HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 8:36 PM

[Halifax] Aurora & Eventide (1540 Carlton) | ? m | 8 & 6 FL | U/C

Source: Urban_Halifax @ flickr.com
- Originally from HRM Panning (Case 18270)

Carlton Terrace
5885 Spring Garden Road, Halifax
64 METRES
20 FLOORS
HRM Planning Case #18270
Killam Properties (Developer)
Michael Napier Architectures Ltd
Completion slated for 2017

2013.08.02 - Project Information Made Public on HRM Planning's Website
2013.09.11 - Public Information Meeting
2014.01.27 - District 7 & 8 PAC Recommendation (against project)

The corner of Carlton Street & Spring Garden Road may be getting a new high-rise in a few years!

Genivar is proposing a 20-storey rear addition to the existing 11-storey residential building at 5885 Spring Garden Road. This will sit adjacent to Camp Hill Cemetery and replace the current parking lot for the tenants. Also a restaurant is proposed along Spring Garden Road.

Case 18270 Details
Site Plan
Rendering
Google Maps - Streetview

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jan 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 9:31 PM
we built this city

What a beauty!

I hope this one gets built... but alas, there will be opposition for sure.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
What a beauty!

I hope this one gets built... but alas, there will be opposition for sure.
That cemetery is very low rise, less than 1 story. We surely would not want to cast a shadow over the tombstones.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 11:20 PM

I predict that Joseph Howe will write from his grave a opinion letter stating how a high-rise should not cast a shadow over his permnament house.

Another famous resident there (Alexander Keith) will likely be too drunk too notice the difference.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 2:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one's been in the works for a long time. The previous incarnation was only 12 storeys.

I really like the idea of the Spring Garden Road restaurant addition. I hope one day a similar addition is proposed for the retaining wall and parking lot in front of the apartment building that's at a 45-degree angle to Spring Garden Road, just past Tower Rd/Martello. The building on Summer Street needs a similar treatment but it's a condo so I don't know how likely that is.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 7:25 AM

Looks fantastic, both the tower and the restaurant.

I totally agree with you re. those buildings with huge setbacks from SGR. Would love to see something on the corner of Summer, which is basically just a fenced-off front lawn. It would help define the Public Gardens nicely. I wonder if there's underground parking there.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 2:25 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
That cemetery is very low rise, less than 1 story. We surely would not want to cast a shadow over the tombstones.
Yes, its not "fitting" with its "surrounding residents"... think of the "dead children"!

In all seriousness, if this isn't approved... Halifax is out of control... the building is next to 5 "towers". http://binged.it/16qVf5Z

Watch the opponents pull some shit about respecting the cemetary or the residents of the existing buildings being the ones trying to shut it down.

Its a freaking parking lot!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Maybe this will be ready about the time I retire.

I used to troop through the Camp Hill Cemetery all the time when I was in med school. It was a great shortcut to the (then) Camp Hill Hospital. A lovely spot in the center of the city.

I personally wouldn't mind the neighbours very much at all. They're very quiet from what I understand.

I wonder how much the units will go for?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 4:51 PM
we built this city

I'd say alot... but this development looks like it is worth it!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Another famous resident there (Alexander Keith) will likely be too drunk too notice the difference.
The shade in the afternoon will help make his hangovers easier to bear, for sure.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 9:24 AM
we built this city

It says this is an "addition". Does this mean it falls under different planning rules? I hope this one can sneak by the crazies.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It says this is an "addition". Does this mean it falls under different planning rules? I hope this one can sneak by the crazies.
We wish but no. The details page say it needs a DA so it'll follow the standard PIM & PH procedure.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 5:47 PM
Honored Member

Reading the case details on the halifax.ca website - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case18270Details.html - the following statement seems somewhat misleading:
There are various municipally registered heritage buildings in the area including the Garden Crest Apartment which directly abuts the subject property and is also a provincially registered heritage property.

However, looking at the Bing Maps Bird's Eye view there is already a highrise between the Garden Crest Apartment at 1544 Summer Street and the new 20 storey proposal. I took a screen capture which illustrates this below. It is also noteworthy that only the facade of the Garden Crest Apartment building is original (http://www.halifaxhistory.ca/GardenCrest.htm).

This looks like a very desirable location. So I think that if it gets approved there is a good chance of it being built in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 6:15 PM

From the heritage perspective - there should be no impact to the heritage building on summer. The existing high rise will block it out. I'm sure friends of the Public Gardens and friends of the Dead will come out for the park/cemetery though

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 9:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

"Friends of the Dead" - I like it!

I can hear it now - "but think of all the corpses......"

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is also noteworthy that only the facade of the Garden Crest Apartment building is original....
And is that even really the case? I seem to remember what they were able to salvage from the original building and it was just some pieces of timber that are not even exposed to the elements.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
And is that even really the case? I seem to remember what they were able to salvage from the original building and it was just some pieces of timber that are not even exposed to the elements.
Yeah, that entire thing was a total sham and symptomatic of the problems we face trying to get anything built in this town.

The Garden Crest was a fire-trap dump that had one slightly unique but highly questionable feature. It had open balconies. When the property was proposed for redevelopment, the usual suspects threw a fit and ultimately the compromise that was reached was to replicae the look of Garden Crest in a totally new building. I have been in that building and, frankly, it sucks. Low ceilings, dark rooms, not enough windows. You would never build something like that if you had a choice. And, of course, it is far shorter than it should have been. Overall, simply a disaster.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 8:30 PM
we built this city

Are there heritage houses across the street and up the corner... but really, does it matter given the tall buildings in proximity?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 3:19 PM

I see this as a nice project with no negative ramifications whatsoever. Of course it will have to go through the usual due process, but I will be surprised if it isn't approved.

It will be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 8:49 PM

Public Information Meeting will be held on September 11th!

Unfortunately I don't fly in until the morning after so I won't be able to see the entertainment!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth