick that you could swim in it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:44 AM
La vie à Canamerica

Vancouver weather for the next few days; 17°C today (only 13° at YVR), and then 19 21 22 23 22 21 18, almost all sunny, certainly a bit above normal.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:23 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
[SIZE="3"]Sure, I guess anything is possible and Montreal could have a longer growing season than Vancouver.
A couple of pictures doesn't change the definition of growing season

Quote:
The growing season is defined as that part of the year when soil temperatures at 50 cm (20 inches) below the soil surface are higher than biologic zero (5 degrees C, 41 degrees F). As this quantitative determination requires in-ground instrumentation which is not usually available, growing season can be estimated by approximating the number of frost free days. The growing season can be approximated as the period of time between the average date of the last killing frost in the spring to the average date of the first killing frost in the fall. This represents a temperature threshold of 28 degrees F or lower at a frequency of 5 years in 10.
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal...onDatesLength/

It's so nice seeing Westerners on the defensive. Means we have been having good weather.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada