HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 1:22 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
The number crunchers fail to see other environment factors.
You're right that it's important to control for other contributing factors, but at least some of the studies I referenced did this. For example, the Gulf War study notes: "the relationships we explore have been isolated after running controls for other explanatory variables".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
ryan_mcgreal's study seems to measure level of adopted misinformation rather than "smartness" or "dumbness"
As I wrote in my comment: "It might be a stretch to state that TV makes you dumber as such, but it is clearly correlated with higher levels of confusion and misinformation."

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 2:58 PM
Closed account

new issue of HMag is out...it is awesome!
Anyone know where this new National Steel Car building is?? I want to check it out.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

The Spec now has SpecTV, news video recaps.

Oh how I wish the CRTC awarded Torstar a TV channel instead of stupid Craig Media that gave us Toronto One, now the SUN TV that no one watches.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 4:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Canwest head says CH-TV programming unsustainable

November 22, 2008
Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator

Canwest Global head Leonard Asper is quoted on a website as saying the amount of local programming produced by CH-TV cannot be sustained.

"We're doing 35 hours a week in places like Hamilton and Victoria," the industry website Cartt.ca quoted Asper telling analysts in a conference call last week after his company announced 560 layoffs, 14 at CH-TV, due to massive losses.

It said Asper noted this cannot be sustained and predicted, "There's going to be a new norm in the obligations."

Asper's comments have come out at the same time he held a closed-circuit town-hall meeting Thursday with Global and E! staff (CH-TV is part of E!), in which he touched on the issue of obtaining flexibility in local broadcasting requirements from the CRTC.

His comments sent some CH-TV staff reeling as they deal not only with staff cuts, but the cancellation of four shows that will see the station's local hours drop to 37 hours from 41.5 hours Dec. 1.

"Almost nothing surprises us anymore," said Nick Garbutt, president of Local 1100 of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, which represents CH-TV's members.

He expects Canwest to seek a reduction of CH-TV's hours when its licence comes up for renewal in April.

Canwest spokesperson John Douglas was on the conference call and said yesterday, "I honestly don't know if he (Asper) made that comment or not, but if you go to the end of that quote ... ultimately, it will be up to the CRTC to determine every licence. It's not something we can unilaterally do."

He noted CTV has also asked for flexibility on requirements relating to conventional television.

"The conventional television model ... is broken. Today in the digital world, the cost structure is very, very different, and that model has not kept up with the time."

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Please, feel free to show us one that comes to the opposite conclusion.
This article from last month references some pieces of research that do just that:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...7527688.column

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:27 PM

Not Hamilton but anything in Toronto does effect us.

Quote:
CTV cuts 105 jobs in Toronto

TheSpec.com

CTV is cutting about 105 positions at its Toronto operations, according to a company spokeswoman.

It wasn't immediately clear what departments would be affected the television broadcaster, which also owns the TSN sports network, CTV Newsnet and MuchMusic among other properties.

Spokeswoman Bonnie Brownlee says staff are still being notified about the layoffs.

Earlier this month, CTVglobemedia president and CEO Ivan Fecan sent a letter to employees warning that falling advertising revenues would force the company to lay off workers and freeze hiring.

CTVglobemedia is owned 40 per cent by the Thomson family's privately held Woodbridge Co., 25 per cent by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, 20 per cent by Torstar Corp. (TSX: TS.B) and 15 per cent by BCE Inc. (TSX: BCE).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:51 PM
Raising the Hammer

http://www.raisethehammer.org/blog/1160

Merulla: CH News Should Address Council Over Programming Cuts

Councillor Sam "Have You Seen My Press Release" Merulla just issued a press release to advise that he will be asking the December 8, 2008 Committee of the Whole to put representatives from CHCH News on the hot seat over the station's proposed cuts to local news programming.

Much as I dislike seeing any reduction in local news coverage, I'm frankly not sure what Merulla is hoping to accomplish by asking CHTV News to address Council, other than possibly to score some rhetorical points. It's not as though Council can somehow simply compel Canwest Digital Media, the owners of CHTV, to increase their budget for local coverage.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
http://www.raisethehammer.org/blog/1160

Merulla: CH News Should Address Council Over Programming Cuts

Councillor Sam "Have You Seen My Press Release" Merulla just issued a press release to advise that he will be asking the December 8, 2008 Committee of the Whole to put representatives from CHCH News on the hot seat over the station's proposed cuts to local news programming.

Much as I dislike seeing any reduction in local news coverage, I'm frankly not sure what Merulla is hoping to accomplish by asking CHTV News to address Council, other than possibly to score some rhetorical points. It's not as though Council can somehow simply compel Canwest Digital Media, the owners of CHTV, to increase their budget for local coverage.

IMO in the near future there won't be much on tv on the news etc. As most people will be able to watch it on the net.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:09 PM
Closed account

Council's time would be better spent lobbying David Sweet and Dean Allison to pressure their government to extend funding to the CBC.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

I can't stand Merulla's tactics. Why must he have to tip his glass of water to get attention? A simple raise your hands would do like every other councilor.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

CHCH's Connie Smith signs off today
Canwest Global cuts claim city TV icon

November 28, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

Connie Smith leaves her TV anchor position at CHCH today, and for viewers it's like losing a trusted friend.

If the day unfolds as she hopes, Smith will have a chance for a brief goodbye today to her faithful viewing audience on the air, in her final newscast at noon.

Viewers can expect to see a seasoned professional in action, able to summon the grit to present a sunny disposition to the world, even when clouds intrude on her own life.

Smith leaves her CHCH News job of more than 30 years after parent company Canwest Global Communications recently announced a plan to save more than $61 million by cutting more than 560 jobs. CHCH is cutting 14 jobs, cancelling four TV programs and reducing local news coverage.

"I'm not really at liberty to say a whole lot. I'm hoping to say a little goodbye ... at the end of the show, and that will be it," Smith said.

Smith's longtime co-anchor, Dan McLean, who's been at the station since 1971, would not comment about his future.

The cuts are putting a very public face on the financial turmoil hitting many sectors.

It is adding up to a culture shock for area residents.

They have welcomed the familiar faces of the veteran CHCH employees into their homes for years. Now, it seems part of the city's identity is disappearing.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 2:46 PM
Raising the Hammer

I noticed in today's Spectator that the news section and the entertainment section had the same number of pages.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 9:53 PM

Actually, it's the GO section that was the same size as the news section at 22 pages. Entertainment is one of several subsections in GO, and covered five pages. Style and Food are other subsections in the GO section. There was a page for the stock market closing summary and a page for the 'Local People' too.

Is it unusual for a Friday paper to have a larger than usual GO Section? The Food columns in the Friday GO are usually several pages long, as opposed to the usual half-page bit Monday to Thursday.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 11:39 AM

End of an era in local TV
Anchor Dan McLean wraps lengthy career at CHCH
Mark McNeil
The Hamilton Spectator
(Dec 12, 2008)

His deep throaty voice has become as familiar in Hamilton as dust clouds over the city's steel mills.

But today at the end of a 6 p.m. television newscast, Dan McLean will sign off for the last time, ending a 28-year career as anchor at CHCH News.

McLean, 61, had been in negotiations with the station's management in recent weeks and "it became apparent that perhaps now is the time to step back and they go in whatever direction they are going to go in and I go in whatever direction I am going to go in," he said.

CHCH spokesperson Rebecca West said a decision about who will replace McLean "has not been finalized." But speculation is that anchors Nick Dixon and Michelle Dube will fill the void.

The departure of McLean comes after layoffs that saw on-air host Connie Smith leave and about a dozen other jobs eliminated. After restructuring and some rehirings in other departments, the number of people out of work is down to nine, said Nick Garbutt, president of Local 1100 of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, which represents workers at the station.

"We're not getting as many stories covered as we used to," he said. "I firmly believe that local management has the best interests of the station at heart. But decisions are being made in Winnipeg (by parent company Canwest Global Communications), and that concerns the employees in terms of job security and value to the viewer."

Canwest has been making major cuts in its media holdings to try to improve its beleaguered bottom line, and company head Leonard Asper was recently quoted as saying the amount of local programming produced by CH television was unsustainable.

"We're doing 35 hours a week in places like Hamilton and Victoria," the industry website Cartt.ca quoted Asper telling analysts in a conference call. "There's going to be a new norm in the obligations."

McMaster University sociology professor Imre Szeman said, "It is a real shame what Canwest is doing. I hope the (broadcasting regulator) CRTC will be strong in putting the onus on Canwest to maintain its local programming."

McMaster mass communications expert Graham Knight said he feels a void in local community coverage on television might be filled by new digital media offerings.

"The traditional role of television is changing. When something shrinks, it opens an opportunity for web-based alternatives to emerge," Knight said.

Councillor Bob Bratina, who is also a radio broadcaster at CHML, said, "They are not good changes at CHCH from a city perspective and I think things are going to get worse.

"Your credibility as a broadcaster loses somewhat when you get rid of people like Dan McLean.

"Everyone has to go at some time, but I am not sure that this is Dan's time. He still plays a prominent role in the community and has a level of respectability that someone else will have to work on for many years to attain."

McLean began at the station in 1971 as an announcer doing commercials and other voice parts. He moved on to host afternoon shows before being handed the anchor job in 1980. He said he will remember working with on-air personalities such as Tom Cherington and long-time anchor Norm Marshall.

McLean plans to work at marketing and public relations projects as well as on documentary films and educational television and to continue his community work.

"The future is something that I am looking forward to and Hamilton certainly hasn't seen the last of me yet."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 12:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think Dan used to have a radio show on CHML? Maybe he'll return to radio.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
It's Hammer Time

He kept it professional right to the very end.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:08 AM

What we as Hamiltonians need to do, is invest in our own radio stations, newspapers and television stations. Communities from across the city should look to starting volunteer-run newspapers for their neighbourhoods and community radio stations that would service larger communities.

Starting a radio station, for example, could be a project in community building. Multiple community associations could come together, raise money by holding fundraisers or asking for donations from local businesses. They could then go to our many local high schools, to Mohawk or to Mac and recruit budding on air and behind-the-scenes personalities to host shows, mix tracks and gather news stories for the station. These stations could highlight local talent by having local bands and artists showcase their stylings on air, which could help them land their first big break!

If we can't find any quality media in this city, then we should be creating it ourselves! And if not going so far as to start our own stations or papers, then supporting the Hamiltonians who have already taken the initiative like Ryan and RTH or Kevin McKay and the Mayday team.

Hope is not lost for media in Hamilton!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 12:35 PM

Hamilton a Steeltown blue collar

I turned on the TV this morning to watch the news and it was "Vanity Insanity" Is this permanent?
I flipped to channel 3 Global and Kimberley Fowler was doing the traffic.
CH morning was second rate and corny but it was local.
CH TV is totally out of touch with the real Hamilton. E television is geared to who. Not the average citizen of Hamilton, who cares about Hollywood and all thier personal drama, we have enough real drama here with the economy.
It is like the Spec, the fashion section talking about $400 outfits for the office, give me a break many people shop at Walmart for the savings.
CH TV has sunk to total mind diversion, I for one will move on and must use Global as my morning information update and weather.
Good-bye CH and I already gave up on the Spec and cancelled my subsciption as it is losing it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:04 PM

Whoa, Hold your horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
I turned on the TV this morning to watch the news and it was "Vanity Insanity" Is this permanent?
I flipped to channel 3 Global and Kimberley Fowler was doing the traffic.
CH morning was second rate and corny but it was local.
CH TV is totally out of touch with the real Hamilton. E television is geared to who. Not the average citizen of Hamilton, who cares about Hollywood and all thier personal drama, we have enough real drama here with the economy.
It is like the Spec, the fashion section talking about $400 outfits for the office, give me a break many people shop at Walmart for the savings.
CH TV has sunk to total mind diversion, I for one will move on and must use Global as my morning information update and weather.
Good-bye CH and I already gave up on the Spec and cancelled my subsciption as it is losing it.
If you will be watching Global for your morning fix, then you'll be watching CH sometime in January.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/536023

Quote:
John Douglas, spokesperson for the company, said the Global Ontario morning news, broadcasting from Toronto weekdays, will end in January and be replaced by a network show from Hamilton that has already proven more popular across Ontario.
I agree CH is a shadow of it's former self and seems to be getting to be an even smaller shadow with the loss of some long time on-air personalities and cancellations of local new programming.

But, at least they chose to cancel Toronto and air Hamilton in it's place. It could have been the other way around. The drawback on this is that the coverage will most likely take on a more Oakville & Toronto flavour.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:46 PM

Well, based on the assumption that it will be Hamilton coverage with an Oakville/Toronto taste. I suspect the format will be more the reverse, generic National news and limited local coverage.

Woke up this morning and tried tuning into CH Morning Live at the usual time and got muzak and the big red E! staring at me. Not good at all.

I'm assuming they eventually went on air. Was it a technical glitch, a later start because of the short week, or a permanent move to a later start?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy