HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:24 PM

[Moncton] Shediac Developments

Starting this thread to post information about Shediac, Salisbury, Petticodiac, Memramcook, Bouctouch, etc..

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:35 PM

I heard some rumours this week about some possible developments in Shediac. I've been hearing for some time now that there are plans for a new hotel in the town and in talking with one of the volunteer firemen I found out that the town has approved the plan for a 6 story hotel across the road from the DSS building near Pascal Poirier park. There has been some site preparation work done on that lot, with some older homes being removed and torn down. I'll take a walk tonight and get some pictures to post.

He also mentioned that the town is looking to build their own town hall (the building they are in now is leased and their lease is up in the next year or so) and that if they do build the 6 story hotel and a rumoured 6 story appartment complex that the fire department is going to need a ladder truck and a new building to house this truck as the building they have now will not accommodate it.

They are also starting on work on the arena this spring. The arena has been sinking in one corner so they are taking out the floor and redoing it. There are a lot of people suggesting that all these municipal projects (the city hall, fire department and arena) should be one major project so that we would end up with something like what they have in Bouctouche with the JK Irving Center.

So it looks like there is going to be a lot of development in Shediac over the next couple of years, couple that with the new prison, Sobeys, Canadian Tire, multi-cultural center and the government building next to Tim's (which is open now) there certainly is a lot to talk about in our small little town.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:21 PM

Shediac has always been busy in the summertime, but as a resident, I notice a LOT more off-season traffic too. And home-building is off-the-charts lately. Lots of stuff getting torn down and replaced with mega-cottages. I would like to see a better redundant bypass for "downtown". I know Breaux-Bridge is aimed at that, but it isn't fully connected at both ends. It would be great if it could link up to Ohio.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff benvui. I don't get out to Shediac very often so I didn't know all that was going on.

One thing about Moncton that I have always appreciated is that there are a number of nearby communities (eg Sackville and Shediac) that have their own identity and strong economies. This contributes to the overall prosperity and diversity of the greater southeast region.

I agree with Vorkuta. Main Street in Shediac is the only through street in town (sort of sounds like Moncton doesn't it! ). Traffic congestion especially in the summertime can be a real pain in the ass. Something should be done about it!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:07 PM

Actually, my co-worker and I were talking about the Main st. Problem as well. The towns emergency/evacuation plans call Breaux Bridge to extend all the way to Ohio Rd. As a matter of fact if you look at Google Maps, it already shows it as extending all the way. He was also saying that they are supposed to make a ramp on the west bound lane on highway 15 onto Riverside Drive to allow cars to enter Shediac or leave heading towards PEI and extend Chesley st. to highway 15 with ramps going in the opposite directions. This development would also extend Breaux Bridge and add a traffic light at the corner of Chesley and Main. Alot of this work was supposed to have started by this summer, but obviously hasn't, but hopefully it'll get done because it would make accessing and leaving the town so much easier for residents.

I agree Vorkuta, Shediac isn't just busy in the summer. When I started working out here 12 years ago there wasn't much going on in the winter, but with the recent boom in residential construction there doesn't seem to be as big of a dip in the winter. I know that there were at least 100 new residential permits issued in the past 6 months, and with the new subdivision planned across the road from Tim's, its only going to increase the number of people in the town.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
They are also starting on work on the arena this spring. The arena has been sinking in one corner so they are taking out the floor and redoing it. There are a lot of people suggesting that all these municipal projects (the city hall, fire department and arena) should be one major project so that we would end up with something like what they have in Bouctouche with the JK Irving Center.
I was in Bouctouche a few weeks ago and spent some time in the new JK Centre. It's a great facility and one that Bouctouche desperately needed. Richibucto wants something similar but I can't see the government footing more money for similar projects, especially in places like Richibucto and Shediac where the Irvings may not step up with millions of dollars (and land) like they did in Bouctouche.

I've heard that St.Stephen wants a facility similar to what they have in Bouctouche, albeit for less money. If any new arena wants government money they need to include things like community centres and other recreation facilities. The JK Centre amounted to anywhere between $15-20 Million with contributions from the Feds, Province, Muncipality and the Irvings. Along with this, Bouctouche it turning the old Forum into their Fire Station, among other things. If Shediac were to get a new facility like Bouctouche (Arena, City Hall, Community Centre) perhaps they could turn the Festival Arena into their new fire hall similar to what Bouctouche plans to do.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 8:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a rendering of the new Hotel Shediac which will shortly be under construction in the downtown area of Shediac.

Six floors, 60 rooms and fittings and some furnishings from the original Hotel Shediac that was torn down not too long ago. Opening is scheduled for the Spring of 2013.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 8:44 PM
Our Tide is Rising

^ Looks Awesome!

This coupled with the new town hall and Jean Coutou will really add some density to the core!

Also judging from the Audi and Cadillac shown I presume guests will be in the upper crust of society

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:11 PM

Found these images on facebook, posted by Denis Arsenault of the new Hotel Shediac which is based on the old Hotel Shediac, which I find very cool that they are trying to bring the style of the old Hotel into the new one.

I also like the idea of the veranda on the second floor, which again was taken from the original. It should be a very nice hotel and a great addition to Shediac once complete

All images Credit: Denis Arsenault
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5651418&type=1

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new hotel is certainly an homage to the original Hotel Shediac, only a bit bigger. They have done a good job capturing the essence of the original structure.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 12:27 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

6 stories would make it the tallest building in Shediac by a fair amount, wouldn't it?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
6 stories would make it the tallest building in Shediac by a fair amount, wouldn't it?
There is a seniors complex on Providence that is at least 4 stories talland the new government buildings are 4 or 5 stories also. I'll confirm that on my way home tonight. There is nothing 6 stories in Shediac right now, that is why the Fire Chief is calling for the town to purchase a ladder truck so that they can actually do something if a fire does happen.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:24 AM

Quote:
There is a seniors complex on Providence that is at least 4 stories talland the new government buildings are 4 or 5 stories also. I'll confirm that on my way home tonight. There is nothing 6 stories in Shediac right now, that is why the Fire Chief is calling for the town to purchase a ladder truck so that they can actually do something if a fire does happen.
K, I checked, the seniors complex is 5 stories, the new government building on Main between Tim's and Pizza Delight is 3, the government building across from MFB is 4 stories. In driving around I also found some apartment buildings on Pascal Poirier that are 4 stories.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
K, I checked, the seniors complex is 5 stories, the new government building on Main between Tim's and Pizza Delight is 3, the government building across from MFB is 4 stories. In driving around I also found some apartment buildings on Pascal Poirier that are 4 stories.
Wow, Shediac may actually get a modest... skyline?

Very nice building, by the way. It was sad to lose the original, but it was in pretty bad shape.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:01 PM

That's a nice building...and it's certainly bringing in pieces of what was the old hotel...nice touch!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:37 PM

I heard from a fairly reliable source, that the building's design was currently being revised to be 7 stories in height.

Very Interesting

Image Credit: Denis Arsenault
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5651418&type=1

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 3:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The new regional jail was officially opened in Shediac today.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The new regional jail was officially opened in Shediac today.
You mean "closed" don't you?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 7:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
You mean "closed" don't you?
I guess it depends on your point of view doesn't it....

Now the speculation can begin about what will happen to the old correctional facility on Assomption Blvd. That's a pretty prime piece of property.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I guess it depends on your point of view doesn't it....
Now the speculation can begin about what will happen to the old correctional facility on Assomption Blvd. That's a pretty prime piece of property.
With the one in Shediac closing yesterday, I'm sure the one on Assumption will open shortly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces