HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 4:31 PM

Taken October 29, 2021.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 7:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus83 View Post
Taken October 29, 2021.

Hmm I thought the pillars were supposed to be white, not sure if I like the grey look..

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 8:33 PM

I thought white pillars would be nicer looking, but after seeing it - I think grey was the right choice. It fits better with the darker look of the building, plus I have to believe when they get dirty it won't be as noticeable.

Overall, I like the way this turned out.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 12:27 AM
Ham-burgher

I love it. That glass is really nice.

I wonder if they thought about going with a shade of red for the pillars (though there's already some like that downtown, at Commerce Place). Blue or green would be nice also.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:57 PM

Taken this morning.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 4:58 AM
Forever forward.

Exterior very very close to 100% finished. Hope they can take the hoarding down and reopen everything up soon.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 6:28 AM
Hamilton Historian

hmm it appears the pillars ARE white, that is good - must've just been bad lighting in the other picture. That is good - it needs the contrast of the white to set off the dark imo.

The seams between the glass look pretty rough on the side and back of the building though.. it's kinda odd.. are they finished? Also the lack of consistency in the "white outed" glass block patterns is kinda weird too.. perhaps that part isn't finished yet.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 4:44 PM
Ham-burgher

I wish this one was 4x taller. I love that glass.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 10:19 PM
Ham-burgher

I walked past the front of this today, and the pillars are light grey. They had the street numbering up next to the northwest corner too, projecting out from the glass (sorry I didn't grab a photo).

This looks really sharp.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 5:52 PM

Looking nearly done

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 4:15 AM
Hammer'd

The final part of this one seemed like it took forever. Will be nice to have that part of the sidewalk open again.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 2:32 PM

Just having Hughson St open again will be great. The pedestrian tunnel through there feels unsafe and is extremely uninviting.

Does anybody know if this has a retail unit at grade?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 3:21 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Just having Hughson St open again will be great. The pedestrian tunnel through there feels unsafe and is extremely uninviting.
I'd love to see the city close it to 'through' traffic, perhaps even keep the northern half restricted to pedestrian-only use. Same with the section between The Right House and Cobalt when construction is done -- keep it strictly for building access to vehicles, pedestrian/active otherwise. I think the impacts of both construction closures have been very minimal.

Last I saw Hughson is still supposed to be a pedestrian corridor to the GO Centre for LRT transfers anyway. If that's still the plan, I think there's no reason it can't start early! Even if it isn't, maybe it makes sense for the street to be largely vehicle-free.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 3:49 PM

I would support pedestrianizing it as much as possible between Wilson and Hunter, but there are a handful of driveway accesses along there that can't be closed that would limit it's ability to be fully closed - including this development.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I would support pedestrianizing it as much as possible between Wilson and Hunter, but there are a handful of driveway accesses along there that can't be closed that would limit it's ability to be fully closed - including this development.
I really wish we did what some places in Europe do and just have streets that are completely closed off unless you have a "garage opener" for the moveable bollard or gate.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 9:44 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Exactly. Keep it open at one end of each block for those users, all others find an alternate route if wanting to drive through.

Having selective access using what TheRitsman posted would be best but has that ever been done in Ontario, or Canada? I believe it would be a first in this city.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Exactly. Keep it open at one end of each block for those users, all others find an alternate route if wanting to drive through.

Having selective access using what TheRitsman posted would be best but has that ever been done in Ontario, or Canada? I believe it would be a first in this city.
They are definitely done on private property in Ontario. There is an Ontario company that actually does them.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:55 PM

nice to walk the streets take photos from areas usually in the path of cars and previously buses . like the scale of this one for Gore Park . By chance , any one know the current use of the neighbouring - old Bank of Hamilton building (or know the ad on the digital panel).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 8:53 PM

I knew it! That's definitely Mansion nightclub: https://instagram.com/mansion_hamilt...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I knew it! That's definitely Mansion nightclub: https://instagram.com/mansion_hamilt...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thanks for the link, interesting for sure

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton