HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:46 PM
What could go wrong?

This is where it has to be infuriating for the City of Winnipeg. They have plans, active and sitting on shelves looking for funding. When the Feds offer up a pot of money that meets the needs of these plans (Water and Waste, Transit, etc) but needs to be shared by the City and Province, what are they to do?

I do get the fiscal responsibility the Province has, especially during this pandemic, but the Province and City need to keep plugging ahead towards the future. That money we are leaving on the table in Ottawa will just end up going to another jurisdiction so they can move forward.

Where is the mad, frustrated face thingy...
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This is where it has to be infuriating for the City of Winnipeg. They have plans, active and sitting on shelves looking for funding. When the Feds offer up a pot of money that meets the needs of these plans (Water and Waste, Transit, etc) but needs to be shared by the City and Province, what are they to do?

I do get the fiscal responsibility the Province has, especially during this pandemic, but the Province and City need to keep plugging ahead towards the future. That money we are leaving on the table in Ottawa will just end up going to another jurisdiction so they can move forward.

Does anyone know what % of provincial revenue gets spent on the City of Winnipeg? I get that they need to spend their revenue across the province, and that they have some pretty big expenditures outside of the "usual" infrastructure of roads and bridges. Flood mitigation, for example, must eat up a big chunk of the budget some years. That being said, over half the population of the province lives in Winnipeg. Does the city get 40% of provincial sending? 30%? Anyone know what is average?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Does anyone know what % of provincial revenue gets spent on the City of Winnipeg? I get that they need to spend their revenue across the province, and that they have some pretty big expenditures outside of the "usual" infrastructure of roads and bridges. Flood mitigation, for example, must eat up a big chunk of the budget some years. That being said, over half the population of the province lives in Winnipeg. Does the city get 40% of provincial sending? 30%? Anyone know what is average?
Manitoba is at 1.35 million, Winnipeg 825K and yes Winnipeg should get it's share but those living in Winnipeg do use all provincial roads!

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:12 PM

Also important to factor in GDP. I imagine Winnipeg GDP production outpaces the rest of the province. Also, Winnipeg enables a huge amount of GDP production for the rest of the province. Also, most of the province has to come to Winnipeg for many different services. Even add tourism onto this – I doubt many out-of-province tourists are coming here to go to small towns and rural attractions, but many coming to Winnipeg may take a day trip somewhere nearby.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Sheesh, Deacon's corner improvements low bid came it at just under $8m. Pricey lipstick. I know improvements are needed....I bet $25-$35m gets you a grade separation.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Sheesh, Deacon's corner improvements low bid came it at just under $8m. Pricey lipstick. I know improvements are needed....I bet $25-$35m gets you a grade separation.
There's a lot of road rebuild in this job. 6000 cubes of concrete, new traffic signals. You're right, kind of a waste. It locks out an overpass for 30 years too.
Rail coordination would add a little bit to your overpass number also.

I wonder if the low bidder will get the award...

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 9:26 PM

$8M !!!

Yikes...

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 9:29 PM

All that concrete paving is what drove the cost up. But it needs to be done..

Man seriously, just bite the bullet and build the interchange.. Figure it out.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
All that concrete paving is what drove the cost up. But it needs to be done..

Man seriously, just bite the bullet and build the interchange.. Figure it out.
Come on man, you’re old enough to know “half assed” is how we do things around here!

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:46 AM

Can we change that please. This isn't China haha.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:19 AM

A bunch of people should get together and contact the province to express our concern for the need of an interchange here. This is like going backward why would you reconstruct a intersection that warrants an interchange???

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:37 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
A bunch of people should get together and contact the province to express our concern for the need of an interchange here. This is like going backward why would you reconstruct a intersection that warrants an interchange???
If the provincial government ever bothered to listen to what people wanted in terms of infrastructure, we'd have interchanges at every busy rural intersection in the province as well as interstate standard highways on the TCH and 75.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
If the provincial government ever bothered to listen to what people wanted in terms of infrastructure, we'd have interchanges at every busy rural intersection in the province as well as interstate standard highways on the TCH and 75.
There really is no excuse for our TCH not to be up to US Interstate standards, none whatsoever.

Federal priorities have been misguided for about 40 years, Canada could afford a national freeway but spending went to many places where it shouldn’t have with nothing to show for it!

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
There really is no excuse for our TCH not to be up to US Interstate standards, none whatsoever.

Federal priorities have been misguided for about 40 years, Canada could afford a national freeway but spending went to many places where it shouldn’t have with nothing to show for it!
Exactly! Every country I see on google maps has some kind of fully freeway standard roadway. What’s our excuse?…

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:36 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Exactly! Every country I see on google maps has some kind of fully freeway standard roadway. What’s our excuse?…
I recall reading somewhere that Winnipeg was the largest city in the developed world without any sort of free-flow corridor anywhere in or near it. I'm pretty sure it's applicable in the developing world as well.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:12 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Drove by the construction project on Highway 59 north over the floodway.

Wish I took pictures (I was in the passenger seat), but it seems they're progressing with the bridge supports, and are also getting ready for lane detours.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I mean, Jamboni started a petition (using 1 & 16 as a trigger) a while back and that doesn’t seem to go anywhere.

Ps: I don’t know if Kinew will be the type to listen, either.

Quote:

Meanwhile in Ontario... we still have a long long way to go.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:52 PM

I have zero expectation that the TCH will be improved to US Interstate standards in my lifetime.

I'd settle for simply replacing traffic lights on that highway with interchanges... that seems ambitious enough.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have zero expectation that the TCH will be improved to US Interstate standards in my lifetime.

I'd settle for simply replacing traffic lights on that highway with interchanges... that seems ambitious enough.
Unless there is societal collapse or complete automation of transportation, the next 30 years would hopefully see this in Manitoba:

Freeway the entire Perimeter, incl. St Norbert and Headingley Bypasses
Oakbank corridor gets built
Removal of light controlled intersections on Hwy 1 with interchanges, and any intersection needing improvements will be upgraded to interchanges right away rather than a couple decades stint with lights
Bypass Morris on 75, interchanges at 210, 305, 23, and 14.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:

What is it that you “get” about the fiscal responsibility the province has? They have none. Pallister is busy cutting taxes and signing tax rebates at a time when the deficit is soaring and tax revenues are needed. And he is not taking advantage of federal dollars that are available for his own political reasons, largely to the detriment of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan