HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:11 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:49 PM

This totally kicks butt in overall aesthetics, and I hope it moves forward. I am anxious to see what the skyline looks like in the near future when observed from the 403 as it comes down to the city from the mountain. It's certainly going to look denser with all of the new projects going up...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:30 PM

This is going to be awesome

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:08 PM

Appearing in urbanicity

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Busy time for Hamilton renders.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:36 PM

Build it, build them all...eventually the people who don't wanna spend GTA money will be looking for more places to go to that are closeby...

That render looks great, and I hope this one moves forward...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:46 PM

HQ Renderings!

Source

Source

Source

Source

Larger Sizes:

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 8:36 PM
Hammer'd

This might just be worth losing 3/4's of the church if they build it promptly and it's done to high standards.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:20 PM

I have to say. I like it. A lot.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:35 PM
arf

Surprisingly groovy. Not a huge fan of the balconies, but the bottom is quite interesting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:03 AM
Ham-burgher

Nice building, but interesting choice of background. Our "mountain" has become mountains! A vision of the future?
(took a closer look after noticing the building on the right in the smaller version, then realizing the whole background didn't match up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
HQ Renderings!

Larger Sizes:

Source

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Nice building, but interesting choice of background. Our "mountain" has become mountains! A vision of the future?
I guess they will need to put all of that dirt they will be excavating for all of the new buildings somewhere!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 2:07 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I thought I didn't recognise those buildings. I sort of hope something like the one on the far right background gets built. It looks nice.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 3:32 PM

facebook.com/connolly - "We are Getting ready to release our #beautiful building to you soon! With a #luxury interior, #eco technology, #sustainable living, and a pristine blend of old and new" - September 22, 2014

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 2:12 AM

It's a great thing for downtown, but I find it to resemble a damn Lego block.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:15 AM

http://joeycoleman.ca/2014/10/22/jam...medium=twitter

The full formal planning application for the redevelopment of 98 James Street South, the former James Street Baptist Church, is presently in the public comments phase following the submission of the full application from Stanton Renaissance to the City of Hamilton.

The proposal is for a 30-storey mixed use tower with 3 storeys of commercial at the base, and 27 storeys of residential condominiums consisting of 259 units. The building will have 98 spaces of parking for the units using a parking stacker underground and proposes including 4 car share spaces.

Today, I received a copy of the documents submitted on CDROM and have uploaded them to my server for you to read. (I haven’t had a chance to read the documents as of yet, and will not likely be able to do so until after the election)

Members of the public have until November 6, 2014 to submit comment to the City of Hamilton for consideration during the non-public planning processes.

The application will require a full public hearing by City Council’s Planning Committee.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:24 AM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:50 PM

I think our parking requirements are ridiculous, but only 98 spots for 259 residential, plus three storeys of commercial? That doesn't seem like enough.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:12 PM

I'm a big believer in let the market decide. If he thinks he can sell those units with no parking, he also has to convince the bank to finance it that way. If that happens, it's not our problem. I would just worry about the city allowing a parking lot across the street at the Blanchard property because of the demand this adds. If so, fine as long as it's underground.

Also there's a shitload of zoning amendments they're going to have to get through. That's 12 different meetings people can complain at if they have a problem with any of this. This will not be a quick project.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I think our parking requirements are ridiculous, but only 98 spots for 259 residential, plus three storeys of commercial? That doesn't seem like enough.

The death of parking: How condo developers are adjusting to the car-less generation

“That’s not going to work, you can’t do that.”

When Joe Starkman told his development lawyer his plans to build the first condominiums in Calgary without parking spaces, the response was less than encouraging. “All the baby boomers I talked to, at first glance, said ‘you’re nuts.’ To us, that was the right answer,” said Starkman, a developer in Calgary and the owner of Knightsbridge Homes.

Parking spots in big cities in North America are becoming increasingly more expensive: a condo development in New York City’s SoHo neighbourhood made headlines this month for charging $1-million apiece for a space. In Toronto, parking spots in downtown condos cost anywhere between $50,000 to $75,000 each, according to data collected by BuzzBuzzHome; a few years ago, a parking spot at the Four Seasons hit the $100,000 mark.

In Calgary, Starkman says his condo units would skyrocket to $270,000 from $200,000 if he added parking — a price he doesn’t believe his under-30-target market will go for.

“Owning a car is not a priority like it was for [the previous generation],” he said.

A new generation of young homebuyers who don’t own cars is greening the market and developers are starting to take note by adapting how much parking they build.

The road transportation sector accounts for 74 per cent of global carbon emissions and about 24 per cent of Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions, according to Statistics Canada’s latest data from 2010.

Last week at the UN climate talks, Canada reiterated a promise that it would bring its vehicle-emission regulations in line with the United States, the day after more than 300,000 people took to the streets of New York in the largest climate change demonstration in history.

When Starkman’s company conducted market research, over 50 per cent of the under-30s they talked to, he says, didn’t own a car, and nearly 25 per cent didn’t have driver’s licenses.

Other developers across the country are witnessing a similar trend: “Parking is not as important as it was five to 10 years ago when you’re purchasing a condo,” said Rizwan Dhanji, the vice president of sales at Canderel, a development firm in Toronto.

In the past six years, Dhanji’s firm has drastically cut down the number of parking spots they build: a condo building they developed in 2008 had a 60 per cent parking-spot ratio to the number of units in the building, while a project planned to be built just up the street will have a mere 21 per cent parking-to-unit ratio.

Indeed, if Dhanji can’t sell the spots, he says, he’d rather not build them.

“We lose money on every parking space that we build,” he said. “The excavation, the shoring cost, and the forming costs and all that are just adding up and because the sites are so tight, it’s very difficult to go underground in these really small spaces.”

And that’s on top of the ongoing costs to light, heat and ventilate every parking space after it’s built.

Historically, cities have mandated minimums for the number of parking spots a developer must offer to residents within a building, but builders can apply for alternative parking rates for new developments on a site-by-site basis, generally through a zoning bylaw amendment.

Sometimes, municipalities themselves adjust these thresholds to promote public transit or reduce congestion and greenhouse gas emissions, but more often it’s the developers who are ahead of the curve and apply for bylaw exemptions to build below the parking minimums, said Mark Hutchinson, the program director at Canada Green Building Council.

“I’d love to say that the cities are driving this because a lot of cities are trying to take action to encourage lower amounts of parking being provided, but I think that, overall, the market is kind of leading the trend,” Hutchinson said.

Rather than offering parking, Starkman’s Calgary project, N3, is on the transit line and comes with a bike and lifetime carshare service membership with a $500 credit upon purchase.

Brian Persaud, a realtor with Re/Max in Toronto, sees the situation differently. From his experience, he says, people prefer a parking spot if they have a choice, and parking is still a priority for those buyers willing to spend $350,000 or higher on a home.

“Once you get to a certain price range, a condo not having a parking spot makes the condo less likely to be sold — that means the market is still demanding parking spots as of right now,” he said.

This could be for a number of reasons, he says: many older condos for resale have plenty of parking available, and often the people in the market for a more expensive condo have families and a car.

But Persaud added he notices younger buyers are not as concerned about parking because they’d rather save that money and put it into the mortgage.

In the meantime, Persaud said his older clients still want a spot, even if they’re not driving every day.

“I have some clients that do have parking spots and they don’t use their car to the point that when they’re ready to use their car, the battery is dead, so they have to go downstairs and unplug the battery.”

http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/09...f-parking.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton