HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 8:12 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2022 in BATH, England

Bath is a very worthwhile day trip from London, with the train taking only 1.5 hours from Paddington. The city is very walkable and getting around on foot is the best way to explore the historic centre's architectural highlights. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bath is famous for its hot springs that was already known during the Roman period. By the 18th century, it attracted the upper echelons who came here to have a good time, and the city's grand architecture was built to reflect its affluence.

This is my second visit to Bath. The first one was ages ago on a coach tour that bundled with Stonehenge as well, while this more recent visit was by car and stretched to 2 days, incorporating Bristol as well.

Stop 1 - Bath Abbey

Next up - Bath's grand residential architecture

For more, visit my website : Bath Photo Gallery

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:48 AM
Hong Kong

Stop 2 - Bath stone architecture

Bath's golden age came in the 18th century when Palladian mansions and Regency townhouses were built using local stone. The architecture has been retained and it is an easy walk to these 3 clusters. King's Circus was designed by John Wood (the elder) and construction began in 1754. There are 3 curved sets of townhouses that form a circle.

The 500-foot-long Royal Crescent was built between 1767 and 1775 with a beautiful lawn set against the terrace houses.

In contrast, the back side doesn't look so appetizing or grand.

Cavendish Crescent is located uphill from the town centre with townhouses dating from the early 19th century designed by John Pinch.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:39 PM
Hong Kong

Stop 3 - City Tour

Bath has a lot of Georgian architecture that reflects its heyday in the 18th century when this was a fashionable place to be in. Local entrepreneurs tried to make Bath one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, with Richard 'Beau' Nash playing a pivotal role in shaping that dream.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

In contrast, the back side doesn't look so appetizing or grand.

Thank you for exposing the rarely-depicted backside of these crescents!

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 5:25 AM
Hong Kong

Stop 4 - A Panoramic View

A short drive across the river and uphill, Alexandra Park offers a free panoramic view of Bath. The one-way street around the park opens up to the view and you can park for free up to an hour.

For more, visit my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/bath.htm

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:39 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
This makes me miss Bath... I loved it there.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos