HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:13 AM

If they could cover the structure with greenery and widen the sidewalks on Flower and/or Hope it could be tolerable.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 2:00 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

hugh, you're totally right! So this would mean closing down about 25-30% of the Macy's store to enable construction of the tower. I bet this is based on Macy's desire to either downsize or shut down the store altogether in the next few years, which makes sense given their current business and the business of retail in general. And I have no doubts on the structural integrity of this; they'll need to prove the structural integrity of the plans before they obtain a building permit.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 5:54 AM

Is there even a timeline for The Bloc tower?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
hugh, you're totally right! So this would mean closing down about 25-30% of the Macy's store to enable construction of the tower. I bet this is based on Macy's desire to either downsize or shut down the store altogether in the next few years, which makes sense given their current business and the business of retail in general. And I have no doubts on the structural integrity of this; they'll need to prove the structural integrity of the plans before they obtain a building permit.
"You are correct, Sir" as Ed McMahon always told Johnny. I agree, it will be built well if it gets approval. The approval process is strict, especially in regards to structural integrity.

But hopefully the Macy's stays. Given the DTLA pop. growth and the fact that is one of the few dept. stores there, I hope pwright below is right. Macy's...stay. In fact, maybe do a western version of the T'giving parade, on 7th and/or Fig. Great to see those big balloons (not in a Santa Ana wind though). Maybe Macy's could put its logo on the 33 story tower (the former Broadway Plaza tower) near their store, and keep some western U.S. offices there.

Is there still a restaurant on top of the Sheraton? I once had a drink and happy hour snacks there as it rotated, maybe 30 years ago. The Bonaventure rotating bar I frequented more commonly though. Great happy hour food and view for the price of a drink. Outdoor elevator was fun too, especially after a couple of drinks.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 14, 2021 at 7:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
This Macy's store is going nowhere. It's newly renovated and expanded. Plus it does quite well and is one of the top Macy's stores in the LA area.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:00 AM

Being a Brookfield Fig7th skeptic, it's turning out better than I had hoped, it looks to be not be so 'long-in-the-face' as presumed from the renders. But it is a shame it would block the BLOC building when viewing it from the north. Thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 2:05 PM

Of interest to the Bloc discussion, a property owner in Arlington, VA, is proposing turning a parking garage into a residential building. This is in the Crystal City neighborhood, where the Amazon II headquarters will be built.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...velopment.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This Macy's store is going nowhere. It's newly renovated and expanded. Plus it does quite well and is one of the top Macy's stores in the LA area.
Even the idea of the macys bldg being torn down makes absolutely no sense when dtla remains full of gaps, areas where surface parking lots still exist or old, small rundown bldgs still stand....

watch as this youtuber drives past all the land where the Olympia proj is supposed to go up, the land around the fig hotel, the car wash at the corner of Fig & olympic, & other properties further east. I notice barricades up around part of the car wash...is it being prepped for full closure & demo?

even the 2 photos posted by hughfb3 show the gap of that parking lot across Flower st, east of the mitsui apt proj

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Plus it does quite well and is one of the top Macy's stores in the LA area.
I always wonder about the retail, hotel, entertainment & cultural sales volume of dtla locations? Since apt bldgs in dt fill up rather fast or ok, that means slowness in getting new housing projs underway is less excusable. I'm looking at you, apt tower at the corner of 4th & hill, south of the grand central mkt, where the vacant taco house #1 stand still stands.....

Video Link

when I fast forward through this, it's kind of quiet...although when I scanned a video showing one of the big stores in nyc & chicago...its famous marshal fields....& they too were somewhat quiet.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:05 PM

Yeah, big downtown department stores throughout the nation are dependent for much of their business on office workers and tourists, two segments that COVID has depleted significantly these days. Meanwhile, Nordstrom at the Grove the other day was jam-packed.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 4:30 PM

from last evening, Brookfield looking to be passing 400ft now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
Awesome pic of Brookfield growing tall! Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
Going to have an incredible impact on the skyline from many angles. Great shot you got there.

Excited to watch both Brookfield and Mitsui Fudosan rise.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 5:27 AM

I just love how this tower is one of those zombie towers from the 90s that has died, risen, swapped hands a few times, was alive again, died again and finally got dirt moving....But just like Metropolis and others, we ended up getting the best proposal for the site. The previous proposal was interesting but this one is the winner for me.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 17, 2021 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:20 AM

Taken December 15, 2021. Pico Fig Hotel is a nice addition.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 9:27 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shot!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Wow that is a spectacular photo! LA probably has better DT w/ snow capped mountains in the backdrop than Denver does right now. The last storm was great for Southern California, more on the way next week.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Taken December 15, 2021. Pico Fig Hotel is a nice addition.
sorry, new yorkers or tokyoites, but pics like that are why I think dtla has its own unique niche as compared with a city famous for super talls or big city, ginza type density.

But....ok....LA is notorious for ppl being in cars instead of sidewalks. Bunker hill is particularly known for having largely empty plazas & walkways....but it does attract ppl when the time is right....The yr of 2020, early 2021 needs to be filed away in the history bks....

Video Link

Video Link

^ another interesting difference is that dt has way more diversity compared with cities like london or the major hubs of canada or asia. But that goes back to the city's beginning....I believe the small pueblo of LA was made up of ppl of white, black, Native, etc, background.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 10:49 AM

Something added,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
@Doctorboffin

Great compilation and kudos to you for taking the time to create it! I noticed you have the Brookfield tower at 655 feet. Could you provide a source for that? Urbanize LA has it at a height of 695 feet.
Also how did the 825 Olive Building go from 635 feet to 563 feet?
The 1212 Flower Buildings also downsized.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
@Doctorboffin

Great compilation and kudos to you for taking the time to create it! I noticed you have the Brookfield tower at 655 feet. Could you provide a source for that? Urbanize LA has it at a height of 695 feet.
On mobile right now, so I’ll grab the sources later, but Brookfield is a weird one. It is 695 Feet when measured from 8th street. However, it is 655 when measured from the entrance, which is on 7th. For whatever reason, for the diagrams, the mods mark that as the starting point for measurement, so I just used the same logic here, but long story short, it hasn’t been downsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinDPB View Post
Also how did the 825 Olive Building go from 635 feet to 563 feet?
The 1212 Flower Buildings also downsized.
These three unfortunately did get downsized. I’ll have to dig a bit to find the source on the Flower towers, but here’s a source for Olive.

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...street/26904//

In both cases though, using the elevation tool on google earth corroborates this. Not sure when or how the changes happened to the designs, but they got downsized. Same with Moxy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations