HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 9:08 PM

Bring back Beaver Lumber!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:51 AM

Grim writing on the wall for the downtown Bay

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...565245762.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:45 AM
BANNED

So today a female liquor store employee is seriously assaulted leading to the closure of the store for the foreseeable future. Of course this store is continually robbed and yet was kept open for reasons unknown, utterly ridiculous that bars can institute policies for vetting patrons through the use of photo ID but MLCC stores can’t.

Hate to bring up the elephant in the room about who is committing the majority of the thefts but it all stems to a cultural sense of entitlement.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So today a female liquor store employee is seriously assaulted leading to the closure of the store for the foreseeable future. Of course this store is continually robbed and yet was kept open for reasons unknown, utterly ridiculous that bars can institute policies for vetting patrons through the use of photo ID but MLCC stores can’t.

Hate to bring up the elephant in the room about who is committing the majority of the thefts but it all stems to a cultural sense of entitlement.
From what I saw in the news conference (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...dent-1.5367472) it looks like the MLCC are putting in the same access controls as most bars starting with Tyndall Park when it reopens.

It sounded like this change to store access was scheduled to be announced next week but the announcement was moved to last night due to the incident.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:24 PM

There's no other way. I'll gladly show my ID if it means stopping this BS from continuing.

There should be a vestibule with the interior door locked. It only opens once your valid ID is placed into the scanner which logs video of your ID and of you standing in front of a camera. Just like the bar scanners. This being done after the door person checks that's it's actually you. Does the exterior door lock before the interior door is opened? This would prevent large groups of people from rushing the store. Piggy backing on a legitimate customer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:45 PM

Sadly, this might be the best way to really cut this stuff out. Unfortunately, it will lead to some inconveniences for customers, and some big line ups at busy times I'm sure, especially with the holidays coming.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:59 PM

^ Something has to be done. It is not at all surprising that near-total impunity for theft has now led to violence. And it’ll keep getting worse until the line is drawn.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:18 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Something has to be done. It is not at all surprising that near-total impunity for theft has now led to violence. And it’ll keep getting worse until the line is drawn.
It will keep getting worse until our loser mayor and premier finally come up with a plan to deal with our drug crisis. I am beyond disgusted with the leadership in Winnipeg and this province. No one developed a plan and there is no immediate plan to come up with some tenable solutions to deal with it. How about a task force that looks at what other cities are doing to deal with their crises and see what works and what doesn't? I'm just so tired of this "sitting on our hands" and hoping it goes away mentality. Health care workers and police services have been saying for years that this was going to get out of control- I've been hearing it for about 5 years in my own job from health care workers. And yet, here we are.

Sorry, just my frustration coming out. End of rant.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Grim writing on the wall for the downtown Bay

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...565245762.html
Appraised at $0... sad indeed.

The sequence of historical construction photos in the article was tremendous though.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:33 PM

Reading between the lines of the WFP story, the massive size and renovation/demolition cost of the building may be the only thing keeping the store itself afloat.

The good news that the store can't really shrink any further... it's gotten about as small as a Bay can get, unless it just becomes an online shopping pickup point, or something like that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Huge mistake by the govt. for not going hard at the first hint of serial liquor store thefts from MLLC outlets, Pallister has to take much of the blame for letting this spiral out of control to the extent that it has!

The current prov. govt. deserves a big fat F when it comes preventing liquor store theft!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
It will keep getting worse until our loser mayor and premier finally come up with a plan to deal with our drug crisis. I am beyond disgusted with the leadership in Winnipeg and this province. No one developed a plan and there is no immediate plan to come up with some tenable solutions to deal with it. How about a task force that looks at what other cities are doing to deal with their crises and see what works and what doesn't? I'm just so tired of this "sitting on our hands" and hoping it goes away mentality. Health care workers and police services have been saying for years that this was going to get out of control- I've been hearing it for about 5 years in my own job from health care workers. And yet, here we are.

Sorry, just my frustration coming out. End of rant.
Solid post and bang on for truth!

I voted for Pallister but seriously his govt.'s job performance in its entirety rates about a C-

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Huge mistake by the govt. for not going hard at the first hint of serial liquor store thefts from MLLC outlets, Pallister has to take much of the blame for letting this spiral out of control to the extent that it has!

The current prov. govt. deserves a big fat F when it comes preventing liquor store theft!
I find it surprising that a Pallister led government has been so slow to tackle this issue. I mean, this would be a soft response even by Selinger NDP standards.

Anyway, I don't think this is necessarily a drug-related issue. I don't get the vibe that meth addicts are doing this to support their habits. This is just a bunch of riff raff learning that they can help themselves to free booze and nothing is going to happen to them.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:37 PM
BANNED

if anyone read the article, the incident also happened outside the store in the mall and parking lot. should we have police checking ID’s at every mall? at checkpoints all over the city? Again, you are al just advocating a position the police are telling you to - more policing - while ignoring that increased funding and toys for cops have actually led to a rise in crime.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:40 PM

The main point here is liquor store robberies. To combat that issue, what's being proposed seems reasonable. There would be no incident in the mall if the liquor store was secure.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
if anyone read the article, the incident also happened outside the store in the mall. doesn’t necessarily seem related to a robbery, the police is just using the media to suggest that. should we have police heckling ID’s at every mall?
The thieves most certainly held up the liquor store. There is video of one of them cold-cocking a small female employee.

What are you suggesting, that because it spilled out into the mall that MLLC shouldn't bolster its security measures?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:43 PM
BANNED

just reinforcing the idea that we aren’t going to police our way out of this mess

I don’t think this is just “riff raff being riff raff”, there are social and personal issues that leads to things like this. it’s a warning sign that we live in a very unhealthy society, but people aren’t ready for that convo it doesn’t seem.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:45 PM
jammon member

Quote:
I find it surprising that a Pallister led government has been so slow to tackle this issue. I mean, this would be a soft response even by Selinger NDP standards.

Anyway, I don't think this is necessarily a drug-related issue. I don't get the vibe that meth addicts are doing this to support their habits. This is just a bunch of riff raff learning that they can help themselves to free booze and nothing is going to happen to them.
It's feeding addiction. I agree- they get away with it because they can, but the violence is definitely correlated with the crystal meth crisis. People are becoming desperate and unfortunately, out of touch with reality. Gangs are seizing these opportunities to get people more addicted and then we see the spike in crime. This province also has the weakest shoplifting laws in all of Canada and a police force that doesn't really have the tools or the drive or the laws to back it up and a justice system that can't handle the increasing workload.

When it comes down to it, it's massive systemic issue that has no one solution, but I firmly believe if we can get the Meth crisis under control it will definitely drive crime down.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
just reinforcing the idea that we aren’t going to police our way out of this mess

I don’t think this is just “riff raff being riff raff”, there are social and personal issues that leads to things like this. it’s a warning sign that we live in a very unhealthy society, but people aren’t ready for that convo it doesn’t seem.
That's a real left wing cop out, being poor doesn't necessarily make anyone a criminal. What criminals know here is that they can get away with pretty much anything because there is no deterrent.

When a POS walks up and punches a woman in the face there are bigger issues and socio economic isn't one of them!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's a real left wing cop out, being poor doesn't necessarily make anyone a criminal. What criminals know here is that they can get away with pretty much anything because there is no deterrent.

When a POS walks up and punches a woman in the face there are bigger issues and socio economic isn't one of them!
nope I agree. I’m not saying people shouldn’t be held responsible for their actions. but all of the solutions suggested are reactive - we need to figure out how to stop people from even going out and considering these things, not having police checks all over the city just in case. I know people are worried about creeping authoritarianism, well, a city that is constantly patrolled and check pointed is just that. we need to empower people and communities to hold themselves and each other responsible, not through fear of force by the state.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan