HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 5:55 PM
Community Guy

A good read on housing, equity and enabling housing choice.

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5bc4...ity%20V1NC.pdf

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:33 PM
Community Guy

Mansion Tax!

I believe taxation should be progressive, and that those of us who can pay just a little bit more, should. On June 10th, I put forward the following motion for debate at the June 20th City Council Committee:

That Administration prepare a report with options for additional tax subclasses on:
1) properties valued in the top 1% of residential homes
2) residential properties valued over $2 million and that the additional revenue if realized be allocated to community safety and well-being initiatives and poverty elimination.
To date, we have not had progressive taxation at City Hall. I am a supporter of fair and progressive taxation at all levels of government

Edmonton has more than 100 residences valued over $3 Million dollars. We also have 52,000 children in poverty.
I look forward to hearing from you, michael@michaeljanz.ca

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:54 PM
Community Guy

City to provide updates on affordable housing
June 17, 2022

News media are invited to join Christel Kjenner, director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness, for an update on the City’s plans for affordable housing and background on eight reports going to the Community and Public Services Committee on June 27.

Date: Friday, June 17
Time: 1 p.m.

Please RSVP to brent.wittmeier@edmonton.ca. The media availability will be recorded and can be shared by request for those who cannot join at the scheduled time.

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier
Senior Marketing Strategist
Communications and Engagement
780-619-1925

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Mansion Tax!

I believe taxation should be progressive, and that those of us who can pay just a little bit more, should. On June 10th, I put forward the following motion for debate at the June 20th City Council Committee:

That Administration prepare a report with options for additional tax subclasses on:
1) properties valued in the top 1% of residential homes
2) residential properties valued over $2 million and that the additional revenue if realized be allocated to community safety and well-being initiatives and poverty elimination.
To date, we have not had progressive taxation at City Hall. I am a supporter of fair and progressive taxation at all levels of government

Edmonton has more than 100 residences valued over $3 Million dollars. We also have 52,000 children in poverty.
I look forward to hearing from you, michael@michaeljanz.ca
interesting - but flawed - philosophy...

a $3,000,000 home on a 50' lot already pays 1.5 times as much tax as a $2,000,000 home and 3 times as much tax as a $1,000,000 home on the same 50' lot without the city providing any more or any less in terms of municipal services to any of them.

that seems pretty progressive to me.

as for those "100 homes valued over $3,000,000", it doesn't say whether on average they are valued at $3,500,000 or $8,500,000 so let's pick a number and say it's half-way in between or $6,000,000.

the difference between $3,000,000 and $6,000,000 is $3,000,000. the city of edmonton already taxes homes at approximately $1,000 per $100,000 so those homes are already paying an average of $30,000 per year more in property taxes than a $3,000,000 home at the current flat mill rate.

even so, let's play along and see what happens if the mill rate for property taxes on anything more than $3,000,000 doubled. That would raise another $30,000 per year on each of those 100 homes for a total of $3,000,000 on top of the $6,000,000 in property taxes those homes are already paying.

$3,000,000 isn't even a rounding error for the city of edmonton. as for attempting to compare that sum to the 52,000 children living in poverty, that amount equals $57.69 per child per annum or $4.81 per month. and that assumes that the city of edmonton has both the political will and the means to distribute that $4.81 a month to those 52,000 children in some sort of meaningful and cost effective manner.

this isn't about "progressive taxation", this is about a capital tax that provides lots of opportunity for grandstanding but little in terms of substance.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

City exceeds affordable housing targets, lays out next steps for future investments
June 17, 2022

The City of Edmonton is on track to eclipse its four-year affordable housing targets, and new investments will be required to maintain momentum.

Eight reports will be tabled at the Community and Public Services Committee on June 27, setting the stage for fall discussions of the next four-year affordable housing plan. More information is available in this backgrounder.

“Affordable housing is essential social infrastructure for a safe and inclusive city,” said Christel Kjenner, director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “We’ve created real momentum through consistency and predictability, which will make a world of difference to thousands of Edmontonians struggling to keep a roof over their heads.”

The City expects to surpass its 2019-2022 targets of 600 supportive housing units and 2,500 new or renovated affordable housing units overall. The City has already committed to 644 supportive housing units and 2,404 affordable units, renovating another 1,559 units of City-owned social housing. Another 439 affordable housing units expected by year’s end would bring the total to 4,402.

A new Affordable Housing Needs Assessment, to be finalized this fall, notes that one in four Edmonton renter households struggles with affordability and higher than national rates of low-income households. Households with a disability or severe health need, racialized and Indigenous households, as well as seniors and single mothers are particularly at risk.

Three funding scenarios are also being proposed ahead of City Council’s budget deliberations in the fall, including targets of 2,400 to 3,500 new and refurbished units in the next four years.

For more information:
Backgrounder

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier
780-619-1925

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:25 PM
Community Guy

City approves new affordable housing, eclipses four-year targets
September 7, 2022

With the approval of grants for 258 new units of affordable housing, the City has surpassed its four-year affordable housing targets.

Grant funding for four new projects was approved by Executive Committee on Wednesday as part of the fourth round of the Affordable Housing Investment Program (AHIP). The $17.6 million investment moves the City’s commitment to 2,670 homes over the past four years, surpassing the original target of 2,500 units of new or renovated affordable housing by the end of 2022.

Three of the projects will be led by Indigenous organizations, with another by HomeEd, the City’s non-profit housing corporation. All four projects will be energy efficient and offer a range of unit types at a maximum rental rate of 80 per cent of the average market rates.

“These homes will offer a firm foothold to hundreds of Edmonton families,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “Because Indigenous people face barriers around housing due to intergenerational trauma, it’s especially exciting to see Indigenous-led organizations forging ahead with innovative projects that integrate cultural connections from the start.”

AHIP was created in 2018 as key tool to achieve Council’s affordable housing targets. Since 2019, $48.1 million has been committed to projects that will deliver 1,106 units of affordable housing. The grants have been instrumental in creating shovel-ready projects that can leverage support from other governments and partners. Eligible non-profit organizations and affordable housing developers receive up to 25 per cent of capital costs for a wide range of options within the affordable housing spectrum. To date, the projects have attracted $387 million in investment overall, more than $6 of outside investment for every City of Edmonton dollar.

“When the City offers consistent, predictable and early support, more affordable housing gets built,” said Christel Kjenner, director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “We all recognize that Edmonton’s housing gap is significant—one in four renters struggle—but by treating affordable housing as essential infrastructure, we empower thousands of Edmontonians to build a better future while simultaneously making our community as a whole more resilient.”

Wednesday's grants represent the largest round of investments to date, and will be the last before Council sets new four-year affordable housing targets this fall.

Three projects will be located in Griesbach. Two of the sites have already received support from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation through the Federal Lands Initiative, a 10 year plan that will provide up to $200 million to support the transfer of surplus federal properties to encourage affordable, sustainable, accessible and socially inclusive housing.

“The National Housing Strategy continues to ensure more affordable, accessible housing
for people in need across Canada, including in Edmonton,” said Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion. “As the result of partnerships between our
government, the City of Edmonton, non-profits, and indigenous organizations, we are
building new, sustainable homes in the Griesbach community—this is the National Housing Strategy at work.”

“The Federal Lands Initiative works to free surplus federal land for development of much-
needed affordable housing,” said Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism and Associate
Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre. “This $200 million
fund, a key pillar of the National Housing Strategy, is working to bring more homes to those who are in core housing need in Edmonton.”

The projects represent a total investment of approximately $128.8 million:
Métis Capital Housing Corporation will receive $8.2 million towards a $50 million project for 127 affordable housing units for low-income Indigenous families in Griesbach, with on-site programming and a child care centre.
Tribal Chiefs Ventures, a Tribal Council representing six First Nations northeast of Edmonton, will receive $4 million to build a $32.2 million, 127 unit mixed market building in Griesbach, with 64 affordable units.
Paul Band Property Management Corp. will receive $1.5 million as part of an $8.9- million project in Glenwood, which will include 24 semi-detached residential units for off-reserve members, with a focus on families, seniors and members living with disabilities. An equity trust program will allow tenants to grow savings and eventually purchase their own homes.
HomeEd will receive $3.8 million for a $37.6 million project that will add five mixed-market townhouse buildings in Griesbach, with 43 affordable units.

“We, the Métis Nation of Alberta, are honoured to play a part in providing housing to hundreds of low-income Indigenous families in Edmonton,” said Audrey Poitras, president of the Métis Nation of Alberta. “To have a safe place where our community can gather and our families grow roots is an important step toward healing and reconciliation. As an Indigenous-owned and operated organization with 40 years of experience, Métis Capital Housing is ready and equipped to house our people.

“This housing project has been a vision of the tribal council leadership and staff for many years,” said Cameron Alexis, chief executive officer, Tribal Chiefs Ventures. “In collaboration with the City of Edmonton, we will now be able to empower our people to find a safe place to call home, build their self-esteem, and provide the safety and support they need to achieve their aspirations.”

"This project will provide safe, secure, stable housing and culturally appropriate services, fostering self-reliance and social integration for our members," said Cynthia Rain, project manager, Paul Band Property Management. "Our organization and Chief and Council support this project and thank the City of Edmonton for their teamwork on this project."

"HomeEd greatly appreciates the investment the City is making to support the development of family-oriented, affordable homes in an environmentally responsible way,” said Nick Lilley, chief executive officer, HomeEd. “We look forward to making Parkside

For more information:
Backgrounder
edmonton.ca/affordablehousing

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier
780-619-1925

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 7:34 PM

Not sure what the general consensus is, but driving down 101st, south of 107 Ave, there's something heart warming about the homeless Edmontonians, and the community spirit of pitching seemingly hundreds of tents in the vicinity surrounding the Herb Jamieson centre. I hope they get the housing and resources that they need.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Sep 12, 2022 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 9:47 PM
Community Guy

Grand opening for new supportive housing site
September 7, 2022

News media are invited to join Mayor Amarjeet Sohi and Steve Wile, CEO of The Mustard Seed, for the grand opening of Prairie Manor, a new supportive housing site near Whyte Avenue.

Following the formal program, media will be invited to tour the facility and learn more about individual apartments, the work involved in renovating a former hotel, and the available supports that will help residents thrive.

Date: Thursday, September 8
Time: 1 p.m.
Location: Prairie Manor supportive housing site, 10333 University Avenue NW

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier
780-619-1925

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 1:55 PM
Community Guy

What an embarrassing and broken system.

Homeward Trust and the city confirmed this week that no one has moved into the 60 available units at two recently completely supportive housing complexes, saying they need more money from the provincial government to operate the facilities. “The need is very high,” said Homeward Trust CEO Susan McGee. “The lack of sufficient resources to address it, certainly there’s a frustrating element to that.” Community and Social Services Minister Jason Luan said the province gives Homeward Trust $29 million to operate more than 400 supportive housing units, and said the government will work with the city to help address the increase in homelessness in Edmonton.

-Taproot

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 4:06 PM
Community Guy

UNFUNDED

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 12:22 AM
Community Guy

Council approves $7.5 million to fund temporary emergency shelter
November 30, 2022

City Council has approved $7.5 million from the financial stabilization reserve to fund 209 temporary emergency shelter spaces.

Jasper Place Wellness Centre (JPWC) in partnership with Tallcree Tribal Government will operate the shelter spaces at a former hotel at 15540 Stony Plain Road in the city’s west end. The shelter will include 150 congregate living spaces and 59 private rooms, increasing the number of shelter spaces in Edmonton to 1,281 once all spaces are operational.

The new 24/7 emergency shelter will open in approximately four weeks and operate for six months. People accessing the shelter will have a safe, warm place to sleep, receive daily meals and have access to health services, harm reduction services, case management support and be connected with a housing support worker who will help them find longer term housing.

“This project addresses an urgent need to support vulnerable Edmontonians this winter,” said City Manager Andre Corbould. “Thank you to Jasper Place Wellness Centre and Tallcree Nation for working with us in providing Edmontonians experiencing homelessness with a safe place to stay.”

While the Government of Alberta recently supplemented its 622 permanent shelter spaces with funding for an additional 450 temporary spaces for the winter, permanent emergency shelters continue to face capacity pressures.

Homeward Trust’s By Name List indicates that more than 2,750 Edmontonians are experiencing homelessness. About 1,250 of those individuals are primarily sleeping in emergency shelters or outdoors each night.

“Jasper Place Wellness Centre believes that permanent affordable, supportive housing designed to create community inside is foundational to ending the systemic cycle of houselessness in our city,” said Taylor Soroka, JPWC’s co-founder and vice president of strategy. “ We are happy to partner with Tallcree Nation and the City of Edmonton to create safe spaces out of the cold and expedite people into housing that meets their needs in both harm reduction and recovery.”

“Tallcree Tribal Government is excited to invest in west Edmonton and work with Jasper Place Wellness Centre and the City of Edmonton in navigating historically systemic issues such as chronic homelessness that impact our communities so deeply,” said Tallcree Tribal Government Chief Rupert Meneen.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/homelessness

Media contact:
Noor Al-Henedy
Communications Advisor
780-446-0074

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:34 PM
Community Guy

New supportive housing site welcomes residents
December 20, 2022

A new supportive housing facility in south Edmonton is providing safe, stable housing for Edmontonians who would otherwise be at risk of homelessness.

The Mustard Seed Prairie Manor has gradually welcomed residents since late summer and is now 70 per cent full. The site is one of eight projects funded by the City of Edmonton and the Government of Canada as part of the first two rounds of the federal Rapid Housing Initiative (RHI), a national housing program aimed at new housing for vulnerable Canadians.

“Prairie Manor is not just welcoming Edmontonians who might struggle to keep finding stable housing this winter, it’s giving them a permanent place to call home,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “This project builds on The Mustard Seed’s long history of working to address houselessness, reduce poverty and help Edmontonians meet their basic needs.”

Through the RHI, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) provided $9.2 million, and the City provided $1.7 million, to renovate a former hotel in Strathcona Junction into 85 self-contained supportive housing units. The RHI is a $2.5-billion program under the National Housing Strategy (NHS) to help address the urgent housing needs of vulnerable Canadians through the rapid construction of over 10,000 units of affordable housing across the country.

“Every Canadian deserves a safe and affordable place to call home,” said Ahmed
Hussen, federal Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion. “Through the Rapid
Housing Initiative, our government is quickly delivering affordable housing to Canadians
most in need. Edmontonians who would otherwise be at risk now have homes at
Mustard Seed Prairie Manor. This is one of the many ways the National Housing
Strategy continues to ensure no one is left behind.”

“This site, made possible through the Rapid Housing Initiative, will bring much needed relief to many of the city's most vulnerable residents,” said Randy Boissonnault, federal Minister of Tourism, Associate Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre. “These 85 units are more than just safe and affordable places to live, they are key to a better life for the residents who will call them home.”

Supportive housing residents sign a lease, pay rent based on 30 per cent of their income and live in an apartment they can furnish and decorate. They also receive supports tailored to their needs. Staff are on-site 24 hours a day and residents receive a range of services through referrals and visits.

Prairie Manor has floors dedicated to individuals with low mobility, females, and sober living. Of the total suites, 49 units are reserved for Indigenous peoples, which reflects the 57 per cent of people currently experiencing homelessness who identify as Indigenous.

“The Mustard Seed is so grateful for the opportunity to create a space where those who have experienced homelessness can find comfort and peace,” said Katie Kitschke, director of housing, The Mustard Seed Edmonton. “We know that there is still so much work to be done, but we are proud to be a part of it."

For more information:
Backgrounder - 2022 Year End Update

Media contacts:
Brent Wittmeier
780-619-1925

Brittany Hendrych
Office of the Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion

Media Relations
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 4:37 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton councillors approve sale of 2 plots of land in Quarters to affordable housing developers

By Stephanie Swensrude

https://globalnews.ca/news/9520645/e...land-quarters/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 7:48 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton submits plans for supportive housing
March 15, 2023

The City is moving forward with plans to support 351 new units of affordable and supportive housing.

On Tuesday, Council approved an investment plan for the third round of the Rapid Housing Initiative, a national program led by the Government of Canada to support shovel-ready affordable housing projects.

The City will submit three City-led projects, one of which will be eligible for $12.5 million earmarked by the federal government for Edmonton. Five other affordable housing developments led by non-profit organizations will also be submitted. In total, the projects would leverage a City investment of $48.4 million to access $72.6 million of federal funding.

“Each one of these projects is life changing, a vision of what we can do when we work together,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “We need a bold plan to grow our affordable housing infrastructure, to make Edmonton a place for all of us.”

Supportive housing is a flexible model of affordable housing tailored to individuals who struggle to maintain housing. Over the past four years, the City has supported the development of 644 units of supportive housing for Edmontonians facing complex health challenges, trauma and homelessness.

“These new proposals represent a very important step towards regaining our momentum in ending homelessness in our community,” said Susan McGee, CEO of Homeward Trust. “Supportive housing is a proven cost-effective model that provides long-term, sustainable housing for community members who have otherwise been trapped in a cycle of homelessness.”

The City-led proposals replicate a model used during the first round of the federal Rapid Housing Initiative, when the City oversaw the construction of five supportive housing sites on municipally owned land. The five sites were transferred in late 2022 to Homeward Trust, which has selected operators and welcomed the first residents of the 210 new units. A new tour video has been developed to give Edmontonians a first look at what the finished sites look like.

King Edward Park: Operated by the Bissell Centre’s Hope Terrace program, which specializes in supporting people born with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
Inglewood: Operated by Native Counselling Services of Alberta, an Indigenous-led organization that specializes in fair and equitable treatment for a population overrepresented in housing need and homelessness.
Westmount: Operated by the George Spady Society, which provides a continuum of support services to people with complex life circumstances associated with substance-related and concurrent disorders.
Terrace Heights: Operated by Boyle Street Community Services, an organization dedicated to eliminating homelessness and building strong, accepting and respectful communities.
Wellington: Operated by NiGiNan Housing Ventures, an Indigenous-led non-profit housing provider specializing in a range of supportive housing options for Indigenous people.

In the coming days, residents living near the completed developments will receive welcome letters from Homeward Trust and the new operators, including plans for open houses and community events.

Details of the newly submitted proposals, including locations, size and organizations, will be made public when funded by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, and will be subject to additional Council decisions.

For more information:
Pictures and b-roll of RHI Round 1 Sites
Supportive Housing tour video

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 9:15 PM
Community Guy

New affordable housing tax grant launched
May 11, 2023

A new $27 million City of Edmonton investment will support non-profit organizations providing Edmontonians with a range of affordable housing.

The Affordable Housing Tax Grant covers municipal property taxes for all affordable housing units owned or operated by non-profit organizations. Funding for the grant was approved in Budget 2023-2026 following several Council debates on how to best bring the City’s policies in line with provincial legislation. The grant will offset $6 million in taxes in 2023, scaling up to $7.5 million by 2026, providing a complement to the City’s ongoing efforts to increase the number of affordable housing units.

“One in four renters in Edmonton pay more than they can afford on housing. With costs rising, we need to address the housing gap and protect our existing affordable housing stock,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “This new grant provides certainty to organizations building an Edmonton for everyone, allowing them to keep rents down and buildings well maintained.”

The grant announcement took place at Matheson Seniors Housing, which has provided affordable seniors housing since 1973. In 2022, the City approved $950,000 towards a $5.2 million rehabilitation of the site through the Affordable Housing Investment Program to ensure low-income seniors can receive affordable housing for decades to come.

"This new grant program provides certainty and stability to our organization, which is exactly what we strive to provide to our residents,” said Rob Appleyard, Executive Director, Brentwood Community Development Group. “Housing is the foundation of community, and these grants will help us to continue building a high quality of life for low-income seniors, families and people living with disabilities.”

Apart from a few exceptions, affordable housing is taxable under provincial legislation. In the past, City Council granted exemptions on a case-by-case basis. These affordable housing exemptions are vulnerable to appeal, however, since private rental spaces fall outside provincial non-profit exemption rules.

The grant creates an even playing field for organizations offering housing for Edmontonians who would otherwise pay more than 30 per cent of their income on housing. Instead of difficult decisions about increased costs, organizations will be able to keep rental rates low, reinvest in maintenance and make future development plans.

“We are very pleased that the City of Edmonton is providing us with this grant to offset the municipal portion of the property taxes we pay on affordable homes owned by Civida,” said Gord Johnston, CEO of Civida. “Civida will reinvest these funds in repairs and upgrades such as new flooring, new appliances, new lighting and new paint, among other items, to benefit Edmontonians who live in these approximately 900 homes across the city. We also look forward to continuing to reinvest these funds as they are made available in future years.”

“We are pleased to see this grant, which will increase housing security for people in need who are living with a mental health concern,” said Gail Haynes, Senior Director of Programs & Operations for CMHA Edmonton. “We know that one in three households that include people dealing with a mental health or addictions issue are in Core Housing Need. Reducing costs and increasing affordability will ensure more people can access affordable housing and stay in their homes.”

“Non-profits do an amazing job working with Edmontonians to ensure everyone has what they need to thrive,” said Erin Rutherford, Councillor Ward Anirniq. “This grant is an acknowledgement of the great work these organizations are doing in our city to support affordable housing.”

The City is actively encouraging interested non-profit organizations to apply for the grant, as there may be opportunities to formalize affordable housing agreements to reflect existing offerings. The new online application process will be administered directly by the City which, at its discretion, can waive future annual applications. The grant covers 100 per cent of municipal taxes for eligible units, but does not cover provincial education tax assessed as part of the annual property tax process.

Eligible residential units must be owned by a non-profit or be part of a partnership in which a non-profit entity owns at least half of the property.

For more information:
Program Guide
edmonton.ca/affordable-housing-tax-grant

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton councillors approve sale of 2 plots of land in Quarters to affordable housing developers

By Stephanie Swensrude

https://globalnews.ca/news/9520645/e...land-quarters/

Any update on the sale was to?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 2:12 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 8:54 PM
Community Guy

Vacant office to transitional housing? Maybe.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...box=1689085518

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 7:46 PM
Community Guy

Council gives final approval for new affordable and supportive housing
October 4, 2023

City Council gave final approval today for new affordable and supportive housing for vulnerable Edmontonians, newcomers and people with disabilities.

The two developments—City-led supportive housing in Holyrood and Right At Home Housing Society’s Legacy project in King Edward Park—received $15.4 million in funding through the federal government’s Rapid Housing Initiative. Council approved $12.6 in new and previous contributions from the City’s affordable housing reserve for the projects; the Government of Alberta also contributed $4.9 million.

“The challenges of housing affordability and houselessness are too great for the City to meet alone. All three levels of government have come together to provide affordable housing and support for Edmontonians who need it most. This is a positive sign of things to come, and I look forward to continuing down the path of collaborative leadership with my government partners as we work to build an Edmonton for all of us,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi.

Council also approved the sale of the Holyrood site to Homeward Trust for $1. The City is leading construction of the 4-storey, 63-unit building, which will include 12 barrier-free units for people with disabilities. It is being designed by GEC Architecture, the firm that designed the first five City-led supportive housing sites, and constructed by Synergy Projects. Once the building is complete, it will be transferred to Homeward Trust, which will select a non-profit agency to run the supportive housing program. Tenants will be matched to the program based on their needs.

Right at Home Housing Society will rehabilitate and add on to St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in King Edward Park, creating two wheelchair-accessible units and nine townhomes for families. Tenants will be referred by local community organizations, including Multicultural Health Brokers, Islamic Family and Social Services Association, and Spinal Cord Injury Alberta.

"The Right At Home Housing Society is deeply honored to partner with St. Paul's Lutheran Church with support from the City of Edmonton, the Government of Alberta, and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation to create perpetually affordable housing opportunities for families and individuals requiring wheel-chair accessible housing. This funding will empower the development and operation of the St. Paul’s Legacy Project, providing crucial affordable housing solutions for our community." - Ahmed Shoaib, Acting CEO, Right at Home Housing Society

An artists’ rendering of new supportive housing in Holyrood.

An artists’ rendering of Right At Home Housing’s Legacy project in King Edward Park.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/supportivehousing

Media contact:
Nicole Thomas
Senior Communications Advisor
Community Services
780-423-5956

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 8:13 PM
Community Guy

City kicks off Housing Month with $16.7 million investment in affordable and supportive housing
November 1, 2023

The City is investing in 276 units of new affordable and supportive housing, including the redevelopment of a historic downtown building.

City Council approved $16.7 million in affordable housing grants as part of the Affordable Housing Investment Program. The funding will help cover construction costs for apartments rented below-market to youth, people with disabilities, Indigenous people and people experiencing homelessness who have recently been discharged from hospital. One of the grant recipients will lead the renewal of the former Downtown YMCA.

“I’m proud to mark the beginning of Housing Month in Edmonton with another step toward addressing houselessness and housing needs in our city. We continue to see our housing partners stepping up with thoughtful and well-designed developments that will meet the needs of Edmontonians most affected by a shortage of safe, adequate and affordable housing,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi.

The Affordable Housing Investment Program provides grants of up to 25 per cent of capital costs for new or rehabilitated long-term affordable housing. It is part of the City’s plan for increasing the supply of affordable housing. With today’s decision, the City has invested $150 million to help create 3,083 units of affordable housing, including 680 units of supportive housing since 2019. Every dollar the City invests attracts another four dollars from other levels of government and affordable housing developers.

“The City’s strategy of acting as an early investor in affordable housing is working. By providing certainty in the development process, we helped create more affordable housing in four years than in the decade before. And those aren’t just numbers on paper—they’re homes for thousands of individuals and families,” said Christel Kjenner, the City’s Director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness.

“Working with City administration on AHIP has been a very seamless and fluid process. We worked hand in hand in achieving the goals set for the program while understanding all the factors that go into a project of this nature. I look forward to working on many future projects with the city on tackling affordable housing,” said Ivan Beljan, Director, Williams Hall Ltd. and Beljan Corporation. “Our goal as a company from day one has always been to reinvigorate neighbourhoods and bring our main streets to life. Today, we have no greater need in the city than to provide affordable housing options to those that require it and give our city a downtown that is welcoming, vibrant and active with residents that actually call downtown home. Through our project at Williams Hall, we hope to achieve both by bringing affordable options to the downtown community and help make our downtown the place we all want it to become.”

“We are thrilled that Edgemont Flats has been approved for AHIP funding. It's no secret that there is a growing need for affordable housing and it's amazing to see the City of Edmonton continue to dedicate funds towards this issue. With the AHIP grant we can build quality homes while offering qualified tenants deep discounts on their rent. This will be life changing for the individuals and families that move into Edgemont Flats,” said David Mitton, Director, 12621665 Canada Association and President, Leston Group of Companies.

“We applaud the City of Edmonton for their unwavering commitment to ensuring Edmonton is a city that has housing people can afford. The City of Edmonton's dedication to providing capital support through the Affordable Housing Investment Program to affordable housing projects like ours is a monumental step toward a more equitable and inclusive future for Edmonton. This program will not only enhance the lives of individuals in need of affordable housing, but it also enriches the fabric of our city,” said Taylor Soroka, Co-Founder & Vice President of Strategy and Engagement, Jasper Place Wellness Centre.

Quick Facts
Applications for the next round of grants open on January 22, 2024. Learn more at edmonton.ca/affordablehousinginvestment.
Grant recipients from the Indigenous Housing funding stream will go to Council for consideration in early 2024.
Affordable housing is rented at below-market rates; subsidy levels can range from rent-geared-to-income to 50 per cent market rent to 90 per cent market rent. Supportive housing is subsidized housing combined with on-site support services.
November is Housing Month in Edmonton. Visit housingmonth.ca to learn more.

For more information:
Backgrounder
edmonton.ca/affordablehousing

Media contact:
Nicole Thomas
Senior Communications Advisor
Community Services
780-220-3328

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton