HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:17 AM

Mendocino, CA and environs, and Fort Bragg, CA

My partner's birthday was some days ago and we decided to make this past weekend a 4-day weekend (August 27-30 2021), and did a road trip to Mendocino, and ended up covering a lot of ground. We also went up to Ferndale, but I'm thinking of doing a separate thread for that.

Anyway, here are some random photos of Mendocino, some areas around it, and Fort Bragg.

Mendocino

Photo by me

Photo by me

It's Mendocino County after all.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

When we got here, it was too early to check in to our inn, and it was about lunch time... so we got lunch.

Photo by me

I started off with an albariño.

Photo by me

I got a fish salad... not sure what kind of fish it was. It was good.

Photo by me

And then I got an apricot tart.

Photo by me

We killed more time before check-in, and walked around a bit.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Saw a vintage Ford Model T getting gassed up...

Photo by me

Then I saw another one pull up.

Photo by me

I figure the one on the left is from the 1920s, and the one on the right is probably from the previous decade or something. It had that older look to it with the brass and everything.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

This was for sale. I wonder how much.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

There must've been a vintage car meet-up or something because then a bunch of old cars started zipping away.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Our inn.

Photo by me

Our room.

Photo by me

More exploring.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I took a lot of beach/nature/cliff shots, it's so beautiful. But I'll spare you them.

Then we drove the 9 or 10 miles to Fort Bragg to see what was there (we had never explored it before), and to scope out possible restaurants to eat at.

Fort Bragg

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Then it was...

Back to Mendocino

It was almost dinnertime. We already knew which place we wanted to eat at. But we walked around the town for a bit...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Dinnertime.

Photo by me

We shared an appetizer; Spanish octopus.

Photo by me

My entree was a yellow curry potato cake.

Photo by me

And then for dessert, I had a fig tart.

Photo by me

The restaurant we ate at. And then a walk back to our inn.

Photo by me

Me inebriated and relaxing, while my partner takes a shower. Why do I think this picture looks vulgar?

Photo by me

ZZZZzzzzz...

Photo by me

"There's got to be a morning after..."

Photo by me

There's a bird feeder right outside our room. There were a lot of birds in it but by the time I got my camera, most of them had gone.

Photo by me

More nature exploring.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Hmm, do we wanna go to the tick-infested area, or the lighthouse? I think the latter.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lunch time! Mendocino is small, and the lunch crowd looked too crowded---we didn't wanna wait. So we went...

Back to Fort Bragg

We're from LA, so it doesn't faze us to drive 9 or 10 miles for a meal.

From our earlier excursion to Fort Bragg, we saw a Mexican restaurant we thought might be good. So we went there.

Photo by me

This was a very good margarita.

Photo by me

Tamales, black beans and rice.

Photo by me

A little walk after lunch.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

And then from here we drove about 3 hours north to Ferndale for another adventure. But I'll post those Ferndale pics in another thread when I get around to it...

Here are some pics I took the morning we left Mendocino to start our trek home. It was a nice, cool, foggy morning.

The field by our inn.

Photo by me

All around Mendocino County, I kept seeing these kind of flowers. I'm wondering what they're called.

Photo by me

The Temple of Kwan Tai, one of the oldest Chinese temples in California.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:23 AM
Future God

Excellent set! Thank you for sharing! A few years back my father was working up in Fort Bragg and I went out to visit him once... took a trip down the coast one day while he was working and Mendocino was definitely one of the highlights for me. It felt like no place I had ever been before... it was as if you had just stepped out of a time machine. Had a beautiful lunch at a place called Cafe Beaujolais too.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:25 AM
A Man In Dandism

Nice tour! Hope you enjoyed your stay. Mendocino is a great weekend getaway spot.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:36 AM
them bones

Gorgeous. Was just up there two weeks ago, but we stayed a bit further north in Eureka. We had lunch in Ft Bragg on the way back down at a good Italian place that I cannot remember the name of. Did you make it over to the glass beach?

We spent a day in Ferndale too. The Victorian catalog of commercial and residential buildings is stunning. Looking forward to your thread. I only got shots of the Main Street and then we went out to the beach.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:51 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Photo by me
Lolwhut?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:00 PM
Me?!?

Lovely!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Excellent set! Thank you for sharing! A few years back my father was working up in Fort Bragg and I went out to visit him once... took a trip down the coast one day while he was working and Mendocino was definitely one of the highlights for me. It felt like no place I had ever been before... it was as if you had just stepped out of a time machine. Had a beautiful lunch at a place called Cafe Beaujolais too.
Well what a co-inky-dinky, that's where we had dinner our first night. Our dinner was delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Nice tour! Hope you enjoyed your stay. Mendocino is a great weekend getaway spot.
We did, and it does indeed. It was nice actually staying there too; we'd only been to Mendocino once before, many years ago, and it was only as a day trip from San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Gorgeous. Was just up there two weeks ago, but we stayed a bit further north in Eureka. We had lunch in Ft Bragg on the way back down at a good Italian place that I cannot remember the name of. Did you make it over to the glass beach?

We spent a day in Ferndale too. The Victorian catalog of commercial and residential buildings is stunning. Looking forward to your thread. I only got shots of the Main Street and then we went out to the beach.
We did not make it over to Glass Beach; we spent a lot of time at Russian Gulch, and then after we had lunch in Fort Bragg, we wanted to make it up to Ferndale. Maybe another time; we liked the inn we stayed at, we wouldn't mind making it a semi-regular thing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Lolwhut?
We weren't sure about it either; and then after we got home, I looked it up. Here's an old LA Times article about it: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...AiEeSaugpPuy-k

I'm actually surprised at how old it is; it actually looked kind of modern to us.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 8:02 AM

Took my East Coast parents to Mendocino when they came out to CA to visit years ago and we spent a few days in a B&B there. They were charmed by it as most people are.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:05 AM

Very picturesque!

I have to ask, though, whats with the "skunk" signage in Fort Bragg?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Very picturesque!

I have to ask, though, whats with the "skunk" signage in Fort Bragg?
Quote:
Skunk Train

Originally built in 1885 to transport redwood logs from the rugged backcountry to the coast, the Skunk Train now ferries sightseers to and fro between the waterfront town of Fort Bragg inland to the cowboy town of Willits on California’s North Coast. Two journeys are available year-round: the one-hour Pudding Creek Express, which departs from Fort Bragg and covers a 7-mile round trip, and the Wolf Tree Turn, a two-hour trip which departs from Willits and climbs to the highest point in the line (elevation: 1,740 feet) en route to the redwood-dense Noyo River Canyon.

Riding “The Skunk” is a long-standing family tradition for many Californians, with new generations getting wide-eyed and excited when the conductor bellows “All aboard!” Little ones leave nose prints on the windows as Ole’ No. 45 charges through the 1,122-foot tunnel #2, crosses over 30 trestles, and sends clouds of steam skyward. The steam and diesel-powered trains chug through the lush redwood forests of the California Coast Range, zigzagging along the Noyo River—keep your eyes peeled for deer, egrets, and other waterfowl, and the occasional river otter.
https://www.visitcalifornia.com/experience/skunk-train/

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 4:54 PM
Community Guy

Stunning stuff.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 5:30 AM

Nice pictures! I was wondering about that statue as well.

Nice beach scenery!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

All around Mendocino County, I kept seeing these kind of flowers. I'm wondering what they're called.

Photo by me
These are Amaryllis belladonna. From Wikipedia:

"Jersey lily, belladonna-lily, naked-lady-lily, or March lily, is a plant species native to Cape Province in South Africa but widely cultivated as an ornamental. It is reportedly naturalized in many places: Corsica, Portugal, the Azores, Madeira, the Canary Islands, the Scilly Isles of Great Britain, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ascension Island, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Chile, California, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and the Juan Fernández Islands."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos