HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 9:14 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Vegolution, the vegetarian/vegan restaurant that was reported on a while back, now has a location picked out. They'll be going in the former Burgerology/Relish/Reggie's space on Germain Street, and hope to be open by the summer. http://huddle.today/saint-john-veget...gies-location/

Also, a second restaurant is opening at Reversing Falls, in the building that housed Boaz West. Its tentative name is 14 and a Half, and they hope to be open by the end of May. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rism-1.4557809

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 2:29 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Jeremiah's to re-open under new management (two long-time employees have taken over the business): http://huddle.today/jeremiahs-deli-i...n-city-market/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In other news, it's Uptown Burger Week!

I've enjoyed 3 great burgers (and one mediocre burger) so far this week and will be trying another one tomorrow. Hard on the waistline and wallet but oh so tasty...

Burger Week continues until Sunday so still some time to come out and try one (or more) if you haven't yet!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 5:06 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

More bad news for our waistlines (but good news for our tastebuds?) - a new tenant called The Donut Queen Inc, specializing in "deep fried donuts with specialty toppings", is coming to the City Market according to item 5.9 of Monday's Council Agenda.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:24 PM

I had some people in from out of town this week
Had dinner at Italian By Night and East Coast Bistro. Both were very good. However, East Coast was a step above.....excellent.
As I travel extensively, Saint John servers need to be be upgraded. This is a big part of the dining experience.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Saint John servers need to be be upgraded. This is a big part of the dining experience.
Agreed. Food is catching up - ECB is consistently excellent. But service is lagging. Wish restaurants would do more to train their staff!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 11:08 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A new restaurant is opening on Somerset Street where Sarah's Bakery and Cafe used to be (and Robins before that). It will be called The Zesty Lemon and seems to be a bistro/deli sort of place. http://huddle.today/zesty-bistro-ope...e-this-summer/

As an aside, it's interesting that they refer to the location as Millidgeville - for me, Millidgeville doesn't really start until you get past the electrical substation by Boars Head Road.

In other news, Vegolution is now officially open in the former Reggies/Relish/Burgerology spot.

And it's Ribfest this weekend on Long Wharf!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:23 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Uptown Burger Week was last week - I was away for most of it but did make a point of stopping in at Britts for their Peanut Butter Jelly Time burger. A classic!

A new food vendor is opening up at the Market this July, called Naan-Ya Business. They'll be specializing in stuffed naan bread with a variety of Pakistani/Mexican/Canadian influences, and will feature an authentic tandoor oven. Huddle article here: https://huddle.today/hot-out-of-the-...n-city-market/

Another recent opening at the City Market is Chicken By Felix, selling fried chicken and BBQ pulled pork.

And this seemed to fly under the radar earlier this year, but the invasion of Moncton pizza joints into SJ continues with Mama's Restaurant opening up on Fairville Boulevard this past February/March.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
A new food vendor is opening up at the Market this July, called Naan-Ya Business. They'll be specializing in stuffed naan bread with a variety of Pakistani/Mexican/Canadian influences, and will feature an authentic tandoor oven. Huddle article here: https://huddle.today/hot-out-of-the-...n-city-market/
Is that what's going in at the bottom of the market, opposite Java Moose? I noticed this week that they had torn down the old facade from the shop that used to be there.

Quote:
And this seemed to fly under the radar earlier this year, but the invasion of Moncton pizza joints into SJ continues with Mama's Restaurant opening up on Fairville Boulevard this past February/March.
I had no idea! Where on Fairville Blvd. is that?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post

I had no idea! Where on Fairville Blvd. is that?
Mama's is at 800 Fairville Blvd. It's in the strip mall with Fish & Brew Pub, Subway, RBC area.

I've heard it's been packed since it's been opened, I plan on going there soon!

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:54 PM

Might have to try it out for lunch on Wednesday.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Might have to try it out for lunch on Wednesday.
Update: did so. Pretty good pizza; might have to return next week to try the shawarma.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Update: did so. Pretty good pizza; might have to return next week to try the shawarma.
This was also good. The tzatziki especially.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 3:15 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A few SJ restaurant scene odds and ends:

Urban Deli, an Uptown favourite for over a decade, closed its doors before Christmas, presumably so the owners could focus on other endeavours (like Italian by Night, presumably). The building on King Street has been sold and the plan appears to be for a new restaurant in the space called Up Town Eatery featuring the staff of the former deli. Have yet to hear of an opening date or even a web presence for this new concept, however.

Meanwhile, Kebab House on Prince William went out of business and was replaced briefly with The Coop, which went all in on the previous restaurant's increasingly prominent wing concept. Didn't last long, however, and the vacated space is now slated to become the Uptown location of Pub Down Under.

After a crowdfunding campaign to help cover unforeseen renovation costs, Ethel & Mary's is set to open on Princess Street on February 25th, offering up "refined home-style cooking" inspired by the owner's grandmothers.

Finally, it's Chop Chop this week, meaning that there are lots of tasty specials to try at participating Uptown restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:51 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A lot of restaurants are cautiously re-opening their dining rooms as Covid-19 restrictions continue to relax. My partner and I are taking advantage and have selected Italian By Night for our anniversary dinner this weekend. If you're not ready to dine out, consider ordering take out or delivery from your favourite local restaurant as they could definitely use the support during this period.

Here are a few recent-ish tidbits concerning the Uptown dining scene:

A mainstay of Germain Street, Taco Pica closed down permanently last month. I had been hearing rumours about this for quite some time but was still saddened to see it go. This leaves a major void in the Mexican/Latin American category in SJ, having lost Mexicali Rosa's a few years prior. We do still have Toro Taco for quick service burritos and the like, but that's about it.

We finally have some more info on Uptown Eatery - they're slated to open Monday, serving up breakfast and lunch in the space vacated by Urban Deli. Along with a few deli style sandwiches as a nod to its predecessor, it will feature Middle Eastern items, salads and burgers. Their shawarma wrap is definitely going on my to-try list.

Speaking of shawarma, Let's Hummus has been renovating a space at 44 Water Street for a new Uptown location. The existing (tiny) location on Main Street will pivot to handling catering orders and baklava distribution.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 1:27 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Uptown Burger Week is next week! I've already made my shortlist and will be dropping into the 3-4 restaurants I've chosen as long as the pandemic doesn't spike over the weekend.

More info: https://uptownsj.com/blog/2021/04/19...n-burger-week/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:13 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I've heard through the grapevine that some kind of Indian restaurant is going to be opening in the former Thai Pho space at Union and Coburg. Does anyone have more info?

I love Thandi's but have often wished there were more options for Indian food in town, so I'm looking forward to trying this new place out!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
I've heard through the grapevine that some kind of Indian restaurant is going to be opening in the former Thai Pho space at Union and Coburg. Does anyone have more info?

I love Thandi's but have often wished there were more options for Indian food in town, so I'm looking forward to trying this new place out!
I haven't heard about that one but I did hear that an Indian restaurant is opening in the McAllister Place food court to the right of Deluxe French Fries. I think it was mentioned in another thread.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:13 PM

Coffee Mill in Lancaster Mall is closing and apparently won't be re-opening elsewhere.

Only a handful of restaurants on the West side now - Jungle Jims, AJ's, Island Girls, maybe a couple of Chinese restaurants?

Sure would be nice to have a nice casual restaurant over on the West so those folks don't always have to travel East for a bite!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 7:32 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Further to the above - passed by today and indeed, signage is up for India King Restaurant. A quick search confirms that it is under the same chef affiliated with King's Club in Moncton, and their grand opening was yesterday.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Further to the above - passed by today and indeed, signage is up for India King Restaurant. A quick search confirms that it is under the same chef affiliated with King's Club in Moncton, and their grand opening was yesterday.
The same chef Sandy who originally started India King Restaurant in Moncton is in SJ. He had some issues with the other partner in Moncton, and got split and left Moncton and moved to Saint John to open his own restaurant here. Good for us as we all need more variety of food here.

BTW, his food is the real authentic Indian taste, and I would recommend trying his Non-veg or Veg Thali.

https://www.facebook.com/INDIA-KING-114208433690480

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces