HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 8:03 AM

By far the quickest way to get to the airport from downtown is to take e 7th. The quickest way from North Central Austin is to take Airport Blvd. Strange how Airport Blvd ended up actually serving the old and the new airports with no need for a name change. 35 to 71 is longer and often problematic with traffic back ups through town.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
Speed limit on Burnet is 45 drove down it last night
And the long-term city plan is to rebuild Burnet with a much lower design speed, which puts it at odds with the idea that you can run LRT remotely fast in that corridor.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Well said. All that I would add is that the FTA models recognize that rail can generate higher ridership in the same corridor than bus. This is thought to be due to a middle class bus stigma, but might also be due to the fact that rail has a smoother, for comfortable ride than buses do.
This is actually mostly due to the fact that rail service is very rarely just the same as the bus service it replaced (or vice-versa); most of the time the rail service has other objective advantages like some sections of reserved guideway that were not available for bus service in the same 'corridor'.

People in aggregate are fairly rational. If you give them a streetcar in shared traffic, they (mostly) won't ride it in larger numbers than they would a bus on the same exact route, because the streetcar is even slower and even less reliable than was the bus. Tourists fall for the streetcar fairy dust; commuters figure it out pretty quickly.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
And the long-term city plan is to rebuild Burnet with a much lower design speed, which puts it at odds with the idea that you can run LRT remotely fast in that corridor.

Yeah you were just wondering what the speed limit was just letting you know they need to rebuild Burnet or atleast re-pave it it's rough up around the Domain

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:38 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 8:37 AM

"Why pick Airport for the pilot? Austin has plenty of other aging central corridors to revitalize – Cameron Road, Burnet Road, and South Lamar come to mind. Riley cited a number of factors that make Airport ideal for form-based planning and redevelopment. The big five: 1) neighborhood and local business support; 2) Capital Metro's Red Line, which runs parallel to Airport and has two stations built along this stretch; 3) the impetus of the Mueller neighborhood; 4) the economic development potential; and 5) the seemingly imminent death of Highland Mall, which in theory could be redesigned as a new live-work-play urban village."

-quote from the the Austin Chronicle article posted previously

I am glad to see that I am not the only person that thinks Airport Blvd. has the potential to become user friendly and more urban in nature. I think the street is a winner long term simply because of location, location, location. I'm not so sure that the presence of the Red Line will contribute much to the mix in the short term. Still, Airport between Lamar and 35 or Mueller is just the most important west to east surface connector in a part of the city that is increasingly central or part of the center. The north side of the road is filled with places that could handle larger scale projects without creating too much opposition from NIMBYS. I hope the city adopts some of the proposals suggested to encourage intelligent design and development in this corridor.

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 11, 2010 at 8:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 8:57 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think this a great idea. It has the potential to be a smaller scale version of what the plan for north Burnet is. In fact, the zoning concept - if used - would make it easier to accomplish than the current zoning scheme (for north Burnet) would.

I took issue with the article claiming that Airport is in the center of an area of over 1 million people... It gives the impression that Austin is small, therefore undercutting the proposal itself. A small city with new urbanist development? Not likely. However, if we say an area of almost 2 million - that being much closer to the truth, and it getting closer daily - it may provide a needed push to the concept.

I mean, seriously... The difference between the two figures is factor of 100%! That is the difference between Tuscon and San Antonio! When we think of good dense development, we don't think of Tuscon.

Also, I count anything south of Anderson, north of Oltorf, and between the two freeways "Central Austin". There are ofcourse areas outside of this boundary that we can make a reasonable argument to include. The area bounded by 35th, the river, and MoPac, certain sections of East Austin, etc.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:29 PM
Closed account

When people refer to Greater Austin's population as "one million" it bothers me as well. The latest estimates (July 2008) had the population at almost 1,700,000, which is 70% larger than 1,000,000. If you're going to round to the nearest million, then obviously 2 million would be correct; although in Austin's case rounding to the nearest million either way is misleading. They should either round to the nearest hundred-thousand, or say something like, "the center of a region which is fast approaching two-million people".

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:32 PM
Closed account

A metaphor:

A friend sets you up on a blind date with a woman. When describing her, he says she's about 100 pounds. When you see her she is obviously much, much larger. In fact she weighs 170 pounds. I would feel very, very misled.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 12:54 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

A lot of people do not consider the fact that it is 2010 not 2000. Even the numbers from 2000 show that Austin was around 1.4 million or so. In that case you could have said over a million at the time, but now we are closer to 2 million.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 1:57 AM
Closed account

According to this data, which is from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Austin metropolitan area has been over a million people since 1995. Since that time, the metro has added 621,045 people, or on average over 47,772 people annually. Yeah, I'd say they're slightly out of touch...

http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/popm00/pcbsa12420.html

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 3:59 PM
Meh

It's so lazy to say or type just one million for the metro. It's not even hard to say or type 1.7 million. It really takes no longer. Of course for the people who don't know the correct number, they do make you mad since they clearly don't know what they're talking about, but still feel qualified to say something.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 11:57 PM

M1 or anyone else that knows--With the amount of money already spent on the red line, how much of 2000 plan and/or the current plan would be in place also taking into consideration the ridiculous amount of time CapMetro is taking.
It seems like if we could just have made the 1st phase of the newer proposal by now we would be sitting in good place.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 12:20 AM
Closed account

I'd guess the MOS (minimum operating segment), along with the rest of the Initial Phase would be completed.

"The initial phase of the locally preferred alternative for light rail development includes 20.0 miles serving a total of 26 stations. This phase includes an 18-mile LRT system, operating along the existing railroad right-of-way owned by Capital Metro from McNeil Road to Lamar at Airport in north Austin, then operating on-street through downtown Austin to Ben White Boulevard in south Austin. The initial phase also includes a 2.0 mile LRT line serving 5 stations from the Central Business District to 5th and Pleasant Valley in east Austin. The 20-mile initial phase is estimated to cost $1,085.8 million (in escalated dollars)."

http://www.fta.dot.gov/publications/...ment_2915.html

Expansions would probably be u/c to extend the "East Line" north into Mueller, and extending the "North Line" northwest to Leander.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 2:35 PM

CM's spent between $120M and $200M on the Red Line so far, depending on who you trust. They promised to spend $45M, promised to seek $45M from the Feds (a lie; they never intended to do so because the Feds would never have played along due to low ridership projections); and have had some overruns, obviously.

The 2000 LRT plan relied on a 50% federal match (not the 80% asserted by revisionist historians) and using ALL of CM's 1-cent sales tax revenue. By now, it'd be practically done. Some (not all) of the problems with implementing the Red Line would likely have been avoided due to the fact that the 2000 plan involved ripping up the old track and putting down 2 new ones with caternary wire (probably NEW signalling at the same time; the caternary structures also allowing for a better system for signalling than the ridiculous hack they're doing now).

If you add up the amount they've spent on the Red Line and the amount returned to local governments via the 1/4 cent plan, they've probably lost about all of the $500M in local money it would have taken to get the 2000 LRT plan done.

The other way to look at it is that the $150M blown just on the Red Line would have been half of the local money required for the city's urban rail line (ballpark $600M).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 5:54 PM

Wow, how sad. Well, I hope we are pushing hard for Federal money on the Urban rail plan and that we can get it on the ballot ASAP. This issue (and other density issues) has really made me think about moving out of here. By the time that the urban rail can be up and running traffic in this city will look truly like that of a big city. San Diego looks better every day.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 8:11 PM

Oh, I left out that CM's trying to spend another couple hundred million bucks (combination local and federal) on double-tracking the Red Line and on the Green Line (similarly useless DMU service to Elgin). For those who think complaining about how useless the Red Line will be is beating a dead horse, CM is still feeding that dead horse; and we don't have enough money to build everything - they will, in fact, prevent urban rail from being built here if they get their way with that money.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:19 PM
Meh

Quote:
Pfluger bridge extension approved

By Marty Toohey | Thursday, January 14, 2010, 11:28 AM

From the City of Austin:
The Austin City Council this morning authorized a contract to extend the James D. Pfluger Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge from Lady Bird Lake across Cesar Chavez Street.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...logs_city_beat

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:38 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
CM's spent between $120M and $200M on the Red Line so far, depending on who you trust. They promised to spend $45M, promised to seek $45M from the Feds (a lie; they never intended to do so because the Feds would never have played along due to low ridership projections); and have had some overruns, obviously.

The 2000 LRT plan relied on a 50% federal match (not the 80% asserted by revisionist historians) and using ALL of CM's 1-cent sales tax revenue. By now, it'd be practically done. Some (not all) of the problems with implementing the Red Line would likely have been avoided due to the fact that the 2000 plan involved ripping up the old track and putting down 2 new ones with caternary wire (probably NEW signalling at the same time; the caternary structures also allowing for a better system for signalling than the ridiculous hack they're doing now).

If you add up the amount they've spent on the Red Line and the amount returned to local governments via the 1/4 cent plan, they've probably lost about all of the $500M in local money it would have taken to get the 2000 LRT plan done.

The other way to look at it is that the $150M blown just on the Red Line would have been half of the local money required for the city's urban rail line (ballpark $600M).
Talk about revisionist history!

IF the the 2000 light rail election had passed (and Al Gore was President from 2001-2008) the world would definitely be a better place today.

IF Cap Metro used the $105 M they spent on the 32 mile Red Line they could have built 3 miles of light rail AT MOST ($35 M/mile) Considering that the 3 miles would have been 100% in street in a highly urbanized area, the utility relocation, street reconstruction, streetscaping and possible property impacts would have added up to a lot more in reality.

IF they received 50% Federal match, they MIGHT have been able to build 5 miles or so ($42 M / mile). Of course, it would be highly unlikely that a 5 mile system would even qualify for New Starts. That would get to somewhere around Koenig Lane, far from any freeway that would feed a park and ride. Who would drive 10 or 20 miles on a freeway only to have to exit 5 miles short of the destination, drive on urban arterials for a mile or two, and transfer to transit for the last 5 miles? The Small Starts program, intended to fund shorter streetcar projects like the City's Urban Rail, but used by the Bush FTA to push BRT over LRT did not exist until 2005.

IF Cap Metro did not have to return $110 M in 1/4 cent funds to member Cities between 2001 and 2004 (a reasonable assumption), they could have built MAYBE 7 to 10 miles of light rail ($61 M to $43 M / mile) IF they received a 50% Federal match. Of course the City would not be able to build Cesar Chavez Esplanade, Brazos Streetscape, 2nd Street Streetscape, Pfluger Bridge Extension, and many other ped, bike and other mobility improvements.

7 miles would get to around Lamar / Anderson, where a relocated North Lamar Transfer Center and Park and Ride would have access from 183. Again, we don't know that it actually would have been eligible for New Starts, since it wouldn't extend very far into suburban commuter sheds.

10 miles would get to around the Pickle Campus, where in addition to strong potential future growth, a park and ride would have access from 360, MOPAC and 183. Again, there is no way to know if it would have been as competitive as the McNeil MOS.

IF Cap Metro had any hope of being able to afford $1 B for the full 18 miles to McNeil, they needed more than a 50% Federal match. Prior to 2000, the FTA allowed up to 80% Federal match for New Starts, but since New Starts is a highly competitive process, the higher the local match, the more likely it would be to get a Full Funding Agreement. But since the Supreme Court didn't award the Presidency to Al Gore, 50% became the maximum allowable Federal Match.

IF you don't believe my estimates, please refer to the comparable costs in the City Urban Rail presentation.

IF Cap Metro stayed the course in 2004 and went into the election with a shorter, more expensive (per mile) light rail line that did even less for suburbanites, and IF the ever-growing number of suburban voters didn't come out to support THEIR war time President, Cap Metro wouldn't even have the $110 M in 1/4 cent funds to make up the match since it had all been committed by then.

As for timing, IF the 2000 vote went our way, it would have taken 4 or 5 years to complete engineering, begin procurement of vehicles, and negotiate a Full Funding Agreement. Only then, could construction, purchase, manufacture, delivery and testing of vehicles begin, all of which would take another 4 or 5 years. If everything went well, we would have been riding light rail in the last year at most. A light rail line authorized in 2004 would barely be under construction by now, even IF they could figure out how to pay for it.

That's a lot of IFs. I wish the 2000 election had gone differently. I'm just about as big a fan of light rail as you will meet. I would have benefitted directly if light rail had passed in ways that I will never benefit from the Red Line. But I'm not so selfish that I don't support other transit investments that benefit other parts of the community. Since nobody has invented a wayback machine yet, the best we can do is support the Urban Rail plan, and push to expand it to benefit as much of the community as possible. I will also continue to support commuter rail improvements and expansion because it will benefit the larger regional community, even if it doesn't directly benefit me.

Last edited by SecretAgentMan; Jan 15, 2010 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 5:49 AM
Closed account

Pfluger pedestrian bridge to be extended
Path will cross Cesar Chavez Street; set be done in early 2011.

By Marty Toohey
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 10:19 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 14, 2010

City spokeswoman Sara Hartley said construction on the extension should start in March.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...ed-179945.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin