HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Google Earth recently got new satellite imagery for Halifax. Here's the Spring Garden Road area in August:

There isn't much surface parking left, with the exception of the former infirmary lands behind the library.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Good to see progress on the second Sister Site, and interesting to see the footprint of the developments at Sexton Campus. Anyone know what they're doing in front of the D Building?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:50 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Appearing on Facebook this evening...
Downtown Halifax
Page Liked · Yesterday ·

When the dust has cleared and the machines have stopped – we will be ready to officially open the new and revamped Argyle and Grafton Streets! Downtown Halifax Business Commission is planning a streetscape celebration for Saturday, November 4, 2017.

Get ready for a day filled with fun and entertainment for all ages – and in the evening, it will be time to showcase the nightlife Argyle and Grafton streets have to offer!

#ArgyleGraftonParty

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:06 PM

A lot of progress at Sawmill River. They have cranes on sight now to help lower in the concrete walls and boxes for the new channel.

20171015_105250 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171015_105302 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:55 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I don't have the updated satellite image 😔

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I don't have the updated satellite image 😔
You have to use the Google Earth client then go to "historical imagery". There are more imagery options in there than you would otherwise see, but many of them are poorer quality (including this one posted above).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:32 AM

I would like to share this with you guys:

https://www.facebook.com/events/124013574982283/

I really thought it was a joke when I first saw the name Louie Lawen, Property Developer at Dexel.

Isn't this the guy who applied for demolition permits for 1333,1343,1351 Barrington Street?

Isn't this the same developer who will be demolishing the one of a kind apartment building Coburg Apartments for the Spring Garden West?

Isn't this the same developer who demolished a couple of Italianate style(correct me if I am wrong) buildings for Flynn Flats?

Can someone pinch me? Is this a *ing joke?

Sorry but this really made my blood boil. Maybe someone from this forum can show up and give him lots of shit?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yal View Post

I really thought it was a joke when I first saw the name Louie Lawen, Property Developer at Dexel.

Isn't this the guy who applied for demolition permits for 1333,1343,1351 Barrington Street?

Isn't this the same developer who will be demolishing the one of a kind apartment building Coburg Apartments for the Spring Garden West?

Isn't this the same developer who demolished a couple of Italianate style(correct me if I am wrong) buildings for Flynn Flats?

Sorry but this really made my blood boil. Maybe someone from this forum can show up and give him lots of shit?
It's a really, ah, curious choice. Not as outrageous as Chedrawe, but pretty interesting. I'm almost curious to go just to see what he has to say. I kind of confronted him last year during a heritage committee meeting about the Barrington buildings, and he said his preference at the time was to preserve those buildings, but it depended on what the city could give him for height.

I'm still optimistic on those, but just the fact that he'd apply to demolish, and use as a bargaining chip, buildings that have clearly been designated by the greater community as worthy of preservation...well, you know.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yal View Post

I'm not sure I understand your outrage. If this is truly meant to be productive discussion, not just an echo chamber, would you not want a pro-development perspective to be heard?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I'm not sure I understand your outrage. If this is truly meant to be productive discussion, not just an echo chamber, would you not want a pro-development perspective to be heard?
If this guy wasn't being greasy like this and using heritage properties as bargaining chips, I would be willing to be more open. If there is any developer in this city that should be there, it is the Starfish guy (don't remember the name)

EDIT: I am very very pro-development.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
This sentence is indicative of the whole problem. There's no reason to believe that anyone else on the panel is not pro-development. Pro-development and pro-heritage are mutually compatible categories.

There's also no reason that Lawen, to be a developer, has to be hostile to heritage--except that developing empty lots is somewhat easier for him than working with the existing urban context. And because it's easier, and because our developers are mostly extremely mediocre, that's what happens, and it's to the city's detriment.

That's not an anti-development perspective. It's pro-good development, anti-crap.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
This sentence is indicative of the whole problem. There's no reason to believe that anyone else on the panel is not pro-development. Pro-development and pro-heritage are mutually compatible categories.

There's also no reason that Lawen, to be a developer, has to be hostile to heritage--except that developing empty lots is somewhat easier for him than working with the existing urban context. And because it's easier, and because our developers are mostly extremely mediocre, that's what happens, and it's to the city's detriment.

That's not an anti-development perspective. It's pro-good development, anti-crap.
Well said.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:38 PM

A few more pictures from the Sawmill Creek project.

20171018_135703 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171018_134455 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171018_133910 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171018_132753_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171018_132631_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:23 PM

Anyone know if:
a) The open-top concrete structure is a fish ladder? and
b) If it will be left visible? I assume it will be, or else why put the textured print on it?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 12:08 PM

A rare picture of your tax dollars quite literally being flushed down the drain.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A view from the Alexander:

Source

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Anyone know if:
a) The open-top concrete structure is a fish ladder? and
b) If it will be left visible? I assume it will be, or else why put the textured print on it?
A)Yes, it is part of the fish ladder that will be helping the fish get up to Sullivans Pond. I believe the size of the baffles will shrink as it gets up closer to the pond, but I might be right.
B) This part will be visible kind of. There will be a single span concrete bridge that will cover this to reconnect Octherloney Street. The texture is also found in the bottom sections of the concrete tunnel segments that are being laid under what will be the rebuilt Lock 4 parking lot. The texture is a requirement from DFO which helps to break up the flow of the water allowing the fish to have rest areas as they make their way up stream.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:15 PM

Bell lofts is coming along in downtown Dartmouth. The top floor or two should be visible on the skyline as you come in on the ferry.

20171027_100040 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171027_100130_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 9:16 PM

Progress on the Sawmill Creek daylighting.

20171027_100613 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171027_100934 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171027_100944 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Bell lofts is coming along in downtown Dartmouth. The top floor or two should be visible on the skyline as you come in on the ferry.
Anyone seen info on leasing? This building is mighty interesting to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth