HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

And Again, less than one month after the last one.
This time, it is a "Stay at Home" order from the Fabulous Ford Government. Why was a Klaxxon required? Was it only urgent in the past 3 seconds, and not one minute before?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:12 PM
recession proof

I got it too but I've learned to keep the volume down. I think it's aimed at immigrant factory/warehouse workers and old folks who tend to ignore the msm.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:29 PM

This must be an Ontario thing. In BC I don't get these at all.

The only one I can think of was when I was on a business trip in Cincinnati a few years ago. Mass shooting of some sort at a hotel downtown and I was in a meeting about a block away. The locals all looked at their phone and said, "Oh, again. It will probably get sorted out before we need to go to lunch. Lets continue on." We were up on one of the higher floor of a high-rise.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 4:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

The only one I can think of was when I was on a business trip in Cincinnati a few years ago. Mass shooting of some sort at a hotel downtown and I was in a meeting about a block away. The locals all looked at their phone and said, "Oh, again. It will probably get sorted out before we need to go to lunch. Lets continue on." We were up on one of the higher floor of a high-rise.
I was in San Francisco, and I didn't need such warnings. I just listened for the gunshots outside (which happened 2/4 nights, but then I was staying right on the edge of the Tenderloin).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:06 PM
Mooderator

I got it too, but it must be because I'm pinging off a tower in Ottawa.

It's the law

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

I don't think we've had an Amber Alert issued in BC since this alert system was set up. I did a quick search online but the most recent one I could find in BC was from 2016.

There was a test of the system in 2019, I recall.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

When I used to play in South Arm in Richmond, B.C., when there was an active amber alert, I would see the 401 passing by showing this in the direction panel:
AMBER ALERT
LISTEN TO RADIO
That was 2010.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 8:11 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

(Edit)

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jun 4, 2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: @Djeffrey thanks for not quoting me.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 8:14 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

(Edit)

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jun 4, 2021 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:07 AM

It's not like this is new, why not just turn your phone to silent, or off completely, if you don't want to be disturbed by it? Weird that your immediate reaction to being woken up with sleep issues is to get on here in the middle of the night and post twice about it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It's not like this is new, why not just turn your phone to silent, or off completely, if you don't want to be disturbed by it? Weird that your immediate reaction to being woken up with sleep issues is to get on here in the middle of the night and post twice about it.
I used to put my phone on airplane mode. Lately I just put my phone on Do Not Disturb mode.
I mean, eventually I got fed up and put my phone on airplane mode after the alert went off for the 3rd time. -_-

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I used to put my phone on airplane mode. Lately I just put my phone on Do Not Disturb mode.
I mean, eventually I got fed up and put my phone on airplane mode after the alert went off for the 3rd time. -_-
What's the problem then? Sounds like you found your solution. Put your phone in airplane mode and let the potential life saving system continue.

I just find it funny, everyone has the solution at their own fingertips, but place the blame on the Amber Alert. Your phone is only going to wake you up if you have it setup to do so.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
What's the problem then? Sounds like you found your solution. Put your phone in airplane mode and let the potential life saving system continue.

I just find it funny, everyone has the solution at their own fingertips, but place the blame on the Amber Alert. Your phone is only going to wake you up if you have it setup to do so.
Yea sorry everyone, I was hoping for a good night sleep, then I totally forgot that amber alert exists.
Anyway, I’m hoping to survive today on 2 medium-sized iced coffee from McD’s.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Yea sorry everyone, I was hoping for a good night sleep, then I totally forgot that amber alert exists.
Anyway, I’m hoping to survive today on 2 medium-sized iced coffee from McD’s.
You’re not the only one who didn’t get a good night sleep. While my phone was on airplane mode, my wife’s wasn’t. The alarm triggered the cats and they started asking for food non stop until I finally gave in and fed them. I couldn’t go back to sleep after that, and I couldn’t help but think about this thread and MolsonEx’s complaints, which eventually led me to think about Tronald Dump and people in an oversized pick up truck ordering four by fours in a drive-thru at Rimmies. Crazy all the stuff that can go through your head after an amber alert TGIF though.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:37 PM

My phone has been on since 6:30 and the alarm hasn't gone off and I'm in Ottawa. Same with my wife's phone. Both on Rogers.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:46 PM

Was the alert at least near you or was this one of those 'amber alert in Hearst for an incident in Sarnia' kind of deals?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Was the alert at least near you or was this one of those 'amber alert in Hearst for an incident in Sarnia' kind of deals?
This one actually originated in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:00 PM

Setting the phone to airplane mode isn't an option for everyone.

I need to keep my phone available for emergencies, as my mom is elderly and if an emergency arises - I'd like her to get a hold of me. Is there a way to mute these alerts while being able to allow phone calls to alert me?
Sleeping isn't easy for me, so once I wake up - it's hard to get back to sleep and my whole day is messed up.

As it is now, if I get an alert in the middle of the night - I just stop it without even reading it. I have no idea what the alert is about and couldn't help to report anything the next day. I'm sure most people do the same thing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
As it is now, if I get an alert in the middle of the night - I just stop it without even reading it. I have no idea what the alert is about and couldn't help to report anything the next day. I'm sure most people do the same thing.
Our Amber Alert notifications are a textbook way to reduce emergency readiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
... I couldn’t go back to sleep after that, and I couldn’t help but think about this thread and MolsonEx’s complaints, which eventually led me to think about Tronald Dump and people in an oversized pick up truck ordering four by fours in a drive-thru at Rimmies....
Can you even fit coffee in the cup at that point?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Setting the phone to airplane mode isn't an option for everyone.

I need to keep my phone available for emergencies, as my mom is elderly and if an emergency arises - I'd like her to get a hold of me. Is there a way to mute these alerts while being able to allow phone calls to alert me?
Sleeping isn't easy for me, so once I wake up - it's hard to get back to sleep and my whole day is messed up.

Have an older phone. I'm still using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is too old to get the Amber Alerts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada