HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 11:06 PM

Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

Surprised there was no mention of this here:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../10/c8879.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../Business/home

Telus to join Toronto skyline
ELIZABETH CHURCH

Globe and Mail Update

TORONTO — Telus Corp. is adding its name to the Toronto skyline as the major tenant for a new 30-storey tower to be constructed beside the Air Canada Centre.

The $250-million tower is being built by privately held Menkes Developments Ltd. through a joint venture partnership with Hospitals of Ontario Pension Plan and U.S. private investor, Halcyon Partners Fund. Construction is expected to begin this fall with a target date for completion of January 2009.

Telus has leased 60 per cent of the 780,000-square-foot tower and plans to move 2,000 workers to the site as part of a major consolidation and expansion effort in Ontario.

"We see Toronto as a significant growth market for us," said Andrea Goertz, vice-president of Enterprise Services at Telus. The Vancouver-based firm plans to move staff from 15 different locations throughout the Toronto area to two sites, one in Scarborough on the east side of the city and the new building downtown.

Telus currently has 400 staff working in the city centre, but Mr. Goertz said the new tower will allow all staff involved in services to business clients to work out of out of the same location and in close proximity to major customers. The building, situation between the Gardiner Expressway and a major commuter rail line, will also give the firm huge visibility on the city's skyline.

"It will be like a jewel box,' said Peter Menkes, president of commercial and industrial projects at his family's firm, when asked to describe the new, glass-clad tower. The building will belinked directly to Union Station to the north andis the first office project for the firm in the downtown,which until now has focused its office development inthe north end of the city.

Yesterday's announcement was widely expected and follows a competition that concluded in May with the selection of the Menkes site. The decision by Telus to consolidate staff in the city centre, rather than at a suburban location, is a shot in the arm for Toronto's downtown. The site has long been pegged for office development by the city, but has sat empty for years because of lack of demand.

The Telus building is the second major downtown office project announced this year after more than a decade of little activity. This spring, Cadillac Fairview, the property arm of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board announced a tower on the western side of the downtown near Roy Thomson Hall. Brookfield Properties Corp. also is expected to announce this summer that construction will begin at its long-dormant Bay-Adelaide site.

Telus shares trading down 10 cents at $45.30 on the Toronto stock market Monday.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 11:26 PM
Back from the dead

^Gack ! Why I'd actually go so far as to say that the new Manitoba Hydro tower looks better than that thing. I really don't think too much of the new MB. Hydro headquarters so I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. Can't Toronto city council MAKE them build something even moderately pleasing to the eye ? Or, more to the point, make them build something that doesn't cause people to pluck their own eyes out with flaming forks ?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 1:01 AM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket
^Gack ! Why I'd actually go so far as to say that the new Manitoba Hydro tower looks better than that thing. I really don't think too much of the new MB. Hydro headquarters so I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. Can't Toronto city council MAKE them build something even moderately pleasing to the eye ? Or, more to the point, make them build something that doesn't cause people to pluck their own eyes out with flaming forks ?
whats so bad about it....? its not tall, and it isnt beautifull..but it isnt ugly, its a nice tower.

I used to be a schizphrenic, but we're okay now

My SSP diagram
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m15179

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 3:10 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Gack ! Why I'd actually go so far as to say that the new Manitoba Hydro tower looks better than that thing. I really don't think too much of the new MB. Hydro headquarters so I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. Can't Toronto city council MAKE them build something even moderately pleasing to the eye ? Or, more to the point, make them build something that doesn't cause people to pluck their own eyes out with flaming forks ?
I'm now extremely interested in what you find pleasing to the eye - care to provide some examples? (not that you necessarily are one of them but, I hate those that automatically deem anything bulkier than your average Vancouver residential highrise as worthy of gouging ones own eyes out )

not sure of the podium but the tower is better than anything I could have ever imagined from NYCC's dominant developer

so can we expect a 25 storey Hearst or BoA replica for phase 2 across the street?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 6:30 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin'
I'm now extremely interested in what you find pleasing to the eye - care to provide some examples? (not that you necessarily are one of them but, I hate those that automatically deem anything bulkier than your average Vancouver residential highrise as worthy of gouging ones own eyes out )

not sure of the podium but the tower is better than anything I could have ever imagined from NYCC's dominant developer

so can we expect a 25 storey Hearst or BoA replica for phase 2 across the street?
Okay, I expected to not be taken quite so seriously on that so I'll retract the most offensive adjectives. Nevertheless, here's why I don't like it, the new MB Hydro HQ and every other building like it :
They're blocks. They're boring blocks. The only attempts made to make them look even remotely original involve throwing some strange sort of industrial-looking lattice-type work on the exteriors. They look just like something you'd see built in the sixties. I look at this style of design as 60's era buildings built today. To know what they'll look like in twenty or thirty years, I simply look at what remains today from the sixties. Those are quite possibly the most boring, uninspired , and downright cheap looking architectural creations in the history of architecture. That's just my opinion and I can undestand if nobody agrees but frankly, I think downtown Toronto should expect better than a box with almost no redeeming qualities that I can see based on the rendering.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 4:08 PM
I am the law!

That's where we differ - I'd take this version of European high-tech over the cheap modernism of the seventies, the awful post-modernism of the eighties, and the pathetic faux historical of today

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 8:50 PM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
That's where we differ - I'd take this version of European high-tech over the cheap modernism of the seventies, the awful post-modernism of the eighties, and the pathetic faux historical of today
I cant tell you how much i agree with you, the look of this building is very high tech post modern, and it is a very nice look, most of the new skyscrapers being proposed in Toronto have it. The ONLY downside about the building is its height.

My SSP diagram

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 11:53 PM

You have to understand that what you cll "boxes" are basically towers with large floor plates that serve the needs of the tenants. You can propose some twisting or round office building, but if its not what tenants want in a building, the developer is never going to get the thing built.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2006, 7:03 PM
gettin' rich!

I like boxes...just wish this one was taller.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2006, 12:42 AM

I work for RBC Financial, and our department recently made the move from 180 Wellington to Bell Trinity Square. The reason? RBC wanted us all to be on one floor and the floorplates were not large enough at 180 Wellington, but they were the right size at Bell Trinity Square. It just makes sense to have larger floorplates and preferably square.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2006, 11:45 PM
samsonyuen

By Albert Warson

Jul 1, 2006 12:00 PM

For 12 years, the Town of Markham, on Toronto's northeast fringe, was in limbo as developers, elected officials and residents wrangled over how to enliven the city's downtown. At stake was a 243-acre site, redevelopment of which will reshape this city of 265,000 residents.

Government officials especially have been concerned about containing urban sprawl. And it has taken intense back-and-forth talks with developers The Remington Group to come up with a plan, unveiled in late June, that everyone, finally, seems to be happy with.

The deal was announced with great fanfare as the developers and city officials stood together triumphantly and held a press conference unveiling the $2.66-billion project, which will take 20 years to build out.

How was Remington able to break the deadlock after so long? The answer is mixed-use.

“The incentive 10 or 12 years ago would have been to do a conventional development, and get in and get out quickly,” says Rudy Bratty, Remington's chairman and CEO. “By following the municipality's preference for New Urbanism [enshrined in Markham's official plan], you get more density, but you have to be far more patient getting to the point of construction.”

The trend that U.S. developers have been pushing for the past two years is now making the leap north of the border. And Canadian developers are not just aping the idea of blending uses, but also seeing the projects as a key part of revitalizing urban cores. The majority of the mixed-use developments in the works are in Canadian cities, with projects sprouting in and around Quebec, Vancouver and Toronto that blend retail, office, residential, hotel and other uses.

Remington's Markham will combine Euro-style streets, lined with small shops, with condos and other commercial uses, and the 243-acre development will be interspersed with parks and other public spaces. First up: 200 condominiums and 175 townhouses. After that, 1 million square feet of commercial space ranging from luxury retail, small shops, a boutique hotel, restaurants, cinemas, cafes and nightclubs, will follow, as well as 4.2 million square feet of office space.

In developing the plan, Bratty — along with Markham mayor Don Cousens — made repeated trips around the U.S. looking at how cities were approaching urban revitalization. There they saw examples, such as City Center in West Palm Beach, Fla., that helped shape their vision. In the end, Cousens and Bratty hope that by 2026, developers and city officials from all over the continent will be making similar treks to Markham to follow its example on how to rebuild.

“This is a model that will be emulated by many municipalities across North America, as a solution to urban sprawl,” Cousens says.

Blake Hudema, an urban planner and president of Hudema Consulting Group Limited, believes mixed-use will work in Canada and he expects it to progress more smoothly than it will within the U.S.

“Canada in some respects can lead this development,” Hudema says. “Our inner cities are much more vibrant, typically, than many U.S. cities, where there is a need for a lot of revitalization. Most Canadian cities are healthy and offer a good platform for developers and investors to look at [when considering] redevelopment into mixed-use centers.”

Inner cities, he says, are good places for “densification.” Around Vancouver, land is scarce and expensive. That, he says, “is creating an impetus to create a greater amount of mixed-use. We've also always had fairly intense, dense development, so developers, investors, retailers and customers are attuned to underground or structured parking.”

Although many parts of Canada are embracing mixed-use, the province of Alberta, where the office vacancy rate is a microscopic 2 percent, is an exception. There, six high-rise office towers are under construction, but no other uses are involved.

Edmonton, closest to the oil sands drilling projects in the far northern reaches of the province, is the same. Robert Knight, vice president, retail, of Western Canada, Oxford Properties Group, says, “the Bay and Sears department store anchors function like regional shopping centers in downtown Calgary and are renovated and upgraded periodically, but there are no mixed-use centers.” Nor do they exist in the provincial capital: Edmonton City Centre downtown, with its three high-rise office towers, which is essentially the same as similar developments in other Canadian cities, with their bustling retail concourses.

“People will come downtown on weekends for shopping and entertainment, although parking is difficult and they work there during the week, so there is no novelty,” he says. Mixed-use is not hugely popular with local developers because there are “significant operating challenges. It's great to think of adding a hotel into a cluster of office buildings, but it's hard to add on and could obstruct views,” Knight says. “The crossover between hotel guests utilizing the retail to a significant degree is so-so. Tourists staying at a hotel will likely shop at its stores, but business guests will shop when they're back home.”

But aside from Alberta, the rest of Canada seems won to the concept.

Peter Sharpe, Cadillac Fairview Corp. Limited president and CEO noted at an ICSC regional conference in Montreal in June that, “many of the new projects underway in Canada appear more ‘hybrid’ in nature, combining various elements of design and function and offering a different glimpse of the future. It is a trend to pay attention to.”

“No one is building enclosed malls.”

Jean-Francois Breton, copresident of development company Le Groupe Devimco, noted at the ICSC conference that, “demand is very strong because no one is building enclosed malls in Quebec.”

RioCan Real Estate Income Trust, Toronto, the largest REIT in Canada, has a 50 percent interest in the Quartiers Dix 30 project outside Montreal. The firm is contemplating expanding the 1.5-million-square-foot mall, which hasn't even opened yet, with a hotel and convention center.

In neighboring Ontario, Toronto Eaton Centre's cavernous 1.6 million square feet of retail space, meshed with three high-rise office towers and a 459-room hotel, will be completed this fall after unfolding for nearly 30 years. The last pieces on its downtown city block include three new levels of parking, a new three-story business school and 130,000 square feet of new large-format retail.

John Sullivan, senior vice president, of development with The Cadillac Fairview Corporation (CF), Toronto, says the company is scouting large mixed-use opportunities in Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

“Fifteen years ago the focus was on huge regional malls and huge downtown office buildings. Today there isn't a great demand for either of them. We want to keep that same scale, but because of the demand for individual components, we're mixing it up a bit,” he says.

Inside out

The company is redeveloping its 50-year-old Don Mills Shopping Centre, in suburban Toronto. At the time of construction, the 462,000-square-foot mall sat in a 200-acre greenfield site. The mall was enclosed in 1978. Development around the site has put it in a more urban setting. So Cadillac Fairview is starting from scratch. It demolished the center early this summer and will put in its place an open-air, mixed-use town center development with retail in the first phase and residential in the second phase.

A similar story is unfolding in Vancouver, where the first open-air shopping center there, the 56-year-old, 1.2-million-square-foot Park Royal Shopping Centre, has also morphed into a mixed-use project. In addition to retail, it now has 100,000 square feet of office and self-storage space and 500 rental apartment units.

The land under the center is owned by a First Nations group, to which the mall's developer, Larco Investments Ltd., pays rent. That relationship has eased the project's transformation as First Nations has given Larco flexible zoning, which enables multiple uses close to each other.

“Shopping center land is typically zoned for specific uses, and municipal planners have become very single-purpose-oriented. We had the flexibility to do different types of real estate, depending on market,” says Rich Amantea, Larco's vice president.

Nearby, Larco is trying to take advantage of the open zoning to build Morgan Crossing, which Amantea describes as “Canada's first pure mixed-use project, from the ground up,” which, if approved by First Nations, will contain 450,000 square feet of lifestyle retail and 450 condo units. He expects to start construction early next year and open in the fall of 2008.

“Residential development is generally driving mixed-use from a retail standpoint,” Amantea says. “Developers want to build residential, and planners want a soft street-side edge to them, so they're encouraging residential developers to do retail street level to achieve greater social interaction with the local community.”

Success not guaranteed

While mixed-use centers tend to meet developers' expectations, success is not always guaranteed. Financial performance can be mixed. Hazelton Lanes, in Toronto's upscale Yorkville neighborhood, for example, was developed in the late 1970s by William Louis-Dreyfus, chairman of the New York-based Louis Dreyfus Group.

It incorporated retail, office and residential uses (some of the condo units have 2,000-square-foot terraces) in a single, medium-rise and very classy building. It was a winner for many years, but then retail began to slide and that segment bled red ink for years. It didn't recover until a new owner brought in Whole Foods Market Inc., an Austin, Texas-based chain of organic food supermarkets.

It was the first Whole Foods store in Canada, and it was successful from the day it opened, which has also turned Hazelton Lanes' retail around.

Ivanhoe Cambridge's MetroTown in suburban Barnaby, for example, with the largest regional shopping center in British Columbia (1.7 million square feet of commercial space) has a new Hilton Hotel with conference facilities, among other uses.

Keeping people in the city

And under construction is Grosvenor Canada's The RISE, a 290,000-square-foot development on a sloping, 2.2-acre full block under construction in downtown Vancouver. It's designed for 10,000- to 60,000-square-foot retail tenants and 92 residential units which will actually sit on top of the center. Not everybody gets to have a shopping center in their basement.

“It keeps people in the inner city from driving out to suburban shopping centers, so there is less traffic congestion [and polluted air] and it brings more new-format retailers downtown,” Hudema says.

Entertainment centers (cinema multi-plexes/game arcades/food concessions) will be “cautiously developed” in newer mixed-use centers because of high construction costs and unpredictable income (except for popcorn sales). Residential and other commercial developments are a more likely category, such as Bosa Properties' Highgate Village residential/commercial project in Burnaby, which is being built on a former strip mall site.

Some mixed-use centers don't start out that way. Aberdeen Centre, a 380,000-square-foot Asian mall in suburban Richmond, B.C., is one example. Michael Heeney, executive director of Bing Thom Architects in Vancouver, which designed the mall, says Thomas Fung [chairman and CEO of The Fairchild Group, a mixed media enterprise], decided to integrate a 120-unit condo into the mall a few years after it was built.

It is under construction, Heeney says, and in the meantime Fung has moved most of his office and broadcasting studios into the complex, which also allows him to offer on-site print and broadcast promotional services to his tenants.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 10:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Bay Adelaide beings construction next week!!!!!! yippee

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 10:36 PM

^ What's the hurry on this thing ?

Seriously, it was about to begin construction when I was in Toronto in 1990, I think it was. Anyway, great news. And this is the best design yet, IMO.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 4:40 PM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
^ What's the hurry on this thing ?

Seriously, it was about to begin construction when I was in Toronto in 1990, I think it was. Anyway, great news. And this is the best design yet, IMO.
it did start construction..hence the huge ass stump they had to demolish lol. And it may look like a nice design but you should have seen the previous 253m design..so much nicer.

My SSP diagram

Last edited by neilioo; Jul 19, 2006 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 1:46 AM

Kind of like the Telus building. Looks very German from the eighties with a dab of post modernism. At 30 floors it should in reality be a little taller than the rendering suggests. Will be good to finally have the old train yards filled up although will never be the same as with the trains. Appart from relatively cheap parking downtown wide hole just disconnected waterfront from city. - ice.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilioo
it did start construction..hence the huge ass stump they had to demolish lol. And it may look like a new design but you should have seen the previous 253m design..so much nicer.
If you mean the WZMH design with the spire, I thought it looked pretty boffo at the time, but seems rather dated at this point.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 2:33 PM
I am the law!

"hence the huge ass stump they had to demolish lol"

the stump still stands as well as the two highrises where the tower is going

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 5:22 PM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
"hence the huge ass stump they had to demolish lol"

the stump still stands as well as the two highrises where the tower is going
shitty, i thought they were moving faster then that..ok ill refraise it..the stump that thet stiull have to demolish.. lol

My SSP diagram

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilioo
shitty, i thought they were moving faster then that..ok ill refraise it..the stump that thet stiull have to demolish.. lol
Thankfully it will be demolished shortly.

They are obligated to get rid of the stump for the Bay-Adelaide complex's park as they construct the building, Bay-Adelaide Centre West.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 11:49 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business

End nears for Toronto's Bay-Adelaide 'stump'
Brookfield to unveil revamped plans to develop mothballed tower site today
SHIRLEY WON

The "stump," a tragic landmark of the early 1990s recession, is about to disappear from downtown Toronto.

Brookfield Properties Corp. today will take the wraps off its proposal for a new office tower to be built on the mothballed site, with KPMG LLP as the anchor tenant. Under the new plans, the six-storey, ugly reminder of the past devastation of the real estate industry will be demolished.

The accounting firm has three offices in Toronto, including its headquarters at Commerce Court West.

Work on the proposed Bay-Adelaide Centre halted in 1993, leaving a grey, concrete elevator core on top of a parking garage that has affectionately been known as "the stump" ever since.

The project is the latest of three skyscrapers slated for the city's core after a hiatus of some 15 years following the collapse of the Toronto office market in the early 1990s.

Tom Farley, president of Brookfield's Canadian operations indicated in April that revised plans call for a 1.1-million-square-foot office tower with an adjacent hotel and condominium development. There are also long-term plans for a second office tower on the site.

In May, Toronto city council gave the nod to a 50-storey office tower to replace two low-rise buildings on the Bay-Adelaide site. A public square has been designated for the part occupied by the "stump."

The project is expected be completed by 2009 -- the same year as two other major office towers that have already been announced for downtown Toronto.

Raymond Wong, national research director for real estate company CB Richard Ellis Ltd., said the three new projects will add 3.1-million square feet of premium office space, but there won't be a glut.

The three projects will push the vacancy rate up to 10.6 per cent from 3.9-per-cent rate projected for 2008, and the current 6.8-per-cent rate, Mr. Wong said yesterday in an interview.

"It's a far cry from 1993 when [vacancy] was at 18.6 per cent, so this 10.6 per cent is almost a balanced market," Mr. Wong added. "There are no major dangers to the office market."

Last week, privately held Toronto-based Menkes Developments Inc. announced the building of a $250-million, 30-storey tower beside the Air Canada Centre.

Vancouver-based telecommunications company Telus Corp. is the lead tenant, and is taking up 60 per cent of the 780,000-square-foot tower.

Last December, Toronto-based Cadillac Fairview Corp. signed Royal Bank of Canada to be lead tenant in its new 43-storey, 1.2-million-square-foot tower to be built at Simcoe and Wellington Streets, beside the new Ritz-Carlton Hotel. The tower will be known as the RBC Centre.

New York-based Brookfield, the real estate arm of Toronto-based Brookfield Management Inc., began to revive the Bay-Adelaide project last fall after buying the 50-per-cent stake it did not already own from Canadian National Railway Co.'s pension fund.

First approved by Toronto city council in 1989, the Bay-Adelaide site was slated for a 57-storey office tower. A plan to restart the project in 1999 stalled after an anchor tenant could not be found.

The last major office tower built in downtown Toronto was the Maritime Life Tower developed by O&Y Properties Corp. at the corner of Queen and Yonge Streets in 2003.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations