HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 10:13 PM

The Source has closed a few of their stores in Nova Scotia within the last week:

Lower Sackville
Scotia Square, Halifax
New Minas
Greenwood

https://twitter.com/HalifaxReTales/s...81710791909377

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 12:31 PM
life in the present

It's official, Simons taking part of former Sears / Eaton's store in Halifax Shopping Centre. Great for Halifax!! Looks to be a smaller format store as they're only taking the 3rd level, amazing anchor for HSC though! Sorry, a bit late to the game, much more on the HSC thread but exciting news!

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...mer-sears-box/

Last edited by connect2source; May 18, 2022 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 1:36 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I wonder for $52 million that they aren't expanding the size of the old Sears store??? They have the room to build out to the back side of the old store, making each level much bigger.... or just even building out the top 2 levels with the roadway underneath... just some thoughts... This would enable a one level, good sized Simon's... They mentioned they are releasing more information on June 16th on the store.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I wonder for $52 million that they aren't expanding the size of the old Sears store??? They have the room to build out to the back side of the old store, making each level much bigger.... or just even building out the top 2 levels with the roadway underneath... just some thoughts... This would enable a one level, good sized Simon's... They mentioned they are releasing more information on June 16th on the store.
It does seem like a lot. I also assume that this is just for the "mall" part. That the individual stores are responsible for furnishing out the newly created empty spaces. You may be correct that that are will be expanded. Would also explain the lengthy construction time.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:57 PM

The photo/rendering in the HSC thread shows the third level entrance to Simons having been reconfigured to include the adjacent mall shop.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
The Source has closed a few of their stores in Nova Scotia within the last week:

Lower Sackville
Scotia Square, Halifax
New Minas
Greenwood

https://twitter.com/HalifaxReTales/s...81710791909377
And now the New Glasgow store is gone. Who will remain by the end of the month?

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
And now the New Glasgow store is gone. Who will remain by the end of the month?
This is the final closure for now… NB got decimated with only 3 stores remaining.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:15 PM

I'm surprised at both New Minas & Greenwood closing. I'm surprised that the combined sales for both couldn't support one store.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I'm surprised at both New Minas & Greenwood closing. I'm surprised that the combined sales for both couldn't support one store.
I'm not surprised that either one closed honestly. The County Fair Mall has basically been on life support for almost a decade as stores gradually close or relocate elsewhere in town. The Greenwood Mall is in better shape, but like The Source in New Minas, the one in Greenwood only ever seemed to be busy during the Christmas shopping season. Add in the fact that they sold overpriced electronics that could be found for cheaper elsewhere, and it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 3:42 PM

the halifax area maybe seeing a new retail center emerge this decade. the elmsdale region. its intering for instance to see the number of walmarts a city has. halifax has 5, winnipeg has 8, london ontario has 4. will halifax be getting it's number 6 soon? and where? elmsdale or tantallon?
check out this link below and read the retail analysis. looks like elmsdale is bringing in the number 6 to the greater halifax areahttps://www.easthants.ca/business/pr...rket-analysis/

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 9:18 AM

I think this is to be expected, as this area is becoming the new 'suburbs' of the city.

Suburban SFH development has cooled off in traditional Halifax, but is stepping up in areas like Lantz, where people are willing to trade off some inconvenience of having to commute to the city for work (or perhaps benefit from the increased ability to WFH) for a break in expense of ownership and the ability to choose housing type vs living in the city where most new development is apartment/condo buildings.

It seems to be following the pattern of most cities as they grow and thus new expanding areas will open up a business case for new retail centres, such as this one.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 10:51 AM

A big part of the growth in places like Elmsdale and Lantz has been due to citizens wanting to shed the yoke of overly heavy-handed HRM bylaws and taxation burdens. Of course now those communities are starting to spend in HRM's infamous style too.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A big part of the growth in places like Elmsdale and Lantz has been due to citizens wanting to shed the yoke of overly heavy-handed HRM bylaws and taxation burdens. Of course now those communities are starting to spend in HRM's infamous style too.
Turns out the things people like about living in a community, like recreational facilities, cost money.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Turns out the things people like about living in a community, like recreational facilities, cost money.
Exactly(:

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 1:41 PM

Halifax Retales is reporting Winners will be opening on the 2nd floor of Scotia Square. Great to see new department store opening again in Downtown Halifax.

Source: Halifax Retales https://halifax.retales.ca/2022/08/quick-update/

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 6:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That rendering has been around for a number of years (note the small addition up the hill, now a proposed tower site). I wonder if this is how the renos will look?

I think Scotia Square has a lot of problems but is also kind of underrated as it has some interesting aspects that get little or no love. That Duke Street facade could be OK and Barrington tower is OK, while it's partly Cogswell that drags down the area.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That rendering has been around for a number of years (note the small addition up the hill, now a proposed tower site). I wonder if this is how the renos will look?

I think Scotia Square has a lot of problems but is also kind of underrated as it has some interesting aspects that get little or no love. That Duke Street facade could be OK and Barrington tower is OK, while it's partly Cogswell that drags down the area.
I think this would be a much better use of Scotia Square. The Bell Aliant space in there never seemed 100% used from when I worked there. Super high ceilings, sprawling floorplan. I assume Winners will be taking over some of that space and Duke St. will feel more lively as a result.

I think Duke would also benefit from a bit of a trimming down & greening up as well. Realistically it could be 1 lane each way with some loading/taxi bays. Right now it's got that Quinpool thing going on - is kind of 4 lanes but isn't really. Aside from busses, I don't think it's much of a traffic route either.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I think Duke would also benefit from a bit of a trimming down & greening up as well. Realistically it could be 1 lane each way with some loading/taxi bays. Right now it's got that Quinpool thing going on - is kind of 4 lanes but isn't really. Aside from busses, I don't think it's much of a traffic route either.
The lane next to the Metro... errr... Scotiabank Centre tends to get blocked up when preparing/loading up for an event (such as a concert), so I'm not sure how much of that would/should be given up. I also don't know what it's like at rush hour these days, but I recall in the past that it tended to be busy enough to use all the lanes at times. I imagine that since Rainnie Dr. has been taken out of the picture it's probably not so busy anymore.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I think this would be a much better use of Scotia Square. The Bell Aliant space in there never seemed 100% used from when I worked there. Super high ceilings, sprawling floorplan. I assume Winners will be taking over some of that space and Duke St. will feel more lively as a result.
Eventually that area will have enough population to have its own local services, like a full-sized grocery store, pharmacy, stores like Winners, etc. It would be nicer to put that stuff in Scotia Square and have finer-grained development around Cogswell than build giant podiums with Winners and Shoppers on the new blocks. We'll see how it goes.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The lane next to the Metro... errr... Scotiabank Centre tends to get blocked up when preparing/loading up for an event (such as a concert), so I'm not sure how much of that would/should be given up. I also don't know what it's like at rush hour these days, but I recall in the past that it tended to be busy enough to use all the lanes at times. I imagine that since Rainnie Dr. has been taken out of the picture it's probably not so busy anymore.
Toward the top at Brunswick the turning lane gets use, but overall the road feels super overbuilt. Similar to Albemarle, it feels super big for what it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General