HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:33 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post

Seriously though it's too bad that car museums don't get any respect in these rankings. The Petersen Automotive Museum has a finer collection of priceless and historically significant art than many of these "modern art" museums around the world .
true, but not only cars. do quirky local folk museums count? like philly magic gardens or london sloane's? i guess so?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
true, but not only cars. do quirky local folk museums count? like philly magic gardens or london sloane's? i guess so?
Yes. I think folk art installations and roadside attractions should count as museums too, though they may not rank highly or appear on any of these lists they should still count.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Yes. I think folk art installations and roadside attractions should count as museums too, though they may not rank highly or appear on any of these lists they should still count.

i would agree. just as long as they are long standing and not fly by night as the seemingly temporary make a quick buck retail space tourist joints i was referring to. i dk, maybe i'm being too harsh tho.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Toledo has a great art museum but no way in hell is it #11 in the U.S. Top 40, probably. Laughable putting it ahead of the Guggenheim, the Whitney or the Getty.
Toledo at #11 jumped out at me as well. So did the Frick in NYC at 17 and the Kimbell in Fort Worth at 19.

All of these are great art museums, but they have no business being ranked so highly, over much larger, more comprehensive art museums with superior overall collections.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Toledo at #11 jumped out at me as well. So did the Frick in NYC at 17 and the Kimbell in Fort Worth at 19.

All of these are great art museums, but they have no business being ranked so highly, over much larger, more comprehensive art museums with superior overall collections.

You may be right if you look at it through the “big lens”, but a lot of the really good museums that are either popular or respected by art aficionados tend to be smaller. The Morgan Library in NYC is one of those specialty museums that are overlooked unless you are interested in the art of drawing and printmaking, not to mention rare books. The shows are always outstanding and display the depth of historical collections found in a city like New York.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
You may be right if you look at it through the “big lens”, but a lot of the really good museums that are either popular or respected by art aficionados tend to be smaller. The Morgan Library in NYC is one of those specialty museums that are overlooked unless you are interested in the art of drawing and printmaking, not to mention rare books. The shows are always outstanding and display the depth of historical collections found in a city like New York.
Sure, but then you are getting into very specific, and sometimes single-artist / single-genre museums.

These smaller, specialty museums are often wonderful, but trying to compare them to a large comprehensive art museum with tens of thousands of pieces in their collection, plus national and international traveling exhibits, and attempt to say the smaller museum is "better" is ludicrous. You can't really compare them.

For instance, I really like the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh and the Frick Art Museum in Pittsburgh, and the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia... but I would never try to claim that they were better or worse than the Carnegie or the PMA. It wouldn't make any sense.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

dubious criteria, thus dubious list
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
712 Main Street (Chase) has a great food hall. Also check out the Houston Museum of Natural Science and the Holocaust Museum
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
You might be interested in the Asia Society Museum as well as the Holocaust Museum, both are near Hermann Park and not far from the MFAH.

For the quintessential Houston experience you should check out the Orange Show and Smither Park next door as well as the Beer Can House.

The "Houston is Inspired" Mural is MEH! if you ask me but Market Square Park and the Jame Surls sculpture "Points of View" (my personal favorite public sculpture) is just across the street.

Buffalo Bayou Park is DEFINITELY worth a visit. Google the Cistern and see if that might interest you.

A few minutes inside the lobby of Pennzoil Place is worth it and it's right across from JP Morgan Chase Tower (which I believe is under remodeling and the observation floor is no longer open to the public anyway. Miró's "Personnage et Oiseaux" may still be visible amongst the construction at Chase. I don't know.

Check out the old Julia Ideson Library across the street from City Hall.

Check out the new Eastern Glades section of Memorial Park then report back. I've yet to see it.

Take a quick look at the Post Oak Central buildings. A Philip Johnson art deco-ish project that predates Transco (Williams) Tower.

You can also ride the Red Line Fannin South light rail through Downtown into Midtown then through the Museum District then past Hermann Park on one side and Rice on the other and then on into the Texas Medical Center just to get an idea of the place and to see how big the Med Center is. If you stay on the train a bit longer you can catch a glimpse of the decaying Astrodome.

Another suggestion is just skip all of this and eat until you explode!
Thank you both! There's so much to see!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Sure, but then you are getting into very specific, and sometimes single-artist / single-genre museums.

These smaller, specialty museums are often wonderful, but trying to compare them to a large comprehensive art museum with tens of thousands of pieces in their collection, plus national and international traveling exhibits, and attempt to say the smaller museum is "better" is ludicrous. You can't really compare them.

For instance, I really like the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh and the Frick Art Museum in Pittsburgh, and the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia... but I would never try to claim that they were better or worse than the Carnegie or the PMA. It wouldn't make any sense.

Well, again, it’s not just about scale or rather scope of collections vs specialty. A specialty museum like the Morgan Library may contain more drawings by Masters of all eras than some larger more diversified ones like the Met or the Louvre. Most museums hold vast undisplayed collections like the Royal Collections in England. Some touring exhibitions choose institutions according to their stature and some smaller museums are better suited to accommodate and attract given their area of expertise.

The Warhol museum is an interesting case. I read a post in another forum about the breadth of the collection at that museum vs MoMA in NYC. Frankly, to miss the experience of an original Warhol in situ is less of a preoccupation than breathing in Manets and Rembrandts, but I will allow that it is a personal preference.

Last edited by montréaliste; Sep 20, 2021 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:

Saying the Frick doesn’t belong in the top twenty is crazy. I think it’s pretty-easily top ten. So what if there aren’t 100,000 objects there, they’ve got 30 paintings that would be among the five best artworks in all but six or seven American museums. Quality trumps quantity when you have a murderers row of masterpieces. Sorry, but you’re just wrong here.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 8:12 PM

Yes, the Frick in NY is great. I agree that’s it’s among the best small art museums around, maybe the best in terms of value of its collection. But I’m not going to cram it into the same class of art museum that includes the large encyclopedic museums.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Frick in NY is great. I agree that’s it’s among the best small art museums around, maybe the best in terms of value of its collection. But I’m not going to cram it into the same class of art museum that includes the large encyclopedic museums.

Nobody’s asking you to cram anything into something that doesn’t please you. We’ve already established that the listicle equals something that rhymes with it. One, without the other.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:24 AM

The Frick is being doubled in size, with an expansion by Selldorf Architects. So it will be more like a mid-sized museum.

They've had decades of cramped conditions and NIMBYs thwarting expansion, but an expansion was finally approved a few years ago, and construction is well under way.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions