HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:58 PM
we built this city

What are the odds they will use real copper on that roof feature as we've seen in the renderings? Please no paint that is meant to look like patina!

They did use real copper for the resized dome for the hotel on the other corner?

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like the Keith Hall assembly process has continued. Not sure what the status of the mansard roof is:

Source

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 10:39 PM

The Keith Hall detailing (I didn't notice the roof, to be honest):

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

I'd never noticed the little art deco "icons" on the attached office building:

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 1:00 PM

Nice pics! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:31 PM

Ah, The Alexander. The Development that has been ongoing since time immemorial. Since "Time Out of Mind", as the English historians would say.

Here's a quote taken from the 17th Century text "Historia Placitorum Coronæ", framed in medieval English of the period:

Quote:
"Tha Alexandeer development hath been antient; as antient as the Free People of England and Parlement itself"

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Ah, The Alexander. The Development that has been ongoing since time immemorial. Since "Time Out of Mind", as the English historians would say.

Here's a quote taken from the 17th Century text "Historia Placitorum Coronæ", framed in medieval English of the period:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 11:03 PM
Honored Member

Thank you to Hali87 for the pictures.

I am quite optimistic about the Alexander proceeding in the near future, especially now that Killam Properties has bought a 50% interest in the Alexander site. Their press announcement indicated a 2015 start of construction: https://www.killamproperties.com/inv...releases/36966 (previously posted). I regularly Google for updated renderings since this small version was previously posted by Jonovision - https://36.media.tumblr.com/530dd81e...8kjeo1_400.jpg.

Maybe the developers are currently working on the construction drawings (does anyone know if there is a way to check if permits have been applied for)?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 12:59 AM

Last I heard they were working on the project delivery method for this project

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 3:44 PM

More info from the rumour mill: Apparently this was supposed to get off the ground after the Citadel hotels/apartment were completed last fall and use the same general contractor crew. Due to problems in the management of that building process, the plan to move them to the Alexander was cancelled.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 2:51 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
More info from the rumour mill: Apparently this was supposed to get off the ground after the Citadel hotels/apartment were completed last fall and use the same general contractor crew. Due to problems in the management of that building process, the plan to move them to the Alexander was cancelled.

That sounds promising though. So perhaps it is just a matter of finding the right general contractor and they are off to the races.

I wouldn't think that Killam Properties would have problems with financing and I assume their 50% partner, Halkirk Properties, would have cash available from their sale of the Brewery and associated offices to Killam Properties.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 6:52 AM
Honored Member

Jonovision posted this image of the Alexander a few months ago, which Jonovision indicated was from a newspaper printed image. I like the design that Jonovision posted in April

I have done Google searches for a more detailed rendering but haven't found one as of yet. Allnovascotia.com had a story recently that indicated that construction might start as early as this month of August.

Does anyone know if the new exterior design of the tower has been approved by the development officer? It is being built through a development agreement so the height should be ok.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I like the design that Jonovision posted in April

Does anyone know if the new exterior design of the tower has been approved by the development officer?
Is that a glass arboretum on the top? That would be very cool. Imagine it lit up at night!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 11:50 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Is that a glass arboretum on the top? That would be very cool. Imagine it lit up at night!
It is hard to say for sure.

I really like this new design. I think it would look good to have the top section lit up at night.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I think its a "seafoam green" roof feature (i.e. meant to be patina'd copper).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 6:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was hoping to find a more detailed rendering but there don't seem to be any that are publicly available. I can still only find materials from 2008 on the HRM website. There are more details though that might not have been posted here yet.

I thought this elevation from the Benjamin Wier House addition was pretty interesting. This mix of old and new is sort of the best case I can imagine for Halifax. The heritage buildings here are real gems (rare on even a national scale; Canada is not exactly overflowing with mid-19th century Italianate mansions) and the additions will add enough density to the area to make it vibrant.

The north and west elevations from the Alexander planning document are worth posting too, although it's not clear how close they'll be to the final result:

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 6:41 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The massing is interesting(ish) but it could really turn out to be a tacky, kitchy POS if the materials and execution aren't excellent. In fact, I fear that this would be quite difficult to pull off.

I don't think the style particularly fits Halifax though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 7:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the proposal is in a bit of a time warp stylistically. It was proposed around 2003 and this material still looks dated. It's not clear that the end product is going to conform to the renderings though. I'd say the opposite is more common in Halifax; developers tend to come up with final drawings that are very different from early renderings.

On the net positive side this is one of the ugliest parking lots downtown. It'll be hard to build something that looks worse.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 3:11 AM

The design reminds me a bit of the Trillium, though I agree with others, that it would look great if the top was lit up bright at night.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 4:20 PM

So no word when they are going to start this one yet. They're still using it as a parking lot so I doubt it's going to be anytime soon

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 12:56 PM

There is now a fence around the lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth