HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waimea View Post
It’s not a question. It’s pointing out that you really do care because you continued to gripe about what’s a valid opinion compared to yours. You definitely come across as one of the most pretentious people on this forum.
Please no personal attacks of character. Comrade has contributed substantially to this forum over many years and deserves a bit more respect than this. I appreciate all tastes and like to hear them, and I'm sure Comrade does as well (I'm pretty sure he said as much). As do you too. So I think we've all good.

Because I respect all tastes, I also respect our architectural history, as the many designs among our building stock were the tastes of the architects and developers at the times these buildings went up. Cities are like history museums and it's visually interesting to see so many different styles from the different time periods. I wish there were a little more respect for the old, and I hope the new will enhance and compliment what's come before rather than replace it. That said, I'm not usually too concerned about losing some 1 story buildings, especially on corners (besides zion's bank). For example, I'm more concerned about loosing tavernacle as an establishment than i am about losing the brick and mortar building, especially when it's being replaced with something so substantial.

Last edited by Old&New; Mar 1, 2021 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 2:47 AM

'942 Wash.' project - Residential Demolition (3 houses) 942 - 958 Washington Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Residential demolition permits have been filed for two single family houses in the Central Ninth district.
942 Washington Street
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

and 950 Washington Street.

Both with the description: "Residential home to be demolished to replace with an apartment building."

The project is listed as '942 Wash' which I haven't heard of (likely just a temporary name).

This would make it the sixth active housing project along this single block of Washington Street.

The other projects include:
Under Construction
Washington St. Condos
TAG 945
TAG Fayette

Planned
The Slate
TAG 962

and now '942 Wash.'

This block-long stretch of Washington Street has also seen the recent completion of several other projects as well, including the 'Central Ninth Place' townhouses and the 'Washington Street Townhomes' projects. This leaves only a couple single family houses left on this stretch of the street.

I wonder if we will see actual plans for the project relatively soon or not?
It looks like a third house will also be demolished as part of the '942 Wash.' project.

958 Washington Street

Here is what the site (in purple) looks like:

This makes me think this will be a relatively large project for the area.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:37 PM
Space Magi

95 State glass appreciation post (my picture, from a week ago)

Look at that reflection

State Street is quickly becoming our second urban canyon. Bring on Kensington!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:32 PM

The glass looks great! Does the City have any plans to do anything with State Street to become more pedestrian friendly?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
The glass looks great! Does the City have any plans to do anything with State Street to become more pedestrian friendly?
The City would love to make changes to State Street, from removing traffic lanes, widening sidewalks, adding treets, and so forth.

The problem is that it is owned by UDoT and they aren't to keen on losing traffic lanes on their streets. 4th South is the biggest example of the requirement for keeping the traffic lanes in place, even with Trax running down the center.

This has also been a sticking point with 3rd West from 6th South to Beck Street. SLC would love to shrink it down and make it more pedestrian oriented, especially with all the new development but UDoT doesn't want that to happen.

This is why SLC focused more on development along 4th West as it has more control. 4th West is also the current planned location of the South Davis to SLC BRT corridor.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:34 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Not in the CBD but directly south there is an effort called Life On State that is focused on improving the corridor from 600 S to 900 S. I was there last week and I think there have already been some huge positive changes in that area since 2010.

The final plan hasn't been released yet but here's their preliminary plan (looong image):

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:20 PM

I was admiring the extra visual height the screen at the top of 95 state was making to the building and I got to thinking that the arm on the crane for that building appears to be about 450ft high which is a good visual for the top of Kensington... minus the change in elevation between the two building sites.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:19 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
It’s not a question. It’s pointing out that you really do care because you continued to gripe about what’s a valid opinion compared to yours. You definitely come across as one of the most pretentious people on this forum.
I think you're confused. Again, I don't care if people find my opinion ridiculous. They're free to roll their eyes and laugh at my takes and tell me I am being ridiculous. I won't get offended or make statements about how I am offended - like, it doesn't bother me you think I am pretentious. If that's your opinion of me, so be it.

But that's because I'll happily call out people when I feel like they're being ridiculous - just as you so easily decided to call me out for being pretentious. My whole point was that people shouldn't get upset if someone thinks another poster's opinion is ridiculous...or pretentious. That's literally what triggered my initial response: not even the poster's opinion of the COB but the reaction someone's reply was receiving for calling out the somewhat ridiculous, non-serious nature of their statement about leaving Utah if the COB was ever reclad.

This has nothing to do with what is or isn't a valid opinion and the total reaction and policing of comments where someone thinks that opinion is ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:21 AM
of SLC

I like turtles.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Not in the CBD but directly south there is an effort called Life On State that is focused on improving the corridor from 600 S to 900 S. I was there last week and I think there have already been some huge positive changes in that area since 2010.

The final plan hasn't been released yet but here's their preliminary plan (looong image):

If the city is able to do something nice south of the cbd, why can't they do anything in the cbd? I'm sure there's got to be a convincing argument to get UDOT to be persuaded. There's no way State Street needs 3 lanes each way. SLC gets laughed at because of their super wide streets.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:27 AM

Quote:
If the city is able to do something nice south of the cbd, why can't they do anything in the cbd? I'm sure there's got to be a convincing argument to get UDOT to be persuaded. There's no way State Street needs 3 lanes each way. SLC gets laughed at because of their super wide streets.
I like the wide streets, especially when remembering how much I dislike driving on streets in older cities like DC. It gives SLC an infrastructure advantage IMO.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:53 AM

Chicago also has wide streets. I agree that they need to be more pedestrian friendly but I don't think wide streets are as much of a problem as people think. If nothing else, there are allot of thing we could do with wide streets (adding bike lanes, outdoor dinning, perhaps even developing the medians with retail or residential?) Wide streets could be an advantage.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Chicago also has wide streets. I agree that they need to be more pedestrian friendly but I don't think wide streets are as much of a problem as people think. If nothing else, there are allot of thing we could do with wide streets (adding bike lanes, outdoor dinning, perhaps even developing the medians with retail or residential?) Wide streets could be an advantage.
Development medians into retail and housing? The hell you talking about?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Development medians into retail and housing? The hell you talking about?
Homeless camps

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:32 AM

There was an idea a few years ago about using shipping containers in the center of some streets for retail. This idea could be expanded and used for housing. Have them 2 wide and 4 or 5 high.

I think in the Granary District this would be perfect. I think the retail option would be great for downtown and the surrounding areas as a back fill for areas that didn't get much ground level activation in new projects.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There was an idea a few years ago about using shipping containers in the center of some streets for retail. This idea could be expanded and used for housing. Have them 2 wide and 4 or 5 high.

I think in the Granary District this would be perfect. I think the retail option would be great for downtown and the surrounding areas as a back fill for areas that didn't get much ground level activation in new projects.
You guys are talking about things that were tried (and failed) in 2016. The Kentlands Initiative guys wanted to do retail and housing in the medians. https://www.archpaper.com/2016/01/sa...-wide-streets/. It could have been cool. Sadly, it didn't go anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Homeless camps
That was my thought, haha.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:36 AM

Renderings of the townhomes replacing the older homes on Lincoln that were referenced earlier. And KSL article on group opposing it. Tried to post picture but couldn't figure out how to size it right.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50117069...or-new-complex

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:15 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=Atlas;9204194]Not in the CBD but directly south there is an effort called Life On State that is focused on improving the corridor from 600 S to 900 S. I was there last week and I think there have already been some huge positive changes in that area since 2010.

I think this is a great starting point.

My suggestion would be to expand this concept down to 21000 South.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:35 AM

'Community' Pushback to Kozo House

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West